Page 60 of 109 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast

Thread: Gearhead

Default Re: Gearhead

This is a good read on Jimmy Page and the '59 LP....shaved neck and all.

CLICK HERE TO READ IT

MikeA

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    This is a good read on Jimmy Page and the '59 LP....shaved neck and all.

CLICK HERE TO READ IT
    Very cool!

Stuck on the Border

If you ever want to get a book full of pictures of vintage Les Pauls, you must get "Beauty Of The Burst". I just pulled my copy off of the bookshelf. It's the equivalent of Playboy for Les Paul lovers! It's full of pictures of late 50s sunburst Gibson Les Paul Standards. Most of all of them are absolutely killer guitars.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Beauty-Burst-Book-Yasuhiko-Iwanade/dp/0793573742/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294484992&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.com/Beauty-Burst-Book-Yasuhiko-Iwanade/dp/0793573742/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294484992&sr=8-1[/ame]

Stuck on the Border

And what is the "Playmate of the month" in this issue?
    The "Playmate" is what as known as the "Dapra Burst", a guitar owned by a famous collector. The best looking Les Paul I've ever seen. It's won many awards and is the most famous non-celebrity owned guitar out there. It's a beauty. It just so happens to be in the middle of the book too (centerfold).

I think maybe in this thread is is okay to lost adult material:

Here are 3 Dapra Bursts. The one in the center is "uncirculated". Can you imagine the pricetag on it were it to be sold?

MikeA

I know you are not a fan of Digital effects Austin, but my budget and my skill set fits in more with digital effects. Were I gigging, I don't think I'd feel that way.

But for playing around with digital recording, it seem fittin' that digital effects would work <LOL>

I have most all of the digital effects that could ever need in my software but it lacks one aspect that I DO need. That is the option of switching tones in the middle of a run and that is something that needs a pedal.

So I've been looking and there are two that jump out at me.

One is the Boss ME-25. It's pretty cool and has a 38 second loop.

The other one is a Vox ToneLab ST. I've really been impressed with the VOX amp I use and the Vox pedal has a tube driver in it as well as a VOX expression pedal. It wouldn't be the same pedal as a dedicated pedal but I think it will probably outlast the plastic expression pedals that come on the Digitec and probably the BOSS pedals. And I think the Vox ToneLab ST is a metal unit.....endurance.

I need to go to Guitar Center and try one out.

Last edited by MikeA; 01-08-2011 at 12:38 PM.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border

I know you are not a fan of Digital effects Austin, but my budget and my skill set fits in more with digital effects. Were I gigging, I don't think I'd feel that way.

But for playing around with digital recording, it seem fittin' that digital effects would work <LOL>

I have most all of the digital effects that could ever need in my software but it lacks one aspect that I DO need. That is the option of switching tones in the middle of a run and that is something that needs a pedal.

So I've been looking and there are two that jump out at me.

One is the Boss ME-25. It's pretty cool and has a 38 second loop.

The other one is a Vox ToneLab ST. I've really been impressed with the VOX amp I use and the Vox pedal has a tube driver in it as well as a VOX expression pedal. It wouldn't be the same pedal as a dedicated pedal but I think it will probably outlast the plastic expression pedals that come on the Digitec and probably the BOSS pedals. And I think the Vox ToneLab ST is a metal unit.....endurance.

I need to go to Guitar Center and try one out.

Honestly I'd recommend a Line 6 "POD" Mike. They have presets for songs, amp models, effects pedals, etc and for the same price. If you want to go the Multieffects route, you want something nice. I'd highly recommend this. If I was gonna buy a floor multieffects thingamajig it'd be a POD. The Vox you are thinking about is nice, but for multieffects processors, Line 6 is the king of digital emulators. I really recommend checking into something made by them. I have their "Pocket POD" for travel. I can play a guitar through headphones with some effects when we travel and stuff. It's a pretty good for a digital box.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...dal?sku=150212

http://line6.com/floorpodplus/index.html

Stuck on the Border

I think maybe in this thread is is okay to lost adult material:

Here are 3 Dapra Bursts. The one in the center is "uncirculated". Can you imagine the pricetag on it were it to be sold?

OMG!!!! Talk about stunning! I'm drooling.... P47s right, a cold shower is in order!

Stuck on the Border

What a "perfect centerfold" name.

On that pic of the three Gibbys: All of them are valuable, but only the one in the center is a true '59 and it is also "uncirculated". They were estimating the value at $400,000. But that was a comment thrown out and I don't know how serious the comment was.

The other two were examples of later model guitars and one was possibly fairly new. The thing in common was that 'finish' that Gibson is calling the "Vic" finish, or something like that.

I looked for that guitar book at a used book store last night with no success.

I posted that pic of the VOX ToneLab ST pedal. It's nice enough and I did read some reviews on it. It does have "amp models" built into the eProm or what they call the "Operating System" and that would be okay. The big selling point though for the VOX would seem to me to be that main Power Tube in it. VOX has made a big thing of that even in their Valvestate Amps like the AD30VT which I have.

But there are other multi-effects pedals that would do nicely for the same or less money. Pedals like the Boss ME-50. From what I read, that is a very nice pedal with better effects than the VOX ToneLab and it is the effects that I'm after really and a way to control the sound on the fly.

A couple of reviews made comments about the tube in the VOX stating that it is just a marketing gimmick. Maybe. I just don't know. I'd have to listen to the VOX side by side with any other pedal I might be considering. That is a rather difficult comparison though because you'd want to "hear" a riff played through both stomp boxes using the same effect and then, any difference you hear might be a matter of getting the effect dialed in exactly the same.

Stilll, there could be glaring differences like "feel" of the expression pedal or some other physical attribute (made out of plastic instead of metal).

I'll most likely try to find some good unbiased reviews. That in itself is not easy. Most people either have an axe to grind and post blisteringly bad reviews or they post the dadgum review the same day they bought the pedal and really don't even know what they have gotten into. Then the reviews that seem to be really good reviews, you always have to wonder if it is the owner not wanting to admit that he really wasted his money and is trying to convince himself he didn't!

In the end, it all boils down to using it and seeing if it fits YOUR needs regardless of the opinion of others. There are several Boss, Line-6 and VOX pedals on eBAy.

MikeA