Page 24 of 148 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast

Thread: Fleetwood Mac

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Fleetwood Mac

I mentioned in another thread about a book I'm reading called Classic Rock Stories by Tim Morse.

On page 41, RE: Black Dog, Jimmy Page says: "I suggested how you get the breaks with the vocals. That's it, I've finally owned up, as no one else will in the band, but that was the idea to give it the vocal thing, then the riffs come in. I guess if you want to say that we leaned on something so far as the structure of it, you remember 'Oh Well' by Fleetwood Mac, where it stops and there's a vocal, so there you are...now they'll sue us!"

Pg 43, Gold Dust Woman, Mick Fleetwood says: "Stevie (Nicks) did her first vocal track of 'Gold Dust Woman' in a fully lit studio. The song needed both a mysterious power and a lot of emotionality. As take followed take, Stevie began to withdraw into herself, reaching inside for the magic. The lights were dimmed, a chair was brought in so she could sit, saving her strength at three in the morning, and she wrapped herself in a big cardigan sweater to ward off the predawn chill. An hour later she was almost invisible in the shadows, elfin under big headphones, hunched over in her chair, alternately choosing from her supply of tissues, a Vick's inhaler, a box of lozenges for her sore throat, and a bottle of mineral water. Gradually she gained total command of her song. On the eighth take, exhausted but exalted, she sang the lyrics straight through to perfection."
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Wow, I love that song. Now whenever I hear it I'll think of that story!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Wow, I love that song. Now whenever I hear it I'll think of that story!
    Same here!

Love that story!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

It's the way he tells it too. Who knew Mick Fleetwood could use words so descriptively!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

So I was posting in PM's new "Happy Breakup Songs" thread and was talking about Fleetwood Mac. I've probably already posted in this thread but I am a big Fleetwood Mac fan. Especially Stevie and Christine.

My top 10 favorite FM songs are:

1. You Make Loving Fun
    2. Dreams
    3. Don't Stop
    4. Go Your Own Way
    5. Gold Dust Woman
    6. Rhiannon
    7. Landslide
    8. Say You Love Me
    9. The Chain
    10. Little Lies

Now what do most have in common? Rumours. I LOVE that album. My favorite Mac album. I love Stevie, Christine, and Lindsey's songs on that album.

I mentioned in the other thread about Lindsey's guitar playing. He is very underrated IMO. His fingerpicking technique and the way he mixes rock solos and folk style fingerpicking acoustic guitar is unique and pretty much his own.

Page 70 in my Classic Rock Stories by Tim Morse book.

Go Your Own Way-Stevie Nicks
    says: " Now, I want you to know-that line about 'shacking up?' I never shacked up with anybody when I was with him (Lindsey Buckingham)! People will hear the song and think that! I was the one that broke up with him. All he wanted to do was fall asleep with that guitar."

Edge Of Seventeen-Stevie Nicks
    says: "The line, 'And the days go by like a strand in the wind'-that's how fast those days were going by during my uncle's illness, and it was so upsetting to me. The part that says "I went today....maybe I will go again ....tomorrow.' refers to seeing him the day before he died. He was home, and my aunt had some music softly playing, and it was a perfect place for the spirit to go away. The 'white-winged dove' in the song is a spirit that is leaving a body, and I felt a great loss at how both Johns (her uncle and John Lennon) were taken. 'I hear the call of the night bird singing come away....come away...'"

Don't Stop-Christine McVie says: "'Don't Stop' was just a feeling. It just seemed to be a pleasant revelation to have that 'yesterday's gone' and it might have, I guess, been directed more toward John, but I'm just definitely not a pessimist."

Rhiannon-Stevie Nicks says: "I see her as a good witch. Very positive. I sing into that whole trip when I'm onstage.

The legend of Rhiannon is about the song of the birds that take away pain and relieve suffering. That's what music is to me, I don't want any pain...She is some sort of reality. If I didn't know she was a mythological character, I would think maybe she lived down the street."

Don't know if anyone else has heard this. I'm listening to Sirius Classic Rewind and DJ just said it's rumored that Fleetwood Mac's Rumors will be featured on next week's episode of Glee.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I caught an advertisement for the next show the other night and they were singing Don't Stop, so maybe!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

That's right! Check it out!

http://www.tvfanatic.com/2011/04/gle...-macs-rumours/

That's one TV show I'll definitely be watching! I hope they do justice to one of the best albums ever made.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten