Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Eagles nominated for 4 American Music Awards!

Default Re: Eagles nominated for 4 American Music Awards!

I second that GL. The Who is another band that is my favorite that hasn't really won any awards, but they still have the music.

Sorry everyone, but I have been out all evening. I know the guys went 0-4 but were any of them at the ceremony?

Nope DF. They had a show in Hershey, PA tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    He has a big head
    LOL!! I've always thought the same thing.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Went to bed before it was all over with and couldn't wait to check this out this morning. What a bummer but I guess no real big surprise. I'm really glad they got nominated tho. With all these young hip artists, what an honor to still be included in this group. Of course, I think they should of ran away with all of them but I knew better. At least all of us here know who is the best group and has been for many many many many years!!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I'm not sure where I'm going with this or how I'm going to get there, so bear (bare...something like that) with me until I get there.

Speculation was "why" the Eagles didn't win in the AMA's last night. I really didn't expect them to win when the winners were to be selected by popularity as judged by phone votes or text messaging. I've felt the same way about other "contests" in which popular vote determined the winner such as "American Idol" or "RockStar" or "SuperNovae". Most of the time, the best and most talented person doesn't win and often completely FLOPS as a star after the competition is over. Where is "Supernovae" now? They AREN'T! Where is NXSS now? They pretty much aren't! In fact, about the only one that I see still making great noise is that young female country singer from Oklahoma that won on American Idol a couple of years ago...She's BIG. But she is the exception! Daughtry is doing okay, but nothing in comparrison to Ms Oklahoma!!!! Ironic that I can't think of her name, but then I'm not at all into country music.

As a matter of fact, there is even a hugely populated website dedicated to choosing the WORST performer in these Reality Show contests and throwing their combined weight behind getting them through to the finals! And to a degree they have enough weight to actually influence the results!

I do not think that these real-time votes are indicative of the popularity of an artist or band by the entire audience of those of us who appreciate "music". Rather, it is a reflection of the popularity of artists and groups who are popular with those who are quick to express their opinions using the technology of today.

Back around 1980 when the Eagles released the biggest selling record EVER (Greatest Hits), think of their audience. It was mostly US! Those of us who were around when they released the album. I don't think that the Eagles have lost many fans over the last 30 years! In fact, I think they have gained more fans than they've lost through the normal aging process (some of us didn't make it!).

But the reason they didn't WIN last night was because those of us who are their fans, are not the ones picking up the phone and casting our votes! The portion of the music appreciating population who voted and produced the results of last night's awards ceremony, are those who are into the Hip Hop and Pop type music that is performed by the artist that did win.

It's no reflection on the Eagles that they didn't win. It is a reflection only on those who DIDN'T vote. I didn't. Never occurred to me to cast a vote. While many of YOU may have voted, I think there must have been far more like me who didn't.

None of that in any way indicates that I think the Eagles are not still the Greatest Band on the Planet (as Joe would say).

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by Peekaboo View Post
    LOL!! I've always thought the same thing.

I'm sure it's gotten even bigger since he won last night

Well put, Mike.

I assume you mean Carrie Underwood Mike? I agree with you that it is rarely the most talented performer that wins these reality shows. Though in her case...

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthyme View Post
    I assume you mean Carrie Underwood Mike? I agree with you that it is rarely the most talented performer that wins these reality shows. Though in her case...
    Yeah, that's her name. Sweet voice. She was on some show this past year where That Flatts and something else were trying to do Desperado. Carrie came on and carried the performance. The other two were butchering it <LOL> It might have been the rock-n-roll Induction ceremony.

She's pretty wonderful though if you like that kind of music!

MikeA