Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Tempchin

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Re: Jack Tempchin

Sounds like a great show. Thanks for the report.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Soda, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself! Sounds great!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Thanks,Soda! Sounds like it was a good evening.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Jack sounds and looks better than he did the last time I saw him perform a few years ago. His manager remembered me and I got to talk to Jack a bit afterwards.
    You're so lucky about meeting artists, Nancy! If you ever teach a seminar on the topic, I will definitely attend. I need to learn how to do that, and how to speak to them too.

Did Rusty mention how his autobiography is coming along?

The secret for lesser known people is mostly hovering around before or after a show, making educated guesses about where the artist might go (sometimes this takes a little research - finding out where the stage door is, for instance) - and then getting there first, CD and pen at the ready! They'll typically chat a bit while they sign unless they're in a rush. Sometimes they're cool with photos, sometimes not. You have to suss 'em out. If you're lucky, they might remember you in the future. I'm an average looking person with no "feminine wiles" to employ. I just smile big, gush excitedly, and try to communicate my admiration in a short space. Depending on how many other people are doing the same thing, that may or may not be enough!

With the big names, I usually have to do it through a fan club or VIP event or something. Sometimes you can get them the old-school way above, but if you try, be prepared for rejection. I stood at the stage door outside the Ryman, shivering in the cold, and waited for Don Henley for over an hour with about five other people... and when he finally came out he blew right by us, talking on his cell phone (my friend who was waiting with me said "Don just pulled a Paris Hilton" lol). I've only met and gotten a photo with DH because he was at a Stevie Nicks VIP charity event that I purchased a ticket for. I'm thinking the only way I'll ever get Don's autograph is if I do the "Runaway Don Henley Experience" thing or something along those lines. With Glenn, it took going to Pebble Beach. He was so open to fans at those tournaments that he approached us when he saw us following him from hole to hole. (THANK THE GOOD LORD IN HEAVEN THAT I WENT TO PEBBLE BEACH.) Each one is different. Again, you have to do some research.

Rusty didn't say anything about his autobiography, I'm afraid.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Thanks for posting Soda and sounds like it was great.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Thank you, Soda! This part made me smile, "I'm an average looking person with no 'feminine wiles' to employ." Au contraire, missy - if Tempchin's manager remembered you after several years you're seriously cute.

Do you think and plan what you're going to say, if it's someone significant to you like Stevie Nicks? [If this is too personal, ignore it]

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Thank you, Soda! This part made me smile, "I'm an average looking person with no 'feminine wiles' to employ." Au contraire, missy - if Tempchin's manager remembered you after several years you're seriously cute.
    I wish! He remembered me because I took time to chat with him for several minutes back in 2012 when many people don't bother. He said that he did Jack's Facebook for him, and my site came up - he was convinced that Eagles Online Central and the accompanying "This Day in Eagles History" Blog (which he uses for Jack's Facebook) were run by a man and I said "No, actually, that's my site." He was really surprised. I think that helped him remember me!

Do you think and plan what you're going to say, if it's someone significant to you like Stevie Nicks? [If this is too personal, ignore it]
    I definitely have something to say planned for people like Stevie. You especially need to plan if you know you won't have a lot of time. I didn't have anything planned for Glenn because I had no idea what to expect at Pebble Beach, but he was a great conversationalist, and I didn't have to come up with anything. That's the exception, not the rule.

What you say should be something short and sweet as well as relatively specific. If we don't plan, we fans tend to default to something like "I LOVE YOU" or, in my case, something more idiotic (see below paragraph). Most don't mind that, but if we can plan something different, it has a better chance of being memorable to them.

I met Stevie three times. The first time, I said nothing except my name so she could personalize her autograph and "Thank you" when she handed the autographed CD back to me. It was all over in a flash. The second time, I had nothing prepared and I'm going to be honest. I humiliated myself. I cringe to this day remembering it. It was BAD. A short excerpt: [Stevie takes my hand] "Thank you for coming and giving to the institute." Me: "OH MY GOSH, YOU TOOK MY HAND! I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS! THIS IS SO COOL!" I kid you not. I said that to her face, and a few other equally inane fangirl exclamations, before we had our photo together. Luckily, Stevie is used to this kind of behavior because many of her fans are like me, lol. Still, I was mortified. Afterwards, I swore I would never embarrass myself like that again. The third time, I planned this: "Stevie, your music means so much to so many people. Thank you for sharing it with us. It's changed my life. I hope you never stop." Now, I might have run together a couple of those lines when I finally got to talk to her and I'm not pretending my lines were Shakespearean, but it sure was better than what had happened the prior time.

Luckily, that third meeting was also the time Don was there, so he didn't witness the 2003 debacle. And I do want to add that Don was very sweet and gracious at the Stevie event. I hadn't planned anything for Don because I didn't know he would be there and, in 2005, I was not yet a hardcore fan. Thus, I just told him that he and Stevie sounded great together, that I appreciated him coming... he thanked me. Then, I made a couple situational jokes while we waited for my friend Kristin to finish talking to Stevie. He and Waddy Wachtel (who was also there) laughed and seemed to think I was funny. Good enough for me! Then, we were hustled away for the next photo op.

PS If you are lucky enough to have more time with them, then the more specific you are about how they've affected your life, the better.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Thank you so much for the advice and for sharing your experiences, Nancy. Though I think you're being too hard on yourself about the Stevie gushing - as you say, that's what people do when they meet the goddess.

I shall plan what to say to Brian Wilson. I've never done the VIP thang, maybe there won't be time to say much except "Thank you for your music" or "Oh gawd, can I hug you?" The latter would be bad.

I have met a few celebrities and for me. I get nervous because I don't like to talk anybody. Famous or not.

Next month, I went to a songwriters concert a few hours away. They were country artists who were not big anymore. One of the artist I spoke to for maybe 5 minutes. We talked about Branson, MO because he had his own show there and I told him I haven't gotten the chance to see it. I told him I wasn't going this year, but I will try to see it next year. He was happy to see a person who knew about Branson, MO and heard about his show there.

One particular group I see every year. They are the Osmonds. These brothers are very friendly and they do take the time to talk to you. They do remember your name and face. They also know who the crazies are. You don't want to be on that list. Trust me. LOL

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself at Jack's show.