Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charitable Christmas Giving

Default Re: Charitable Christmas Giving

Just to revive a thread from last Christmas...and remind you all about www.worldvisiongifts.org. We can all make the world a better place, especially at this time of year, and especially when we're having trouble buying gifts for those people on our lists who "have everything." Let's think of those in the world who have nothing. Thanks!
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Stuck on the Border

Nice thread, ev.

We've been donating in my MIL's (another person who doesn't need any more "stuff") to the Heifer Foundation for years now. There are some amazing programs out there.

I got tired of reading about my office's plans for Christmas this year, (sign up sheet for snacks, cookies, more snacks) and I suggested it might be a nice team building idea to do something for others instead of ourselves. I had suggested printing off the local Humane Society's "wish list" and filling up some baskets.

Or possibly going thru our local food pantry's "wish list" and getting together someof the things people don't usually donate (as opposed to the typical can of corn).

I was pleased that the group totally embraced the idea, and we have 2 large bins being filled up -one for the shelter animals and one for the food pantry being filled up with baby items like diapers and forumula which are greatly needed.

That sounds great, Molly!

Another organization that a friend informed me of is Women for Women International, a non-profit org that helps women from war-torn countries around the globe rebuild their lives. Their website is www.womenforwomen.org; in the UK it's www.womenforwomen.org.uk. From Dec. 7-11 in the UK, they are sponsoring a "Big Give," where all donations will be doubled--a great way for those across the pond to make their dollars (err... pounds) stretch further!
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

How terrific that you were able to organize a drive, Molly. That's what Christmas is all about.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

We donated money and Christmas stockings to our local Fire Department. Our town is so small that every year the Fire Department loads one of the fire truck up with Santa and gifts, They make sure they have enough gifts for every young kid in town. I don't know how they figure the number of gifts they are going to need but they have always come through with a gift for every kid so far.

One of our local TV stations here in Albuquerque, KOAT, runs a program every year called "KOAT'S FOR KIDS". People donate coats (new and used) for distribution all over New Mexico to needy children. One of the local dry cleaners provides free cleaning for any used coats. The response is always amazing!! I always go thru my closets to see what I've got that I'm not wearing and often check with a few of my neighbors in an effort to collect as much as I can. And our local balloonists dedicate their December flying event to the collection of coats for the cause. I'm always so touched by the number of pilots (and their families and crew members) who donate their jackets from Balloon Fiesta and I have no doubt when some kid receives a Fiesta jacket it's a particularly special gift. (KOAT also runs a School Supplies collection for distribution in September...I love going shopping for crayons, pencils, notebooks and bookbags to put into the donation boxes)
    I just need a little downtime.........

Quote Originally Posted by AzEaglesFan View Post
    We donated money and Christmas stockings to our local Fire Department. Our town is so small that every year the Fire Department loads one of the fire truck up with Santa and gifts, They make sure they have enough gifts for every young kid in town. I don't know how they figure the number of gifts they are going to need but they have always come through with a gift for every kid so far.
    I saw that Old Navy was selling large Xmas stockings for $1 if you needed additional ones. That is so cool that your fire company and towns people can do that...I'm sure that your children will remember that when they are parents.
    ~Eva~

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Gotta say--You guys are the greatest!!! Those are wonderful things that are being done. Love the whole fire dept thing! How cool is that!?! And Kudos to you Molly and your fellow coworkers! The true meaning of Christmas at it's finest. I just wish everyone was so giving and focused on what Christmas is all about and not just give me, give me, give me all the time. I work with kids and can say it's pretty discouraging when all they talk about is " I want that!".

I wrote this last year "My children for several years now have put only one thing on their Christmas list for the gift exchange we have with my husband's family and that is a donation in their name for either The Save Darfur Fund or The Heifer Foundation where the charity uses money donated to help buy livestock, seeds, grains etc. and to help educate families in 3rd world nations raise crops and livestock and therefore helping them become self sufficient. I was very proud of them years ago when they started doing that on their own at the ages of 11 & 13." Same this year again.

And it's also always been a tradition with us that we buy a girls toy and a boys toy every year for Toys For Tots and to this day, my 19 & 17 year olds still donate them and feel such pride in doing so. We also donate to one pet refuge or another. Gotta remember the animals also.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I donate to our local animal shelter food, not just at Christmas, in addition, we always do a donation for our Fire Department
    and we do pack most still packages for children from families those it not so well goes, these are then always just before Christmas, distributed at a small Christmas party.
    Last edited by Koala; 12-08-2009 at 03:26 AM.
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

We also pick a charity every year and give charitable gifts from their catalogue around our families. This year I'm giving gifts from 'sightsavers' which provides eyecare to children in the very poor countries. In addition we have sent a 'shoebox' each to the Salvation Army's 'Operation Christmas child' You fill a shoe box with things from a list for a child. They are sent to areas where children would not otherwise get a present. Of course there are lots of big charity drives on at this time of the year as well.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP