Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Long Road Out of Eden Receives Four Grammy Nominations

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Long Road Out of Eden Receives Four Grammy Nominations

Just received this google alert...

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/...03939791.story

Last edited by TimothyBFan; 07-08-2010 at 09:19 AM.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Oh come on! Dang--it Ticky! I tried my best to stir something else up here. It ain't fittin' that you take away the noose and stool from the hangin' tree after IABAD took all the time to string it up!
    Yeah ticky - Mike might actually be right about this. Maybe we oughta leave that rope dangling. You know, the thing is that there are some that would hang themselves if left to their own devices. But, I don't think Mike is that easy. He's much too shrewd to walk into that trap.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Mike's pretty easy *G*

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    Mike's pretty easy *G*
    What is this, "Kiss and tell?"

But I do regret equating "simplicity" with being a criteria for deservedness of an award. There are "riffs" that are just a couple of notes...like Clapton's iconic riff in "Crossroads" (5 notes) or the recurring riff in "Layla" (4 notes). Or Walsh's signature Funk 49 intro (less than 10 notes) or "Fast Lane" (also under 10 notes). Yes, each of those mentioned are more "complex" in the actual playing of them, but in reality are fairly simple licks.

I think that rationalization for the award has to consider not just the stand alone value of the piece, but also how it integrates into the entire presentation of the work in which it is contained. From that standpoint, maybe it deserves more credence than I am giving it.

But even stand alone, it is "pretty".

Does anyone know which Pop Instrumentals "War" was up against? I may have to go to the Grammy program and see what was contending with it for the award.
    Last edited by MikeA; 02-09-2009 at 04:26 PM.

MikeA

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Pucker up baby! I got a book to write!!

Stuck on the Border

I am very happy that IDTWNW won its category even if it apparently was a relatively simple category for it to win. The other nominations were as follows:

Steve Cropper & Felix Cavaliere - "Love Appetite"
    Fourplay - "Fortune Teller"
    Stanley Jordan - "Steppin' Out"
    Marcus Miller - "Blast!"

The only thing that makes me slightly uneasy is that it is more a personal triumph for Glenn. The rest of the band barely feature on it.

It continues in the tradition of the Eagles' other Grammy awards. Apart from Record of the Year for Hotel California, they were:

Lyin' Eyes (best pop vocal)
    New Kid In Town (best vocal arrangement, which we all know was by Glenn)
    Heartache Tonight (best rock vocal)
    How Long (best country vocal). Although this is a shared lead with Don Glenn sings the first and third verses.

I am proud of Glenn for these achievements.
    Last edited by Freypower; 02-09-2009 at 08:21 PM.

FP, I was very happy for the Eagles' win last night.
    I must say, I LOVE your avatar. I can't seem to stop staring at it.

FP, I never realized how Glenn-centric the Eagles' Grammys are. He must be very proud of such critical accolades, especially considering how the band - and Glenn especially - so often is overlooked by critics.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I've only just got to see this thread today for the first time (and I haven't been able to read everything yet), and GOSH, am I pleased! I missed the Grammy Awards last night when it was televised locally, but I wondered whether or not the boys had received any nominations.

I'm very happy for IDTWNW. It's a beautiful piece of music.

It is indeed fantastic that the Eagles' versatility is being recognised, what with being nominated in the instrumental, country, pop and rock categories (last year and this year). Versatility is so important, and is part of the secret of the Eagles' longevity, in my opinion.

It certainly seems that Glenn's talent has been noted by the Grammy authorities, but Don's talent has certainly also been recognised, what with nominations for WITW and LROOE, featuring his vocals.

I'd love to know what beat those two nominations to the post.

MikeA, I haven't had the privilege of reading any of your posts since you joined The Border, since I've been away most of the time over the last few months. I must tell you, though, that I found your last post here very impressive. I'm a part-time musician and I've never found myself counting the notes! Overall, your thoughts are interesting, and they certainly have merit.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Frey View Post
    MikeA, I haven't had the privilege of reading any of your posts
    Count yourself fortunate MF When I saw your lead into the paragraph I'm thinking...ugh-oh....I'm in trouble from yet another devotee! Truth is, I'm a sweet lovable guy and everyone here just LOVES TO DEATH and who is a big supporter of the Eagles....but who has a bit of a different "bias" on admiration than the majority of the Fans who post here <LOL>.

Oh, and DON'T read the Felder thread. I would like to retain the privilege of your acquaintance.

I guess most might think "counting notes" is about like "counting heartbeats". (I won't say "counting freckles" cuze I caught myself counting some of those blemishes in a pic in the Walsh thread) They just happen and seldom are worth counting Usually they aren't, but it's something you might think of if you are trying to pick out a riff from a song you like.

And seriously, I too like the tune ("War"). I've almost got it worked out and except for the two "triples" that occur just halfway into the melody. I can hit them, but they are a bit tough to hit "fast". Star Spangled Banner is a lot easier to play because of those two notes.

(Rhonda, don't try it....it can be hazardous to your knuckles!)

I'm working on memorizing the lyrics to "War" but it's complicated and I never had a brain that could retain lyrics.

But if anyone is interested, I can post the "TAB" to it.

MikeA