Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Obamapalooza

Default Obamapalooza

I just finished watching We Are One, the 2-hr. live broadcast of the concert on the Washington Mall in honor of Barack Obama. It was wonderful, and I wanted to let you all know that HBO is rebroadcasting it tonight at 7 pm ET/PT and 11:30 pm ET/PT. If you don't have HBO (which we don't), go to www.hbo.com a few minutes ahead of time, and register in the lower right hand corner. At least for the live broadcast, they showed it online; I can only assume they will at the 2 later rebroadcasts. The artists were top-notch: Springsteen, Mary J. Bligh, Bon Jovi, JT, Josh Groban, Sheryl Crow, John Mellencamp, Garth Brooks, U2, Beyonce, Pete Seeger. Each musician would sing 1 -3 songs, and then an actor or other celebrity would speak some awe-inspiring words about history and our future. Really made me feel warm and fuzzy, and teary, all at the same time!

Best performance for me? Surprisingly, Garth Brooks "brought the house down"--ever think you'd see a half million people all doing "Shout"?? (A song that my hubby and I banned our wedding band from playing at our reception, but it worked on the Washington Mall!) Garth played that amid 2 other songs that just really clicked for this event...American Pie, and Be Free. He plays shortly after the one hour point. But, everyone is worth watching, so I would plan on it!

And, the ending was the real tear-jerker for me. First, Barack's eloquent speech of 5 or 6 minutes with no notes, no teleprompter...that man just has it! Never mind that he can groove better than any previous Prez, judging from the camera pans over to him boppin' to the music. (They didn't show the First Family at all during Shout, so I can't tell you if he went lower on "a little bit softer now..."). And THEN, EVERYONE on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial--singers, actors, athletes--all singing This Land is Your Land with Pete Seeger and Bruce Springsteen leading them. Them, and a half million people. God Bless America!

Default Re: Obamapalooza

It sounds great EV. Although I'm not a big country fan, I do appreciate Garth Brooks!

This is indeed a historic time for our country. I pray for it and President-elect Obama.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I just saw bits and pieces of this on news broadcast.

I agree he does have a way with words all on his own with no one telling him what to say.

I am anxious to see what he has to say tomorrow but know I will probably cry. He has a way of moving people. There is so much riding on his presidency, it just makes you proud and scared all at the same time. Does that make any sense?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    I just saw bits and pieces of this on news broadcast.

I agree he does have a way with words all on his own with no one telling him what to say.

I am anxious to see what he has to say tomorrow but know I will probably cry. He has a way of moving people. There is so much riding on his presidency, it just makes you proud and scared all at the same time. Does that make any sense?
    Don't be scared. Have faith.

I hope Obama does a great job as President and I'm behind him, but I do worry that a lot of people I know are expecting too much of him, too fast.

He's not going to be able to fix everything. That's beyond the scope of any President. I think we, as the American people, often put too much on our Presidents to "fix" things - or blame them when things go bad - when many of our problems come from our own choices as a nation. The financial crisis we're currently undergoing is one example.

We can't just look TO Obama. We have to work WITH Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan
    No reason to be scared. Regardless of whether or not he succeeds - and I hope he does - it's not the end of the world. Just as no one President can fix everything, no one President can destroy everything. Check and balances and the American way.

Good luck, Obama!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I think we, as the American people, often put too much on our Presidents to "fix" things - or blame them when things go bad - when many of our problems come from our own choices as a nation.
    I truly believe this, even though it's hard for a lot of people to admit.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Maybe I didn't word that so well or the way I really meant it. It's not that I'm scared so much as I am worried about where this nation is headed and what the future holds for so many. I worry about my teenage children who will be heading out into this world before long and not much on the horizon for them as far as jobs go right now. I worry about friends that have lost their jobs and can't find new ones because there just aren't any. Especially around here, when so many have worked for so long for RV factories and those are being shutdown on a weekly basis. I worry about my friend Jason who will be heading to Afghanistan next month and leaving his wife and 3 kids behind for a whole year and hope he returns safely when the time comes. I worry about my brother in law who is working in Egypt right now on a secured military base and tells us he lays awake at night because he hears the bombs going off in Gaza. And that's just me--I know all of you have your own worries also.

I wish Mr Obama nothing but the best of luck (he has a very tough job ahead of him) and I have put a lot of faith into him. I pulled that lever for him myself and would not have if I didn't think he might be just what we need. I really do hope he is successful and can help get this nation back on track. Time will tell but I believe also that it is gonna take ALOT of time and I hope we can all hang in there that long!

I hear you now,Willie. I think we all do have to work together to pull this country back together; and I do think that we have the best of the best in the Presidency now to guide us along.

And after spending last night and today trying to figure this trip out...
    I am going to the Inauguration!!!!

I craigslisted, and found a luxury charter bus that still had a few seats left for $60 each. My friend and I are definites, and possibly my nephew and his girlfriend. We leave at 3:30 am , watch movies (or sleep), eat breakfast, get there by 8:30 am. They drop us off 5 BLOCKS FROM THE CAPITOL!!!! We see the festivities from 9 am till 2:30 pm, then get on the bus for lunch, and drive home by 9 pm, exhausted but having witnessed a piece of history I will never forget! I'll post pictures!

Wow--good for you EV!! What a chance of a lifetime!! I'm really happy for you and can't wait to hear all about it! Enjoy it!

EV, I am SO happy for you! I know how much it meant to you to attend this historic event, and I'm so glad that it is coming to fruition!
    Have a ball there, and be sure to take lots and lots of pictures! We'll all be there with you in spirit!