Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Guns N'Roses

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Guns N'Roses

If there's no Izzy, there's no G'n'R reunion for me!

Never though this would happen... wonder how long the "truce" will last?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

While I like Izzy, I like Slash more. Same for Brad Whitford. I like him but I like Joe Perry more. I'm more into the loose unschooled blues based way. I'm not much for theory. All of my faves were more self taught and blues based and even sloppy at times.

I definitely consider Slash, Duff, and Axl the core of the band that was always there.

I'll be there for the reunion.

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

Yeah, not much of a reunion without Izzy or Steven Adler. 3/5 does not make a whole. I'll pass.

Stuck on the Border

Well, there's nothing "schooled" about Izzy Stradlin. Brad Whitford, yes, but not Izzy Stradlin. And when I think of the words "music theory" Izzy Stradlin isn't the first name that comes to mind! Me? Personally I'm neutral about music theory. You can do equally great things whether you know that stuff or not. Although it will probably take about 200 years more to write and orchestrate an opera if you don't know anything about anything.

I've always loved Izzy's more loose (and groovy perhaps) rhythm playing. Slash's rhythm parts are more distorted and "heavier". Paradise City is one example. Izzy's rhythm playing is very economical and so cool in the verses. During the Illusions era Izzy had also became a crucial writer in the band. I think before that Patience and Mr. Brownstone were the only "true classics" he was heavily involved with. Well, he did come up with the D, C, G chord progression in Sweet Child O'Mine, but that's not "writing".

Personally, I think it'd be great if Izzy and Steven or Matt could be there, but I'm sure it wasn't for a lack of trying. It's not like Axl, Slash, or Duff would have said not to include them. I mean Matt was in VR for christ sakes. And Izzy can still play in addition to Matt. IMO though I don't know if Steven could have handled a tour, he's been in a rough patch for awhile.

So if it's a case of they didn't want to do it, I'm going. If it was a case of them not being asked to join, then I'd have a problem with it.

But in the case of those guys, Steve Perry, or Dennis DeYoung not wanting to do it, the show must go on and those guys need to realize that. It's not like you weren't invited. You put the woes to it and wanted to stop, and that's your choice but don't be surprised if that wagon rolls right over you to the next city. And I'm perfectly fine with that.

I definitely prefer more heavy and distorted guitar stuff (hence why I only like the Felder/Walsh era of the Eagles).

I still say though that Izzy had more of a tight guitar thing going on compared to Slash. To me Slash was a Joe Perry/Jimmy Page type. Sloppy, loose, and very bluesy. Izzy to me had more of a precise technique. Obviously we won't agree on that as we have two entirely different descriptions of the man.

I'm more into the Joe Perrys of the world than the Brad Whitfords of the world. And don't get me started on guys like Satriani or Vai or the other virtuosos. Yuck.

For me on theory, I've always been a rebel. I hated school, hated authority, and I wasn't about to take guitar lessons or have someone tell me how to do something. I don't handle any type of criticism or direction well lol. I had just finished school and had went to homeschool because I couldn't take that stuff in high school. And to me looking at tabs or sheet music is incredibly frustrating and dumb to me. It's like math, I don't get it. I'm more of a words guy than a numbers guy. I couldn't do simple math questions if I tried. Just not me.

I'd much rather pave my own way and do things my way on my terms and to me all of my favorites played like that and did the same, so if it worked for them it works for me. That rock n' roll rebellion appealed to me. Hence why I wasn't into other more lighter forms of music. The whole throw the rules out and do it your way was appealing to me.

I basically align myself with the song "James Dean".

Stuck on the Border

It's very interesting how differently we see Izzy Stradlin as a guitarist!

I'll have to agree with you in that it's ok if they asked Izzy and he refused. That's different. A very good point. When the rumors started, almost the first thing I saw was the name of some guitarist I didn't recognize. So I just assumed that Izzy wasn't even asked.

Ah, theory. I like to think I've seen both sides since I taught myself to play guitar (which is my main instrument). I took keyboard lessons when I was very young, and that probably helped me in teaching myself. Later on (a lot later) I did study music (because I didn't know what to do with my life), but before that I had found out an awful lot of stuff myself. And when I make music today, I still do it like I always did. Trying s*** out and falling in love with "wrong" notes. So it doesn't affect my playing or music making in any way whatsoever that I know that parallel 5ths are not allowed in some circles.

LOL!

I am surprised Matt won't be on drums. He's good buds with both Slash and Duff. Maybe he couldn't put Axl back in a good light and wouldn't do it.

I think Izzy is just wanting to be done. TTBOMK he isn't doing anything actively in music right now.

Steven, again not surprised but I think he does still play quite a bit with his own band.

Izzy and Steven weren't a surprise to me - the lack of Matt Sorum on drums is because Slash, Duff, and Matt are so close.

I have a feeling they'll keep Richard Fortus on rhythm guitar. He's the only one that didn't leave. He's a good one too. He played for Thin Lizzy and is a fabulous rhythm guitarist. He is all about old rock n' roll, where as IMO Bumblefoot and DJ were more into newer stuff.

I think if Richard is in the new lineup, it's a good thing, he's a better match for the old stuff than the other two guys were (DJ/Bumble). He's all about old Marshalls and plays old hollowbodies just like Izzy.

I have no idea who they'd have on drums.

It's confirmed!

Looks like Axl, Slash, and Duff. Richard Fortus and Frank Ferrer will remain for rhythm guitar and drums. Matt Sorum hasn't posted anything but Axl, Slash, and Duff have as of tonight.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I'm not too excited about the reunion. I do consider myself a GnR fan, but to be honest, I think that Axl's voice is beyond shot. I heard him live on a youtube video a while back, and I could barely listen to him. I do think that it's cool that the beef between Axl and Slash has been resolved for the time being, though. Also, I would prefer it to be the original 5 who made the Appetite for Destruction album.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time