Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Elvis Presley

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Elvis Presley

Wow, the eyelashes in the first shot remind me of someone....

I am not really a huge Elvis fan because I honestly believe he wasted his talent when he made all those movies and veered off into easy listening ballads. What a shame the revival at the end of his life was so brief.

My top 10 is as follows (any excuse):

1. Suspicious Minds
    2. In The Ghetto
    3. Heartbreak Hotel
    4. Burning Love
    5. An American Trilogy
    6. Return To Sender
    7. Can't Help Falling In Love
    8. Jailhouse Rock
    9. Guitar Man
    10.Such A Night

Wow, girls, thanks so much for your wonderful responses!

DF, I'm glad you felt my tribute was great. Oh boy, that is just the tip of the iceberg... When I have the time, I plan to share many more of my screen caps!

Brooke, I'm glad you like the caps. I'm so jealous that you've been to Graceland! One of my lifelong ambitions that have yet to be fulfilled. One day...

GA, thanks for your good wishes - I did indeed have a fantastic time at the tribute last night! The tribute artist was really brilliant, and I'm usually very critical of Elvis tribute artists. He turned me to jelly, as he came to me three times during the course of the evening, first singing to me as he held my hand, then looking me directly in the eyes as he sang to me, then kissing my cheek (and I kissed him back! ) and placing his hand on my waist, and then last but not least, giving me one of his scarves. Sigh... Elvis would have been proud! He has a lovely voice, got all the costumes right (and he looks good in them too - he has quite a body on him) and he's very attractive. He even let me sing the last line of one of the songs, "Let Yourself Go", on his microphone, which caused a cheer in the restaurant from the patrons! Woo hoo hoo!

And GA, I will yet convert you! I've managed to make room for both Elvis and Glenn !

FP, I reckoned those eyelashes would strike a chord with you... Thanks for your top 10 Elvis tunes. I don't think I'll ever attempt one of my own, as it's just too difficult. Too many of his songs do so much for me - it's just impossible.

FP, I hear you about the waste of Elvis' talent in the films he made in the '60s, but in his defence, he hated those films, but was contractually obligated to make films for 7 years, and therefore also not make live appearances. As he didn't perform professionally outside of the USA, it was the only way his fans abroad could see him. All of this career mismanagement can be attributed to his manager, "Col." Tom Parker. I don't have time to go into detail now, but he is a subject I'd like to discuss in more detail in this thread in the future. As far as I'm concerned, Elvis having signed with him as his manager was the biggest mistake of his life.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Well it sounds like you had a brilliant time MF! And well done on the singing!

I suppose you can keep on the conversion trail.....but.....well, you know I'm a one-man-woman!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I was thinking of you MF on Elvis' birthday.
    I love Elvis and have been a fan of his since I was 8.
    How can love survive in such a graceless age?

Love Him Rest In Peace Elvis

auntmeda:}

Wow, it's been a while since this thread has been active!

While I was in downtown Memphis the other day, I went to a used record store. They had an entire section of the store dedicated solely to Elvis. I realized that if I lived in Memphis, I needed to own at least one Elvis album.

I picked out a collection called The Essential Elvis Presley. It's a 3-CD set so it's got a lot of good stuff on it. I was only familiar with his biggest hits, so there were several songs on there I hadn't heard before.

I think, as time passes, the level of appreciation for Elvis may diminish as he becomes further and further removed from what people's expectations are of popular music. Nothing will take away how ground-breaking he was, though, and both times I've been to Graceland it's been packed to the rafters with people from all over the world.

Here's to Elvis Presley!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

I don't know if it's the same one I have (3cd package) mine was a gift....but it is very good, i'll have to dig it out, haven't listened to it in ages!
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

Stuck on the Border

You will have to tell us what your favourite songs are, Soda.

Re-reading this thread I wrote some passionate stuff. It surprises me.

I should not do this but I got a huge surprise on YouTube the other day to find that Mark Knopfler (yes, YAWN) played with Scotty Moore:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMxHxuiTAGA&feature=feedlik[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgEWp7xyOoQ[/ame]

I will be interested to hear Mrs Frey's reactions to these. I of course was blown away.

My favorites are pretty predictable, I guess, with the exception of Kentucky Rain. I had never heard that song before, but it's terrific!

These made the iPod:

Can't Help Falling in Love with You (by far my favorite)
    Suspicious Minds
    Kentucky Rain
    Heartbreak Hotel
    Blue Suede Shoes
    Hound Dog
    Don't Be Cruel
    Love Me Tender
    All Shook Up
    Jailhouse Rock
    It's Now or Never
    Return to Sender
    Devil in Disguise
    If I Can Dream
    I Just Can't Help Believin'
    Burning Love
    Always on My Mind
    Only the Strong Survive
    Guitar Man

Just realized that yesterday was the 34th Anniversary of Elvis' death. Living in Memphis has given me a whole new appreciation for him and his music. RIP to the King.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmakK7BSRnE[/ame]