Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook!

Default Re: Facebook!

I have a facebook but I rarely get on it. I'm on myspace more than facebook. I'm the same as Willie, I use it took keep in touch with my family and I have also gotten in touch with friends from highschool. I'll get back on there sometime and get ya added.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

I've got it too. I'm more on Facebook than on MySpace or Hyves (kinda facebook thing) because my mom is on those both sites too and on the moment I'm not in the mood that she can read everything what I write...

You can add me if you want at Facebook!
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I tend to use Myspace more. By chance last year I put in the name of a girl I was very friendly with in Boston 20 years ago this summer. We had worked together as students, kept in touch for a while, promised to revisit..........and never did. I sent her a pm but noted that it had been months since she had logged onto Myspace so I didn't hold out. So imagine my surprise when a few weeks ago I got a pm from her on Myspace confirmimg that she IS who I thought she was and that she remembered me!! Small world and getting smaller.

Willie! I'll check you out!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Looks like Facebook's about to make some major changes....

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/indus...05366542.story

Any thoughts?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I have the Facebook bug-reporting screen bookmarked already. I test web applications for a living, I can't seem to help myself.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

I found this old thread & wanted an update on how many of us use Facebook. I don't because I am worried about the privacy implications. I have read so many horror stories about it & about how Facebook 'owns' your information. On the other hand not everybody is on The Border when I am & I thought this might be a different way to communicate with some of you. What do people think? What are the advantages and disadvantages? It's like having a mobile phone; for so long I have resisted it but I will probably have to get one next year & if I do I tend to think 'why not start using Facebook'?

Also what about Twitter? I don't see the need for that at all. Should that be a separate thread?

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

FP, I live on FB. I've been on it since early 2008 and reconnected with a lot of old friends and made some new ones as well.

It is true that FB owns your information, including pictures. However, your email provider owns your emails and their attachments, and your cell provider owns your text messages.

As for privacy, well, it is true that even with strict controls (that generally always work), it's easy to make mistakes. My policy is that if you don't want the world to see it, don't put it anywhere (including email because someone can always forward it.)

What I've found recently is that you can 'like' things and they come into your News Feed. You don't need to go to websites or even the TV to find things out. Top news stories from my local news channel appear. Concerts from my favorite artists and groups (except the OBVIOUS ones who doesn't have FB pages) show up. Updates from my favorite sports teams. And when you do see an interesting article that your friends might be interested in, you can easily 'share' it.

I'd be lost without it!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'm a bit curious about Fb too. There is more talk about it here now. People mention that they saw something on someone's Fb and then I feel like I'm behind on the news. But I've been scared of it too from bad reports about it.

I joined a year or so ago and I kept getting friended by my nieces and nephews and all their talk. I was like, I really am too old to be reading all this stuff about them. I didn't want to be their friends or know every move they were making. So, I deleted my account.

Since then I've gotten a lot of messages from email that someone searched for me on Fb. That kind of creeps me out.

It seems like so many people spend so much time on it. I just don't have the time. I mean, I spend a lot of time here already. Why do I need another place? Except of course to talk with those that aren't on The Border!

I'm not even interested in Twitter.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I have been on FB for about a year now. I also resisted going on it, but I have reunited with several high school & even Jr. high school friends.
    There are Privacy Settings there, so you do have some control over what information goes out there. I use it, but don't go crazy with it. Sometimes I don't go on for several days. I find I can also get info on my favorite bands, & things that interest me.

I also use Twitter, but not that often. There are times I vent on there & you can see what opinions others have on things, as they are happening. I think it's fun, but I also don't go nuts with it!!!

So far, I have not had any privacy issues or problems with either of them. If you are careful about what information you post, I think it's safe....Just be smart about what you post! Have fun with it.

I often post Eagles info & videos on FB to keep my friends interested in the band.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I am on FB but only use it in spurts. The kids where I teach are on it but when they ask me am I, I lie and say I'm not. I really don't want to 'friend' my 15 year old students, no more than I want them seeing anything about my private life.FB is blocked at work anyway, so I don't get the chance to get on during the day. I tend to use it during my holidays a bit, or when I'm off sick but don't wait for a reply from me! I prefer messages via email. I have more control over that.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP