Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook!

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Facebook!

There are lists you can create for who sees what and with each friend you can now control what you see from them. But it was a status post from an old high school friend that said 'Anyone want to go see Bob Seger with me?' that had me sending her a message and going to one of the best concerts I've ever been to! It was worth it for that alone!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I have a Facebook account, but the only reason I have it is to see pictures that my nieces post. Like some others said, I'm not really concerned about the privacy issue. I figure if I don't want the world to know about something, then I wouldn't put it on there. My issue with it is time. I remember when I created my account about 1 - 1 1/2 years ago, within a couple of hours, I got something like 14 friend requests. And honestly, some of them were from some folks that I really didn't want to be friends with. I thought to myself "Oh crap, what have I done!" I know a Facebook friend is supposed to be different from a real friend, but I'm old school - to me a friend is a friend. It makes me feel bad not accepting a friend request because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. The other problem is that I don't post on my Facebook at all, again because of time, and again, I feel bad when I go in and see all these comments that people have left me and I don't respond to them. I have considering deleting my account, but haven't made up my mind yet. Honestly though, I can't ever see myself spending a lot of time on it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Thanks for the feedback. I don't think I will bother.

I use FB quite a bit but our family is so big and we're spread out all over the world (relatives in Australia and Brazil) so it's a great way for us to keep up with each other. I've got my privacy settings so that I only share with the people of my choice so if someone isn't on my Friends list they can't see my Wall. I think all of my aunts, uncles and cousins are on FB. Even my Grams used it before she died.
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

I only joined this year after my BIL Chuck was diagnosed with ALS. I simply want to know anything he is thinking or feeling. That's what I like about FB - people who you see all the time (relatives, coworkers) put stuff on there that you didn't know about because you simply didn't think about that subject at the time you were with them in person. Or Willie for example will post something about forgetting to buy peanut brittle from the church this holiday season, and it reminds me of the wonderful peanut brittle my mother makes. Last night after work my friend and coworker Alexsa took her 1 1/2 year old son to see Santa and she posted the picture on FB when she got home. That picture was priceless! I loved seeing it. Yes, my younger relatives talk in such code I don't even know what they're talking about but that's okay - I just scroll past it! If you don't care that someone you care about is winding down with a cup of tea after a rought day at work, or if you don't care to hear that someone's is up watching an old movie because they can't sleep, then FB probably isn't for you. But if I care about someone, that kind of stuff is golden.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

I'm with you, Dreamer. I really don't have the time, energy or interest to keep my page active. I opened the account mainly to be able to access posts from family and friends, but like you I've received way more "friend" requests than I could deal with. If I didn't like you in High School, why in the world would I want to be "friends" now. Guess I may be a bit anti-social, but I think it's kind of pointless. No offense to FB lover's. I'm happy for you that you have an online outlet. It's just not for me.

Cathy, that was such a sweet post! That's basically how I feel, too.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

I think Faecbook is great for keeping up with friends, especially ones that don't live closeby. I don't post on it as much as I once did, but I log on every day to see what's going on with my friends.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I thought I'd put my 5c worth here about Facebook:

I joined in August 2010, after resisting for a very long time, but I eventually realised that it would work as a wonderful marketing tool, considering that I'm in the entertainment industry.

I have made contact with long-lost relatives and friends, and I use the Chat facility to talk to even very close friends, who find that phone calls, text messages and e-mails are more expensive and/or cumbersome to use.

I can access Facebook from my phone when I'm not at the office, which helps. I can say a lot more in a Facebook private message than I can in a text message, and it costs a lot less.

I have certain privacy settings, and I haven't had any real problems with undesirables. Only one nasty little person blocked me - his loss, not mine.

I do have "friends" on FB who I don't know personally, but who have been drawn to me through common interests which I have shared in my profile. I don't mind that at all - I end up hearing news about some of my favourite artists that I wouldn't have heard about otherwise. Heck, I found out that the Eagles were visiting South Africa through a friend, who I have yet to meet, who posted on FB that she was going to the Cape Town concert!

If anyone does hassle you on FB, you can just "unfriend" them or block them. They are actually quite strict: if anything is posted on FB that they find undesirable, they delete your profile.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Border Desperado Midnight_Flyer's Avatar

i use it to keep in touch with family and friends

this is mine http://www.facebook.com/corinne.smith.106 add me if you want to