Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hampton, VA 1-12-09

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: Hampton, VA Concert 1-12-09

Sounds like you had a great night Dreamer. That was great that you got some 'Glenntact', though pity about Eaglettes roses. Myself and Timtot will have to work out our 'Belfast Strategy'
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Great review Dreamer. Good eye spotting Joe's wedding band - I wouldn't have thought to look for it!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Kay, sounds like you guys had a great time as always! Great review!

It really is too bad that all these venues are being so strict about the roses. In Memphis, the guard in front of the stage told Lynda & me that same thing, that they weren't allowed to put anything on stage, & he made no mention of taking them to the "production office." It is so funny that they refuse to cooperate because when we DID manage to get the roses onstage, the guys were clearly thrilled with them and waved them at the crowd several times.
    I just can't figure it out.

Dreamer, it sounds like it was another amazing concert. Shame about the roses though. I've done the roses thing before and it always adds more excitement to the night knowing that they got the roses. It always surprises me about how excited I get when reading new reviews from a fellow Borderer. We should be the ones to write for the papers instead of someone who doesn't even know the actual names of the songs.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peekaboo View Post
    We should be the ones to write for the papers instead of someone who doesn't even know the actual names of the songs.
    Here!!!! Here!!!!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Here is another review from my hometown paper for the Hampton show.

http://www.mytimesdispatch.com/index.php/popculture

Eagles and Deadhead stickers on Cadillacs: It’s OK to look back
    Melissa Ruggieri
    January 13, 2009 3:28 PM
    By Bill Lohmann
    Staff Writer

Eagles at Hampton Coliseum on Monday

HAMPTON—Don Henley’s words carried more than a hint of truth as he sang his brilliant “Boys of Summer” at Monday night’s Eagles show in Hampton.
    “Those days are gone forever,“ he sang. “I should just let’ em go.“
    But.
    He’s not ready to do that just yet, and neither are we.
    A crowd largely north of 40 happily retreated for a few hours to their youth as the Eagles took them on a whirlwind musical excursion. The evening covered a lot of ground and left a few fans breathless—but only because they had to hike to the high seats in the neighborhood where I was sitting in the nearly sold out Hampton Coliseum.
    Co-founder Glenn Frey has taken to calling the Eagles “the band that would not die.“
    He’s right about that. They’ve endured a lot of self-inflicted wounds over the years through hard living and internal squabbling, but the four remaining official Eagles—Henley, Frey, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit—seem in remarkably good shape for guys who’ve passed 60.
    The Eagles spent much of last year on the road, touring after releasing their first studio album in 30 years, “Long Road Out of Eden.“ Hampton was their first night back after more than a month off for the holidays. They will tour in the coming months across the United States and Canada, and will head to Europe in the summer.
    “Long Road Out of Eden” was rated the No. 1 country album—if you can believe that—on Billboard magazine’s charts for 2008 and the No. 2 rock album. They’ve still got it.
    I’ve been an Eagles fan since the early ‘70s when I was in high school and they were turning out “Take It Easy,“ “Already Gone” and any number of other hits. “Hotel California” is still the best album I own. On top of all that, I’ve stood on a corner in Winslow, Arizona, and I have the picture to prove it.
    Despite that, I’d only seen them twice in concert, both since they reunited in the ‘90s. I missed them entirely in the ‘70s, concerts just not being something I did back then. I didn’t expect to see them in Hampton, but my wife and children gave me a ticket for Christmas. With the cheapest tickets at $75 a pop, it was a generous gift.
    I was glad to be in Hampton, figuring this could very well be my last chance to see them in person. You have to wonder how much longer they’re willing to stick together and stay on the road. Big money or not, at some point they’ve got to grow weary of it. I mean, I was tired this morning and all I did was sit there and listen.
    They played for almost three hours Monday night, rolling through 28 songs—including nine from the new album. The best of the new ones? I’m biased toward “Waiting in the Weeds,“ a hauntingly beautiful Henley song about love lost. But “How Long,“ a remake of a J.D. Souther song, harkens back to the old days, and “Busy Being Fabulous” is top-shelf, too. Henley’s voice makes it so.
    I’m also a fan of the title track, Henley’s long (10 minutes), biting, politically inspired number, though it’s not everybody’s cup of chamomile.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Good review!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    By Bill Lohmann
    Staff Writer
    Eagles at Hampton Coliseum on Monday
    HAMPTON
    I’ve been an Eagles fan since the early ‘70s when I was in high school and they were turning out “Take It Easy,“ “Already Gone” and any number of other hits. “Hotel California” is still the best album I own. On top of all that, I’ve stood on a corner in Winslow, Arizona, and I have the picture to prove it.
    Wow, this guy is a true fan and should be a 'Borderer'! He understands!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Don Henley’s words carried more than a hint of truth as he sang his brilliant “Boys of Summer” at Monday night’s Eagles show in Hampton.
    “Those days are gone forever,“ he sang. “I should just let’ em go.“
    But.
    He’s not ready to do that just yet, and neither are we.

I'm sure as heck not ready for him to let it go. The same goes for the rest of the guys.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

Quote Originally Posted by Peekaboo View Post
    Dreamer, it sounds like it was another amazing concert. Shame about the roses though. I've done the roses thing before and it always adds more excitement to the night knowing that they got the roses. It always surprises me about how excited I get when reading new reviews from a fellow Borderer. We should be the ones to write for the papers instead of someone who doesn't even know the actual names of the songs.
    He was just Too Busy Being Inaccurate... Hey, at least he gets some brownie points for writing a positive review, for the most part!