About 6 or 8 years ago, our Catholic church acquired a new 20-something music director, Joe, that turned our music ministry around. Finally, we had singing and music and choirs that we could be part of and be proud of. A few years ago, in a portion of the annual Mass where the priest was installing the new Eucharistic ministers and lectors, the young director was simply playing instrumental hymns on the piano. At one point, a male friend in front of me and I simultaneously realized that Joe was subtly playing Springsteen's "Racing in the Streets" in the same key and tempo as the previous hymns. We both looked at each other in disbelief; and then became even more amazed that no one else seemed to realize it! (Least of all, the priest!) After Mass, I went up to Joe and called him on it...all he did was smile broadly.

A couple of months ago, the same situation arose, and this time I heard Joe add U2's "Where the Streets Have No Name" in the midst of a series of instrumental hymns. Again, I went up to him after Mass, and he admitted that the key of that U2 song was perfect for the hymns surrounding it. And still, the powers that be (ie, the clergy) have no idea of these few forays into the rock world. Unfortunately, Joe is leaving our church at the end of June for another position...I am truly sorry to see him go. He certainly added so much to our church in the years he has been with us!