Page 113 of 200 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1993

Thread: Henley Heaven (2009- June 2010)

Default Re: Henley Heaven: The Don Henley Photo Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Can I just say WOW!

You can say that and MORE!

Look at this smile...

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Very nice selection, troub!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wonderful choices, Troub. I especially like that last one - I always thought Ms. Morrisette looks a bit mesmerized with Mr. Henley there.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

And who could blame her!

Out on the Border

Don Henley has been one of the most recognizable voices in the world of music for over 30 years, both as a member of the Eagles and as a solo artist. J. D. Souther may have said it best: “Don Henley could sing anything he wrapped his voice around. That insanely beautiful voice, like 400-grain sandpaper, rough but fine, is incredible to hear.” However, it is not only the sound of the voice, but the words that he has written and sung over the years, that remain with listeners long after each song is over.

That famous voice was nurtured by listening to AM radio over long restless nights in Linden, a small East Texas town almost to the Louisiana border. Donald Hugh Henley, the only child of a NAPA auto parts dealer Con Junell (C. J.) Henley and his schoolteacher wife, Hughlene, was born July 22, 1947 in Gilmer, Texas, and raised in nearby Linden. As a hometown, Linden boasts a rich musical history--blues guitar great T-Bone Walker and ragtime composer Scott Joplin were also born there---so it has contributed greatly to what fellow Eagle founder Glenn Frey calls “the fertilizer of his genius.”

“Music changed my life,” Don wrote in his introduction to Jim Ladd’s book, Radio Waves. ”Radio, the vehicle for that music, was my connection to the world that lay outside my small hometown. During those difficult, adolescent years, it was a friend in the dark; a messenger to a lover; a magic carpet; a ticket out.”

He owes a measure of his success to a quirk of fate: after watching Don struggling to play football at Linden-Kildare High School—a difficult task due to his relatively small build, in comparison to the other football players--his football coach tactfully suggested that he quit the team. He decided to join the high school band instead. He began as a trombone player, but since he was always drumming on his textbooks, his band teacher moved him into the drum section, and the rest, as they say, is history. Within a short time, Don and childhood buddies Richard Bowden and Jerry Surratt formed a garage band called The Four Speeds. “No one really wanted to sing, so we drew names and I ended up being the reluctant vocalist,” Don recalled. Reluctant, indeed.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by bookmarkmaster View Post
    Don Henley has been one of the most recognizable voices in the world of music for over 30 years, both as a member of the Eagles and as a solo artist. J. D. Souther may have said it best: “Don Henley could sing anything he wrapped his voice around. That insanely beautiful voice, like 400-grain sandpaper, rough but fine, is incredible to hear.” However, it is not only the sound of the voice, but the words that he has written and sung over the years, that remain with listeners long after each song is over.
    I don't know who wrote that but what a beautiful description of Don's voice! And it's true!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

JD Souther said it, Brooke. Which makes it even better, for me! You're absolutely right. It is a perfect description of Don's gorgeous voice.

He's quoting DonFan's wonderfully written biography. Find the whole thing here:

http://www.donhenleyonline.com/biography.htm

And she was quoting JD Souther with the "sandpaper" description. It really is a wonderful way to describe that unique aspect of Don's voice which just draws you to it. His music is wonderful, but it's his voice that puts it over the top.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten