Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm goin' back in time and it's a sweet dream...

Default I'm goin' back in time and it's a sweet dream...

I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed before, so please excuse the repetition if it has, but if you could go back in time and attend any Eagles concert, which one would it be and why?
    I think, if I could go back, I would return to either 1973 or 1974, and attend one of their concerts from that time period. I would pick that time because that is when I was hearing lots of Eagles songs on the radio, and really starting to love their music. Of course, I would also attend so as to see Glenn with his long, flowing locks, and Don with his afro! I also really liked Bernie's banjo playing, and the harmonies and lead voice that Randy added to the band back then. I may even pick California Jam 1974, so I would have the bonus of seeing another of my favorites, Jackson Browne!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: I'm goin' back in time and it's a sweet dream...

Oh my, do I want to answer this?

Aw heck, why not?!

I went to a concert in 76 or 77 and was way up in the rafters. I would love to go back to that concert again and be down front. And maybe, just maybe, I'd nab one of those famous buttons!

And actualy, maybe I could remember more about the whole concert!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Wow, this is a hard question, with many intriguing possibilities!

I'd want to go to that infamous last Long Run concert - the Alan Cranston benefit in July 1980. Not really for the drama, which was largely invisible to the audience anyway, but because they did a lot of special songs for that benefit that they haven't done before or since. Additionally, there are no video bootlegs of Long Run shows that I'm aware of (although they may be out there somewhere, not in fan circulation). I'd love to SEE them doing these songs rather than just hearing them on my audio bootlegs.

And while this is cheating, my runner-ups:

2) The first full Eagles concert in 1972 (although they were probably an opening act, so "full Eagles concert" is loosely defined). New and fresh and probably a little scared, but hungry for a name and passionately working to get it.

3) An early Hell Freezes Over show, when they were still doing all the new songs. I missed out on that tour and from bootlegs like Buffalo 1994, I can see it was ten times as awesome as the DVD.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

This one was easy for me... HFO.. I would have loved to have seen that one. And then maybe HC *G* but Im sure most of you could have guessed these answers from me *G*

Stuck on the Border

Which songs at the Cranston show had not been done before or since? There were tracks from The Long Run which I assumed had been played on the tour for that album. It's true that they have not been played since (King Of Hollywood, The Sad Cafe). They did Keep On Tryin' which I also thought they had been playing previously. I thought Sea Cruise was regularly played (along with Carol, which apparently didn't feature at Long Beach) because I've seen photos of it being performed where Glenn has a sax around his neck. The only song from that setlist I don't know about is After The Thrill Is Gone. Surely that was performed during the One Of These Nights tour. No, it has not been played since. Saturday Night has not been played since. I cannot see anything there which I could say for certain had never been played before.

I saw the HFO tour in Sydney, which I remain grateful for. I don't feel any need to go back to a previous lineup. All I would like is for Don to play drums on new songs and for a couple of Glenn's songs to be reinstated.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I'd love most to have attended one of the HFO reunion concerts, perhaps the one in Christchurch, had it not rained so badly! I'd also love to have been at Glenn 's solo gig in Dublin.

Hell I'd love to have gone to all their gigs!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

I thought it went without saying that I wish I had seen Glenn solo, so I didn't.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Oh I guess it does go without saying FP!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Which songs at the Cranston show had not been done before or since? There were tracks from The Long Run which I assumed had been played on the tour for that album. It's true that they have not been played since (King Of Hollywood, The Sad Cafe).
    That assumption is incorrect. Other than a few shows leading up to the Cranston benefit, those two songs have never been a part of a regular Eagles touring setlist.

The only song from that setlist I don't know about is After The Thrill Is Gone. Surely that was performed during the One Of These Nights tour.
    No, it was not.

I don't feel any need to go back to a previous lineup. All I would like is for Don to play drums on new songs and for a couple of Glenn's songs to be reinstated.
    So you wouldn't like to see ANY other shows in addition to recent ones? Seriously? It's not about "going back to a previous lineup" it's about experiencing something special and different. C'mon, use a little imagination.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Fair enough, Soda, I assume that what you say is correct. Apologies. I admit to surprise that they had not played those songs. I take it that you have seen setlists for the entire Long Run tour and those songs were never played?

Regarding 'using my imagination', I do nothing else, but it tends not to be about past Eagles tours. If I say that I would like to see the LROOE tour, I am stating the truth. I am one of the few people on this board who has not seen it. Going back to the 70s and trying to imagine seeing a show from that era is not something that I really think about. I guess if I really had to come up with something I would have liked to have seen a show from the HC or LR tours.
    Last edited by Freypower; 01-07-2009 at 07:49 PM.