Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading?

Default Re: What Are You Reading?

I have two friends who are totally into Twilight (ages 27 and 31) and they've been attempting to get me into it too, but I've been blowing it off. Maybe I should give it a try!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I haven't read Twilight either, but I know quite a few women who are raving about it! I'm reading In Cold Blood (Truman Capote.) I've wanted to read it for a long time, and only just got around to it.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Im pretty excited about the new Christopher Moore book, Fool. If you're familiar with Chris Moore, you might know Lamb; The Gospel according to Biff where he takes on the missing years of Christ as seen through his best friend Biff. Yeah, it's pretty irreverent, just my kind of thing *G* but it's very funny.
    Fool is Moore's take on The Bard of Avon. Having been a Shakespeare buff from Jr. High School, I am really excited about reading this. Moore's twisted sense of humor and take on things really makes me question old certainties. I highly recommend anything by Moore, if you like reading humor.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I have two friends who are totally into Twilight (ages 27 and 31) and they've been attempting to get me into it too, but I've been blowing it off. Maybe I should give it a try!
    You and I have similar taste in reading so I think you would like them. Glad to know I'm not "too old" to read them if your other friends are also into them.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Border Desperado

TBF, I've read Twilight! I had a friend who was obsessed with it and was getting frustrated because she had no one to discuss it with. So, I figured I would read it. Besides, she puts up with my Eagles talk ALL the time I might as well level the playing field. I couldn't put it down.

Troubadour, I read In Cold Blood a couple of months ago, I loved it. You'll have to tell us what you think of it.

I will do, melrose! I'm a few chapters in and I am gripped. It's so vivid. I'm a fan of detail.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

I'm reading "Empire Falls" by Richard Russo. I recently saw the movie and was so taken with it, I began reading the book. He won a Pulitzer Prize for this novel, and as I'm reading it, I can see why. I highly recommend it, and the movie too!

I´m reading at the moment Exposed from Alex Kava, before it I have read
    the biographies of Eric Clapton (The Autobiography) and genesis (chapter & verses), both very interesting!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    Im pretty excited about the new Christopher Moore book, Fool. If you're familiar with Chris Moore, you might know Lamb; The Gospel according to Biff where he takes on the missing years of Christ as seen through his best friend Biff. Yeah, it's pretty irreverent, just my kind of thing *G* but it's very funny.
    Fool is Moore's take on The Bard of Avon. Having been a Shakespeare buff from Jr. High School, I am really excited about reading this. Moore's twisted sense of humor and take on things really makes me question old certainties. I highly recommend anything by Moore, if you like reading humor.

Ticky, you and I may have to exchange some thoughts on Will Shakespeare at some time. The man is my ultimate, and I mean ultimate, hero. The book sounds interesting.

My current reading is Hugo's Les Miserables. After years of avoiding it I find it to be a potboiler which is a good read, but it's hardly in the same class as the Russian writers, for instance.

I also have a series of books with the following titles:

1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die
    1001 Albums You Mus Hear Before You Die
    1001 Books You Must Read...
    1001 Paintings You Must See...
    1001 Classical Recordings You Must Hear...
    1001 Historic Sites You Must See...
    1001 Dates That Shaped The World

and I'm going to painstakingly work my way through those again.

FP, I think I could really appreciate your list of 1001 paintings. I love art, particularly Turner and all Renaissance painting. I'm not so good on literature, movies and poetry.

I just joined a bookclub. The first book I had to read was 'Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe". I really enjoyed the book, but when I turned up for the evening we didn't really discuss it at all, just what to read next.

One of the best things about this book was the reference to a gospel hymn..."We shall meet on that beautiful shore by and by"....<Sigh>... Got me looking things up, and Johnny Cash did a version of that gospel song, but for me it will always remind me of the Sad Cafe,

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...