Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Memphis, TN 11-16-08

Default Re: Memphis concert 11-16-08

Review: They're the Eagles -- what can you say?

Fans seem OK with uneven concert at FedExForum

By Bob Mehr (Contact), GoMemphis.com
    Originally published 04:08 p.m., November 17, 2008

How, or more accurately, why would anyone bother criticizing the Eagles at this point? Four decades and 120 million albums into their career, they're a group that has thrived on the slings and arrows directed at them by the press and their haters, actually reveling in the fact that they've been demonized far and wide for their rock-and-roll excess and success. Even the laid-back Dude, the protagonist in the Coen Brothers' "The Big Lebowski," famously ranted "I hate the (expletive) Eagles, man."
    Brandon Dill/The Commercial Appeal
    Don Henley delivers most of the strong vocal moments at Sunday's show.

As the group rolled into FedExForum Sunday night, in support of Long Road Out of Eden, their first new studio album since 1979, they remained the very picture of defiance -- even if their edges have been sanded down, and a self-referential humor has come to replace the smug arrogance of their '70s heyday.

That's why it would be churlish to point out that the Eagles took the stage in suits, dressed like bankers, and occasionally played with all the enthusiasm of a group of bored loan officers. For the near-capacity crowd that filled the arena, none of that mattered. By the time a lonely bolero trumpet signaled the start of "Hotel California" a few songs into the set, the audience was sold, eagerly anticipating each of the hits that followed from "Peaceful Easy Feeling" to "Witchy Woman" to "Lyin' Eyes."

While drummer Don Henley delivered most of the standout vocal moments, his partner Glenn Frey handled the bulk of the in-between song banter, and got off a number of good lines, recalling his hometown of Detroit as "the fertilizer of my genius" and a city where "mother is half a word."

Ever-goofy guitarist Joe Walsh provided most of the evening's sparks, turning out a trio of songs from his own catalog, including an especially spirited romp through "Life's Been Good." Walsh -- who spent a couple years living here in the late '80s -- even managed to get Frey to show a little local love, as they duetted on a version of Chuck Berry's "Memphis, Tennessee" which then segued into his James Gang signature "Funk #49."

Lithe, soft-spoken bassist Timothy B. Schmit also got his turn in the spotlight, delivering a handful of soulful ballads like "Love Will Keep Us Alive" and the Hi Records-influenced "I Can't Tell You Why" (though you had to wonder if 14 handicap golfer Frey was already thinking about his morning tee time when he congratulated Schmit with a strangely detached and robotic: "Thanks, Timothy... that ...was ... great.")

Carrying a full horn section, a trio of pianists/ keyboardists, a multi-instrumentalist and an extra percussionist, at times they sounded more like the Eagles Show Band and Revue, than a lean rock-and-roll outfit. But guitarist Steuart Smith capably filled the role of "Fifth Eagle" -- replacing the deposed Don Felder -- and his polished pop playing was a clear highlight as he nailed solo after solo on everything from "One of These Nights" to Henley's "Boys of Summer."

Unfortunately, the pacing of the show was poorly planned. A batch of mostly new, and frankly snoozy, songs followed a long intermission, making the set feel particularly flabby in the middle. The guitar-heavy title track of the new album was meant to be the dramatic centerpiece of the show. Written as a barbed criticism of the war in Iraq and the decaying state of American politics, policy and culture, it simply came off as ham-handed and po-faced (although listening to Henley -- a man whose '70s motto for bagging chicks was "Love 'em and Lear 'em" -- railing against the dangers of environmental abuse and global warming, never gets any less funny or ironic).

For a tour that's expected to gross tens of millions of dollars, the Eagles also should've invested in some better production values. Their JumboTron graphics were a curiously inept mix of stock footage (the sight of urban youths chest bumping during "In the City" was particularly hilarious) and images that looked like screen savers; it was almost a shock when a squadron of flying toasters didn't materialize.

But, of course, the crowd didn't come for such frills, but rather to hear the band's catalog of familiar to ubiquitous songs. On that count they delivered, mixing solo favorites like "Dirty Laundry" and surefire floor fillers like "The Long Run," bringing things full circle as they encored with the song that launched their career, "Take It Easy."

By show's end, as the four Eagles lingered onstage, soaking up the applause and scooping up bouquets of flowers, it was hard not to be won over -- if not by their music, then by the sheer unwavering self-belief that's carried them this far.

In the spirit of the above-mentioned Big Lebowski, I feel like ranting, "I hate this (expletive) Eagles review, man."

Poor pacing? Nope.

"Snoozy" songs after the intermission? Only snoozy to you, bub.

Invest in some better production values? Are you kidding? I was at the Eagles show, Bob--what show were YOU watching?

Why would anybody bother criticising the Eagles at this point? You tell me, Bob Mehr, since you contradicted your lead throughout this piece. I think the real question should be--since you obviously dislike the Eagles, why did you bother writing this review?

At least the flowers got a mention.
    Last edited by DonFan; 11-19-2008 at 12:20 AM.

If it would be churlish to point out how the Eagles appeared and performed as they did, then one Bob Mehr must be a churl...because he went ahead and pointed it out!!

I completely don't see his reasoning within the thoughts about how "funny or ironic" it is to hear Don sing about the dangers of environmental abuse, relative to his prior motto about "bagging chicks." What does one have to do with the other?? Everyone knows about all the environmental causes that Don has championed, so in no way is it ironic nor unbelievable when he writes or sings songs about the subject. But there is no relation there as to how he used to attract women---that whole thought process doesn't make sense! And BTW, what did he mean by "Lear" em--obviously a reference to Shakespeare's King Lear, but in what way? (Sorry, my Shakespeare is not quite up to snuff in all his plays...)

And I think it is really cool that the flower bouquets got noticed and publicized--good work!

I just thought of another reference...could it mean Lear jet, and he was just leaving them behind by flying away into the sunset?

EV, "Love 'em and Lear 'em" was a phrase attributed to Don when he was dating Stevie Nicks, when he sent a Lear jet to pick her up after a Fleetwood Mac concert and flew her to where he was.

Sounds like it could've been more women than just Stevie Nicks??

Stuck on the Border

EV - what an interesting idea! A King Lear reference. I think Waiting In The Weeds concerns the line 'ripeness is all'! And some of their more world weary songs bring to mind 'let me wipe (my hand) first/it smells of mortality'. I will stop there, I think.

DF, thank you for the review and for your comments about the official review. How apt.

The My Girl thing sounds more intriguing by the minute. I do have Glenn singing the whole song. If I saw such a thing I would faint.

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan View Post
    Thanks, Ticky. You really do need to take roses for Joe. The couple who knew him said they wish they had thought of that, too! Maybe we have started a trend!
    Although i thought i felt like a big dork carrying roses into the arena a week ago, i did hear other people saying they wish they thought of that too. And it turned out to be a really great idea. I say let's keep the trend going.

PB, what row were you in again?

Yeah, Don did the Lear jet thing several times. Yeah, that burned a lot of fuel. However, it was THIRTY FREAKING YEARS AGO. I guess Don's twenty years of hard work promoting the environment are absolutely meaningless as a result eh?

You're right CM - by his own admission, he is a churl!

DF - very cool that the flowers got mentioned. Just wish the rest of the review had been as cool.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

DF--so cool that the roses were mentioned in that article. Glad you had a great time!!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low