Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fast Company

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Fast Company

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    From this really cool lady introduced to me by... hmm, can't seem to remember.
    I showed Paula what you did with the pictures the other day and she was very impressed!! Said she's really glad she was able to make everyone so happy pulling out old pics like that. I passed on our thank yous once again.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    It is inexplicable to me how we can sometimes hear or see things so differently from others. FP, the one thing we agree on here is that there is no way I would claim that Glenn shares the lead on Center of the Universe and Long Road Out of Eden. However, there is also no way that I think COTU or LROOE features Glenn’s singing much more prominently than in Fast Company. In COTU or LROOE, Glenn’s voice is used to layer the vocals, but Henley’s voice remains dominant. In the Fast Company chorus, even though there are other voices harmonizing, they are very subdued and non-distinct. There is one voice in the chorus that is so dominant that I consider it a lead vocal. In my opinion, that is clearly Glenn’s voice.

ETA: The real question here for me is not whether or not Glenn's voice is dominant in the chorus, but whether is it dominant enough to be considered a lead vocal?

In my opinion having a lead vocal only on a chorus does not mean it is a lead vocal.

Of all people, I should be agreeing with you that Glenn's voice dominates the chorus. But I don't. As I said, it does not sound enough like him.

FP, do you call Ol' 55 a duet? Don only sings lead on the bridge.... well, I call what Don does there "singing lead." Perhaps you wouldn't?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Yes, Ol' 55 is a duet, as is Doolin-Dalton, as is How Long, After The Thrill Is Gone, What Do I Do With My Heart, Teenage Jail. In those songs the second singer has an enitire verse or bridge of his own. At no time in Fast Company does Glenn sing on his own, and the chorus isn't long enough to call that a 'lead' when Don and Tim are obviously singing with him.

Compare Good Day In Hell and King Of Hollywood. Both singers have lead credits. In GDIH they both sing the entire song together except for their adlibs at the end. In KOH they sing the entire song except for the 'after a while' verse which Don sings alone. But in those, they are singing verses. Glenn does backing vocals in the Fast Company verses, no more.

As far as I know, "lead vocal" is not defined as "singing on verses." One can sing lead and still sing only on choruses, if one's voice is significantly dominant. That is my opinion.

I'm not going to declare definitely that Glenn does or does not sing lead on the chorus. I believe he does, but everyone can decide for themselves.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Yes, Ol' 55 is a duet, as is Doolin-Dalton, as is How Long, After The Thrill Is Gone, What Do I Do With My Heart, Teenage Jail. In those songs the second singer has an enitire verse or bridge of his own. At no time in Fast Company does Glenn sing on his own, and the chorus isn't long enough to call that a 'lead' when Don and Tim are obviously singing with him.
    Once again agreeing with FP here...
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Wow--you guys are making some good points here and really have me thinking. I listened to this song 3 times last night, and still can't agree one way or the other. So I, of inquiring mind, started googling this morning to see what others may think about Fast Company (I have a lot of spare time today-so I am warning you all now-this could be a day of pics and posts from me-I need a life!) and came up with a few things I hadn't seen before regarding this song and others on the album. Sorry if any of these you have seen before. Here are a few links.

http://www.smoothjazznow.com/review_...ut_of_eden.htm

http://dailyrepublic.typepad.com/wad...-newest-j.html

And this a review written by someone for Amazon reviews: "After Weeds, all the other would seem insubstantial but in true Eagles tradition the material all stands up. No More Cloudy Days will have its fans, followed by Henley doing his best Bee Gee's impression on Fast Company. This has a killer chorus and will grow on you. Next up is a piece of Schmit brilliance with Do Something, more like his Poco work & Frey closes with another highlight You Are Not Alone."

Henley doing his best Bee Gee's impression? What? LOL!

And a quote from a review from Undercover.com: "'Fast Company' – Eagles R&B? This one is different. As soon as he opens his mouth, Henley's falsetto tips you off that the Eagles were up for a left turn and this is the one."

I do know that I still really like this song--Love the R & B sound of it! My 2 cents!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border

It's sort of a Bee Gees impression but it's less shrill than Barry Gibb can be.

Our fundamental disagreement is about how 'substantial' the chorus is and whether the vocal deserves to be classified as 'lead'. The chorus consists of the words 'fast company, fast company, you're going nowhere, you're going nowhere fast' repeated several times. Compare that with the chorus of Lyin' Eyes, for instance. It isn't enough, in my opinion, to claim that whoever sings this deserves a lead vocal on the ENTIRE song - and that's what you're claiming, not just the chorus, but the whole song. You're saying that if there were a credit (which there isn't) it should be 'lead vocals by Don Henley and Glenn Frey'.

To me, much as I love Glenn, this whole premise is being very unfair to Don, who sings the song with some help from Glenn and possible Tim in the 'ooh ooh' part.

I'm on the side that this song is not a shared lead. I don't know much about all of the technical terms and stuff but (although Glenn's voice is heard in this song) his voice doesn't stand alone in this song to be considered a shared lead imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Technically, I think the chorus isn't really a harmonizing, but several people singing different octaves of the same notes.

I can't pick out Glenn's vocal in the chorus. This song does not have a shared lead, IMO.
    Gotta agree with everything here PM. That's exactly the way I see it (er..I guess it would be hear it lol) too!