Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Eagles nominated for 4 American Music Awards!

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Default Re: Eagles nominated for 4 American Music Awards!

The lead singer of Daughtry is an American Idol reject and they won last night.

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    The lead singer of Daughtry is an American Idol reject and they won last night.
    I think the jury is still out. Someone else said it.....50 years from now, people will still know who the Eagles and Beatles were, but I doubt they'll know who Daughtry is/was

MikeA

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

I've never understood the popularity of Daughtry??? He's 'okay' but I couldn't hum you even one of his songs. Carrie Underwood is pretty good but, even she, is not one of those singers people are going to be talking about 30 years from now. I didn't watch the show. I see Rascal Flatts won AGAIN

Mike - I think you hit the nail on the head..... and IMHO, I don't really think the Eagles care that they didn't win anything last night..... I think they're all pretty happy with the success of their current tour - not to mention the millions of $$$ (billions?) their records are still making.

And, no, I don't think there were too many people over the age of 40 who probably voted in the AMA's...... they were all home, happily listening to the Eagles on their Ipods or watching their videos on UTube - or attending the concerts!

I like Daughtry because they have some really good songs like What About Now and Home. Carrie Underwood is very talented, too, as is Kelly Clarkson. Jennifer Hudson, although not a winner, blew me away with her voice in Dreamgirls. Both she and Chris Daughtry made it pretty far, didn't they? I think Daughtry was in the top 2. American Idol hasn't done too badly.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I like Daughtry because they have some really good songs like What About Now and Home. Carrie Underwood is very talented, too, as is Kelly Clarkson. Jennifer Hudson, although not a winner, blew me away with her voice in Dreamgirls. Both she and Chris Daughtry made it pretty far, didn't they? I think Daughtry was in the top 2. American Idol hasn't done too badly.

You're right Soda...as usual. AI has done all right. But you pretty much named the ones who have quite a bit of "name recognition". Who was the big guy who bet Akins? Akins had an album but I don't think it did all that well. Hudson made a big splash and did well in the theater, but still hasn't really become a "star" has she? I mean a "Commercially Marketable STAR".

Of all of them I think that Carie Underwood is the only one to go on to become a big "star". Daughtry might make it. The guy who won last year had a good Rock voice, but from what I hear, every song on his album sounds pretty much like every other song on the album. It takes more than that to be a star. Underwood has it! I'm skeptical that the others will really become big.

But my bias is showing there. I could be totally out in left field.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

I agree Mike. Carrie is probably the best bet. I'd forgotten about Kelly Clarkson - I liked her at the time but seems like she's been MIA lately? Wasn't there some fuss over her last album? She went her own way with it but then it didn't do very well - something like that. Seems like I haven't heard anything from her since then.

I agree with you as well Mike. I think that the greater majority of artists making any kind of popularity noise these days will not be thought of much in 20 years. Sort of like the "stars" of the 80's and 90's. Yes, there are some that have kept afloat, but all in all, I can not think of too many that have had the staying power to maintain the ability to fill the types of show houses as bands like the eagles. Mind you, this opinion is coming from someone who has been playing music for about 25 years, just not in front of anyone. (That makes me almost pee from pure stagefight thoughts!!!)
    "Burning the candle at both ends, twice the light in half the time..."

Gotta disagree here on American Idol stars. Just because they won a reality show doesn't mean they arent talented or aren't deserving. Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, David Cook, Chris Daughtry, Jennifer Hudson, Bo Bice.......all are some of my favorite vocalists and all are VERY talented. Ruben Studdard, Clay Aiken, Jordin Sparks, David Archuleta, Fantasia, Elliot Yamin........they are all also very talented in their own genre's of music and have all had big songs. Yeah, there have been some unfortunate contestants who just weren't very good. But I can point out a lot of those that "made it" on their own and somehow managed to get signed to a recording contract! lol As far as seeing the longevity of artists like the Eagles, the Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, and others...I doubt even they thought back in the 70's that they would be at the level that they are at today. You just never know how music trends are going to go. They change so fast now days that you could be popular one day and the next day be "so yesterday." lol Regardless, I love AI (in case you coudn't tell) because I love music and I love to watch as America discovers an amazing voice emerge from the unknowns!

Quote Originally Posted by tbs fanatic View Post
    I agree Mike. Carrie is probably the best bet. I'd forgotten about Kelly Clarkson - I liked her at the time but seems like she's been MIA lately? Wasn't there some fuss over her last album? She went her own way with it but then it didn't do very well - something like that. Seems like I haven't heard anything from her since then.
    She wanted to record her own songs and in the style that she wanted and her record label wanted her to record a pop album of songs that they chose. She argued with the label owner (Clive Davis I think?) and the media made a big deal of it. Unfortunately, yes, the album was pretty much a bust (although it has a song called "Be Still" on it that I love!). She just signed Reba McEntire's husband, Narvel, as her manager and either just finished, or is just finishing up a tour with Reba. I went to one of the shows in October and it was amazing! They sang for about 3 hours and shared leads on each song. Kelly has such an amazing voice though. She even brought Reba to tears a couple of times.

Back to the Eagles topic (sorry for straying! lol)......whether they won or not....it is definently an accomplishment that they should be proud of to even be nominated. The AMA awards are notorious for nominating the "it" artists. The ones that can do no wrong for that year and have had all the #1 songs. So to be included in the categories that they were, with the other artists that they were, at this stage in their career is awesome!