Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Elvis Presley

Quote Originally Posted by EasyFeeling
    Quote Originally Posted by Maleah
    The '68 comeback special is......well........it's hot A MUST have, if you will
    Today I saw the DVD in the store, it costs 20 Euros. No, I have to go to ebay if I can get it for a lower price.
    well all I can say about it is....................leather

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Uuuuuuuuuuuh

Quote Originally Posted by EasyFeeling
    Uuuuuuuuuuuh
    Well....................I said that's all I would say so I won't say anything else but..............

ok done

........WOW.......

Now THAT'S gorgeous.

Isn't it though?

One word... sexy!
    I WANT to get the comeback DVD. I looked up on ebay but found only a VHS. I'll keep trying!

Just won a music DVD from Take That, yay!

Maleah, Maleah, Maleah... my GIRL!!! (Now if you watch the '68 Comeback closely, and take note of how Elvis speaks to those ladies at the "brothel", you'll know where I get that last expression from... ) You pretty much made my day, having posted those photos. OH, what sexiness, what beauty, what perfection, what absolute dreamy gorgeousness... And that's just how he looked... "Don't Be Cruel" is a great song, isn't it? And it's your mom's favourite, too! Yes, this DVD is a must have indeed. And he sings "Don't Be Cruel" in it, too! Then's there's the "Deluxe" 4-DVD edition. A bit too expensive for me at the moment, but I plan to get my hands on it at some point! "Trying To Get To You" is one of his 1955 Sun recordings. He was still only 20 years old when he recorded that! His vocals are just unbelievable. Another one that he does so powerfully in the '68 Special. His intensity moves me so much...

EF, I'm so glad you enjoyed my previous posts. The last 22 years have certainly been a thrill having Elvis as my great hero (oops, I'm making Glenn jealous here... sorry, Sugar ). You won't regret getting your hands on that DVD, my girl. Get "Aloha From Hawaii" too, while you're at it. It's magnificent (there's a "Deluxe" edition of that, too!). Congrats on winning the Take That DVD!

FP, I really enjoyed reading your assessment of your Top 10 Elvis songs. Some of your observations are very interesting, in that I'd never thought of the songs in that way. Of course, after having thought about it, I agree with most of what you say! I also enjoyed reading the Mark Knopfler and Neil Young song verses about Elvis . It's always touching to me when a singer or songwriter pays tribute to Elvis in that way. The songs "Black Velvet", sung by Allanah Myles, and "Advertising Space" by Robbie Williams are also about the great man.

SH, I was also 8 years old when I first got interested in Elvis ! I only got my first tape for my 11th birthday, and that pretty much started my Elvis mania. The album was "His Hand In Mine", his first (and best, IMHO) gospel album. I've got the CD version now, which includes a couple of bonus tracks. Isn't it amazing that the only Grammy awards Elvis ever received were for gospel performances? And only three, to boot. No wonder the Eagles were less than enamoured by the Grammy's.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    MF, regarding Guitar Man, I knew of the song but only heard it recently when I bought it on iTunes. I fell in love with it instantly because it is an Elvis 'attitude' song. He walks into this bar in Mobile and takes over this band.. (Does that sound like anyone else we might know)?

As for American Trilogy.... perhaps it is contrived, but the way it pulls together the Northern, Southern and African American view of the Civil War is heartrending. And Elvis means every single word. The climax is astonishing.
    Ah, FP, you're beginning to see things from my perspective now... Elvis and Glenn... Glenn and Elvis... Elvis and Glenn...

"American Trilogy" is, in my opinion, one of Elvis' greatest vocal performances. It's just magnificent. When he sings:

Now hush little baby, don't you cry
    You know your daddy's bound to die

OH! I have to hold back the tears... I start thinking of Elvis speaking to his daughter, Lisa Marie (it was only 4 years before his death...). I don't know anything about American Civil War history to appreciate the deeper meaning of the song , but thank you for that perspective.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Frey
    EF, I'm so glad you enjoyed my previous posts. The last 22 years have certainly been a thrill having Elvis as my great hero (oops, I'm making Glenn jealous here... sorry, Sugar ). You won't regret getting your hands on that DVD, my girl. Get "Aloha From Hawaii" too, while you're at it. It's magnificent (there's a "Deluxe" edition of that, too!). Congrats on winning the Take That DVD!
    I found the Deluxe edition as well as the comeback special and saw it's in great demand. I guess people are willing to pay a lot of money for that. I will watch it, both offers end on Wednesday.

I've enjoyed reading this thread. I've never really given a lot of thought to Elvis - I was definitely a Beatles fan in the 60s, and didn't get the rock and roll, soul thing, but latterly I've started to enjoy a lot of his music, and can appreciate how very talented he was. Thanks to you all I have learnt a lot. MF and FP, your analyses were fascinating, and Maleah, um, I think I can see your point of view now! I'd always associated him with white rhinestone studded suits, but black leather, hmm.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...