Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If you could ask Don to sing any non-Eagles song in a solo show, what would it be?

Default Re: If you could ask Don to sing any non-Eagles song in a solo show, what would it be

That would be quite fitting Dreamer. I heard Don say in an interview once that Lennon was an inspiration to him.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: If you could ask Don to sing any non-Eagles song in a solo show, what would it be

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Dreamer, that's another good list, but why Them & Us? Is it a favourite of yours?
    I just realized I forgot to answer FP's question about Them and Us. Yeah, FP, it's just one I like alot. Great lyrics and music. I particularly love the chorus, but the very best part of the song, IMHO, is the last line ...

"What was the question, anyway?"

I'm sure I'm in a minority here about how much I like this song, just like I'm probably in a minority because I'm not that fond of For My Wedding.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Dreamer, you're not alone regarding For My Wedding. Along with Taking You Home (which I know you love) and Annabel, those three intensely 'personal' sounding song are my least favourite tracks on the album.

Now regarding Beatles songs it's interesting you go for the Don-John and Glenn-Paul thing. You said Glenn would do a good job on The Long & Winding Road. That is a song which to me has 'Don' written all over it, particularly the 'many times I've been alone' part. Regarding Come Together, one of my absolute, total favourites by anybody, I think they could both do that.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    You said Glenn would do a good job on The Long & Winding Road. That is a song which to me has 'Don' written all over it, particularly the 'many times I've been alone' part.
    Well, this is obviously all subjective, but to my ears, that song is much more suited for Glenn's voice. Funny how differently we can all hear things.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I can't believe I haven't responded to this yet. I am SO behind here due to traveling over the holidays!

I Will Not Go Quietly was my number one request until I saw Don perform it live last summer. It was fantastic.
    Leather and Lace was my no. 2 request until I saw Don & Stevie perform it on their Two Voices tour. Again, fantastic--their chemistry remains as vital as ever. He also sang The Genie on that tour and I Put A Spell on You--(Boy, did he!!!) and I loved them, too.

SO, my wish list now includes:

Talking to the Moon
    Lilah
    My Thanksgiving
    Come Rain and Come Shine
    Yes It Is
    You Don't Miss Your Water (Until the Well Runs Dry)
    You Don't Know Me At All
    I Forget You Every Day
    Miss Ghost
    It's So Easy (Sheryl Crow would have to sing that with him)

I also think he would do a great cover of Bryan Adam's Run To You.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan View Post

I Will Not Go Quietly was my number one request until I saw Don perform it live last summer. It was fantastic.
    Leather and Lace was my no. 2 request until I saw Don & Stevie perform it on their Two Voices tour. Again, fantastic-
    Oh right already--quit rubbing it in!

I Will Not Go Quietly was on my list here also. I was wondering- how did they do the part that Axl Rose sings in the background on the album? Did they skip it or did he have a backup singer doing it? Axl just has such a unique voice, I would think it would be hard to find a voice similar. Just curious!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Willie, they had another backup singer to sing Axl's part. And actually, that song is such a rocker and there was so much screaming & clapping going on during it that it really didn't matter--it sounded great!

I agree DF, hearing I Will Not Go Quietly at that concert last summer was definitely a rocker and it was the closing song of the night which i thought worked out well. As far as my list, i've gotten to hear most of my favorites at Don's solo concert in Oklahoma City in Aug. 2007 but I would love to hear him do that version of End of the Innocense again. It was so incredibly beautiful. Heart of the Matter has always been my favorite of his solo songs and i did get to hear it in OKC but i would love to hear it done like the Eagles did it on HFO. That's my favorite version of that song. I would also love to hear Don sing Come Rain Or Come Shine. I melt everytime i hear him sing that song.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

The song that would mean the most to me to hear live is "Heart of the Matter." I wrote a letter to Don last year just because I wanted him to know how much his music and this song in particular. I would absolutely bawl like a baby without a doubt. Maybe I can hold out the hope that he'll read my letter before the Fargo show and sing it for me. Yeah.....I didn't think so either. lol Anyway, it's a very special song to me.

Other than that, I would like to hear Don do the following:

Last Worthless Evening
    Taking You Home
    New York Minute
    I Will Not Go Quietly
    Miss Ghost

It was a dream come true to hear "Dirty Laundry" and "Boys of Summer." I had goosebumps! I always said that I hoped that they would keep playing those until I got to see them. I will never forget it!

All She Wants To Do Is Dance or Last Worthless Evening