Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ringo Starr No Longer Accepting Fan Mail

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

Default Re: Ringo Starr No Longer Accepting Fan Mail

Yep, I'm really stopping this time.

My opinion: I think that there wouldn't be such a drama as he just thanked his fans for writing letters, but that he doesn't want to reply back to them anymore or something like that.

and that trowing away is terrible.. ok that you want to stop with signing stuff, your choice but fan mail trow away unread.. sorry that's not my favorite thing of him.
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

And why the October 20th deadline? That really gets me! I was having a conversation on the phone a little bit ago (and you know who you are) and she made another point--he's probably lucky he will no longer be reading fan mail, because from here on in he will most likely be getting HATE mail--I hadn't thought of that! Good point!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Of course, Hate mails.. also a point.
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

You know - this is just too sad. I always liked Ringo, but this is just stupid. I'm sure Ringo must get a fair amount of fan mail - after all, he was a member of what is largely considered to be the greatest band of all time.

But I don't care who you are - entertainers depend on their fans for their livlihood, and should be immensely respectful of them, IMHO. Of course, I'm sure Ringo has more money than he will ever need, but that is not the point. I totally agree with those of you who said how disrespectful of his fans that this is. If this is how he feels, I guess I can sort of understand that this can get tiresome. After all, he is human. However, he could have chosen to keep his mouth shut instead of doling out an ungrateful, unappreciative slap in the face to all of those people who have admired him and made him a very wealthy man. I don't know if sending hate mail is the answer since it will apparently just end up in the trash, but I hope his fans figure out a way to return the favor to him.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I guess I figure this........sometimes a fan just wants to put pen to paper and tell someone how they've changed their life. When I wrote to Don, I didn't write it with the intention of getting a response. I wasn't even sure if he'd read it.....but I felt better getting it all out. lol If you don't want to read the fan mail then don't! But don't rob you fans of feeling like they can give something back to you by telling you how much they love you and your music. Yes, if he had worded it differently I probably wouldn't have been so offended by it...but I still think it's ridiculous. Honesty is one thing........but it's not enough to save this for me.

Stuck on the Border

Folks... as we're on the subject....I've bought Glenn a birthday card. Now I'd like you all to persuade me to send it and I would like you to give me some ideas for an accompanying letter. I know that I won't receive a reply. I feel that I have to do this for the BIG 6 -0 (in 1998 when he turned 50 the band was inactive and it wasn't a big deal at the time for me, as I'd just had my daughter).

I know you'll say to me 'only you can decide what to write' and 'only you can express to Glenn how you feel about his music' (NB I said MUSIC) but this seems important. I don't want to lose my nerve. If you would rather PM me than discuss it here feel free. If you think I shouldn't send it, please say so. Thanks.

Without a doubt I think you should send it FP! I'll have to get back to you on ideas of what to say, but I think it's a great idea!

What a lovely idea, FP! You should definitely send it.

Some ideas:

You can tell him why you appreciate his music so much, why you find it affecting, why you love to listen to it. If there's been occasions when it's especially helped you through a tough time or even helped make a great time better, you can talk about that. If there are certain songs that especially move you, you can mention those as well. You can tell him how you saw him in concert way back in 1988, and how wonderful it was to get to see such a rare appearance. You can tell him that you got to be at the filming of Farewell 1, and how magical that was. You can express hopes of one day going to another solo show - perhaps put in a plug for Oz. You can tell him how much you love Long Road Out of Eden and that you hope he puts out another solo album.

Just some suggestions!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I agree with everyone else here- SEND IT! I think Soda came up with quite a bit of good ideas. That is the kind of stuff I put in my letter to Timothy last week--by the way -also soon to be a birthday boy!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low