Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fast Company

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Fast Company

First of all, before I posted this, I searched this forum for a thread on this song. Since we discussed the song in detail when it was released on the Farewell I bonus CD, I was very surprised to find that there wasn't a thread for it. The discussion must have taken place in another thread. Anyway, I wanted to start this thread to discuss the song. I'll start because the LROOE Survivor Game got me to thinking about this - is it just me or am I the only one who thinks Fast Company is a shared lead with Don singing the verses and Glenn singing the chorus? Now I know others are singing the chorus, but Glenn's voice is so dominant that I consider it a shared lead vocal. Since the LROOE credits don't help us out here, I was wondering if others agree.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Default Re: Fast Company

We discussed this song in the thread about new songs off of the Farewell 1 Bonus Disc, so that's why you couldn't find an individual thread on it. That was certainly a Thanksgiving to remember! Hard to believe it's been almost two years.

I agree that it's a Don/Glenn shared lead. At first I thought it was just Don, but on the chorus, Glenn's vocal is much more audible.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

So are you guys saying that the "talk to me" part is Glenn's vocal that we're hearing?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Fast Company is indeed a shared song between Don & Glenn.
    After 300 times listening I noticed Glenn's voice also.

PM, the "talk to me" part is Don.
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    So are you guys saying that the "talk to me" part is Glenn's vocal that we're hearing?
    No, I consider that the bridge. The chorus I refer to is simply "Fast company, fast company... you're going nowhere, you're going nowhere fast" (repeat as needed).

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    No, I consider that the bridge. The chorus I refer to is simply "Fast company, fast company... you're going nowhere, you're going nowhere fast" (repeat as needed).
    I'm sorry, I consider that the bridge, too. I wasn't thinking. So Glenn comes in at the "everybody wanna be your friend" and at the same part in the folowing verses, right? And you're saying he sings during the chorus, which I'm sure he does, but which part? Is he the really low voice?

And let me just reiterate what I posted in the survivor thread. Don's vocal during the bridge is awesome! I love it! Wish I liked the whole song as much.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I'm no expert in studio technique, but I think the "everybody wanna be your friend" / "where do I fit in" is Don with his voice manipulated a bit.

On the words "Fast Company, Fast Company / You're going nowhere, you're going nowhere fast" Glenn's voice is the lower of the two, as Don is still singing falsetto. Glenn's voice has been turned up in the mix during that part and therefore dominates, which makes me think he is doing the lead there.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I totally agree with your assessment there, Soda. Even though there is other background singing in the chorus, Glenn's is, by far, the dominant voice.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

It's really a great combination of those two great voices!
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

Stuck on the Border

I disagree. Having a prominent part in the chorus doesn't make it a shared lead, and I don't think the vocal is as distinctlvely 'Glenn' as others do. You can still hear Don all over it. He sings lead.

You hear Glenn more on the 'everybody wanna be your friend' part, in my opinion. I've tried to convince myself the chorus is all Glenn with Don in the background, and I can't.