Thread: The sisters that introduced Glenn to JD Souther

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Stuck on the Border

Default Honey Ltd/Mama Cats

We've all heard about how Glenn followed a girlfriend to California where he met JD Souther who was dating/married to Glenn's girlfriend's sister.

The sisters were part of a four piece girl group who were called The Mama Cats when they were in Michigan but changed the name to Honey Ltd when they got to California. I believe I've read that Bob Seger dated one of the other girls in the group, too. Laura Creamer (Polkinghorne) has worked as a backing singer with Bob and Glenn and Glenn provided backing vocals on one of her albums.

I found this interview where Alex and Joan Sliwin of the women discuss their first album, along with photos and links to youtube.

http://www.self-titledmag.com/2013/0...wood-sessions/

This one does mention Glenn and JD:
    http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/enter...d8ZKbBTbDs5xH/
    During this time, the sisters also played a small role in the formation of music’s next big thing — the Eagles. Frey was Joan’s boyfriend (“I’m pretty sure I wasn’t the only one,” Joan says of their fluid relationship), and had followed her from Detroit to L.A., staying at her apartment and hoping to break into the West Coast recording scene.
    Naturally, Joan’s boyfriend was introduced to Alex’s husband, and Souther and Frey formed a band called Longbranch Pennywhistle. They released one album, with Joan’s inside cover drawings and a dedication to both sisters as their inspiration.
    After that album didn’t take off, Frey soon created the Eagles with Don Henley, and Souther would be like an ex-facto member of the group, co-writing several of their hits, from “Best of My Love” to “New Kid In Town.” Would it have happened without the Sliwin sisters? Probably, but their part has been overlooked in histories of the band.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 05-05-2017 at 11:07 AM.