Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Eagles nominated for 4 American Music Awards!

Default Re: Eagles nominated for 4 American Music Awards!

Cannot argue with a thing you've stated Meleah. Not a single point. These kids do have great voices. "Cook". That's the guy that won last year wasn't he? I do like the quality of his voice. He can reach "gravelie" notes (like with gravel in his voice!) that peels paint from the rafters! Ruben Studdard (he's the big guy, right?) he was able to do the same thing though I though Akins should have been the pick that year. I do appreciate the vocal qualities these singers have.

I'm not throwing asparagus at them! My only point was that as far as a really successful Star in the industry, I think that Carrie is the only one who has succeeded. Maybe the others have deserved it but haven't really accomplished it yet.

And, quite possibly, no one will ever reach the summit of the industry as did the Eagles and Beatles and The Who and others back in the day. I hope I am wrong. Even at my age, I would like to hear something "revolutionary", something "new". (And it ain't agonna be no hip-hop for ME)

I have had a huge disappointment with the results of these shows myself. Happened with "RockStar SuperNova" was televised. Dilana Smith was a "contestant" on that show. No one with any kind of ear for music could honestly deny that Dilana was the absolute cream of all of the talent that was trying to become the "frontman" for that band. She did and still does, give me goosebumps with virtually every song she sang.

She wasn't selected by the band. I honestly believe they were afraid that she (Dilana) would completely overshadow the group of Stars who were playing the instruments. I was disappointed when she lost out to that guy from Canada (Lucas I think his name was) but so much MORE disappointed when she was not able to get her career launched.

Something happened with her tour in the UK and Canada. She was left holding the bag in London I think....mis-management she said. I think her backers just pulled out on her myself. Anyway, she had to fall back on a plea to her fans (a lot of outlaw biker gangs are included in that group of fans) through the Internet to get enough money to basically hitchhike across Canada to perform that leg of the tour. Another fan gave her the airline tickets to get from the UK to Canada!

Folks, Dilana is a TALENT. And she WORKS at what she does giving it EVERYTHING. But she isn't being "bought" by the public. There is a big problem in the industry when such talent as Dilana's goes unrecognized. Something is wrong with the System.

I guess I should be resigned to happiness that at least the Eagles have found a way to maintain a level of success. But I have doubts that they could break into the industry today if they were totally unknown like they were back in 1969. And if you know me, you KNOW that is a slam on the industry and today's "buying public", NOT on the Eagles talent!

MikeA

I definently understand what you're saying Mike! Yes, that was David Cook that won last year and I LOVE his voice! I love those "raspy, "gravelly" voices and he definently has it and with range! I agree that Clay Aiken should have won that year. I thought he should have beat Ruben that year but oh well. lol

I agree about no one really reaching the "summit" and I think a big reason is because the BIG style of music these days is rap/hip hop and punk music......and most of the artists sound the same or very similar. There really aren't distinguising characteristics these days. Which is one reason I think Carrie is doing so well. Her voice is very distinct. I really think David Cook will do well too and Kelly Clarkson has had a great career.

Hopefully the tide changes soon and we'll see something a little more unique be the "next big thing." lol

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    I guess I should be resigned to happiness that at least the Eagles have found a way to maintain a level of success. But I have doubts that they could break into the industry today if they were totally unknown like they were back in 1969. And if you know me, you KNOW that is a slam on the industry and today's "buying public", NOT on the Eagles talent!

One other thing I forgot to comment on was this part. I completely agree that it's hard to see the Eagles breaking into the industry today as they did so many years ago. As sad as that is to say. Today's music industry requires women who are breaking into the business to dress half naked and dance provocatively and requires that the men pretty much be good looking guys who can dance and have music with a hip hop beat. There's not much room for people to break in based on musical talent alone anymore. Gone are the days where an average looking person can go into a record label's office with an amazing song and get signed on that alone. At least in my opinion those days are gone. Good songs aren't a requirement anymore. That is why I cherish the songwriting of the likes of Mr. Henley!

Well, if you like "that kind of voice" and I do too, then I can tell you who the next "big one" should be but probably won't be.

This dynamite is in a very small package. She's covered in tattoos and I think may have commissioned the demolition of a 747 to construct the piercings she has. Wild hair and wilder stage clothes. The type "punk looking" person that I would NEVER in a million years have thought I'd get chill bumps over. But she did it. She hooked me and I'm not easily hooked.

Her name: "Dilana Smith" with some credentials as "Dilana Robichaux". Her primary instrument (her voice) has so much smoke in it, grit encrusted in it and decibels pushing it that it is impossible to believe she is the source!

I think I've heard her sing covers of "Who", "Johnny Cash", "Nivarna", and others, putting her own spin on them to the point of having results that should have been released on an album. And, the music she writes herself is first class as well.

I'm not sure why she is struggling now. But in my mind, she is THE best female Rock Vocalist on the Planet today! If you haven't heard her sing, check her out. She was a finalist on "Rockstar Supernova" a few years ago but that is about the only exposure she's had in big media. For years she played bars down in Texas. Remind you of anyone? Does Stevie Ray Vaughan and Janis Joplin ring any bells? I thought the exposure on the TV Reality Rock show might propel her into the limelight but for some reason it didn't.

If somehow you get the impression that I'm a bit ga-ga over her, you would be spot on!

MikeA

I'll definently have to check her out cuz I LOVE that type of voice! And I would never have been able to guess that you are a little gaga over her Mike.