Page 5 of 109 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Gearhead

Default Re: Gearhead

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    Boarderline is good *G* I just want to see how we're gonna manage practice!!
    Simple. Y'all just come on over to my house. Basement and plenty of electrical outlets. One of you guys must bring the cookies though!

MikeA

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Cookies I can do, Kansas?? might be a long drive *G* I say we all meet in Vegas.

We usually stay on Fremont St (Old Las Vegas) when we go. When I'm tired of the machines and tables, there is sometimes a live band (well, some of them are alive) playing on one of the two free stages at the two closed intersections under the canopy. I've seen some good ones. But the nights those stages are not being used, we could probably plug in there.

We'd have to be careful though. While I wouldn't mind being a part of a $1,000,000.00 a performance gig, I don't particularly want to end up like Celine or Sir Elton so I think I'll stick to my basement. But then again, we might need Elton on keyboards and Celine could sing background "do-ops".

MikeA

Borderline sounds a great name for a the band!

I've been reading this thread with interest, and enjoying the guitar pics. I take an interest in the guitars that the Eagles play, and somewhere there is a thread called 'Glenn's equipment' which featured some of his guitars.

Ticky and GA, your guitars are beautiful.

I wish I could play. I was encouraged to be musical but as my dad played violin, that was what I learnt and I had little talent. I'd have loved piano or guitar lessons. I always used to sing in a choir as well, so at least I can read music. We encouraged our two boys with music. They both had piano lessons but it was always a struggle, then my older son started on the trumpet and moved on to the French horn, while younger son also played trumpet. Now my older son has taught himself guitar. He has an acoustic, a very cheap classical guitar, and a sunburst Epiphone Les Paul which he bought well before I ever knew Mr Frey played one! Then just this week, he bought a Yamaha synthesizer, so perhaps I could offer him as your keyboard player! Younger son has a Yamaha bass in a natural wood finish, and plays with friends in a band.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Lovely guitars!!!

I have a guitar, an acoustic one.. only there are 2 problems
    1. the guitar isn't good anymore, the strings are a little wrong
    2. I can't play guitar!
    I can play the drums a little, but would love it to have a workshop drumming from Mr Don Henley, but I will keep dreaming about that.

First learn to play guitar
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Henley View Post
    Lovely guitars!!!

I have a guitar, an acoustic one.. only there are 2 problems
    1. the guitar isn't good anymore, the strings are a little wrong
    2. I can't play guitar!
    I can play the drums a little, but would love it to have a workshop drumming from Mr Don Henley, but I will keep dreaming about that.

First learn to play guitar
    The "strings are a little wrong?" I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask how they can be "wrong". Would a new set of strings fix the issue? A set is pretty inexpensive....< $12.00 US for really good sets.

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    The "strings are a little wrong?" I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask how they can be "wrong". Would a new set of strings fix the issue? A set is pretty inexpensive....< $12.00 US for really good sets.
    Well, they don't play good (a friend played also on it and he is a guitarist), and the guitar isn't straight (well the strings aren't) Yeh, I have to buy new ones, will find some string monday after college.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Henley View Post
    Well, they don't play good (a friend played also on it and he is a guitarist), and the guitar isn't straight (well the strings aren't) Yeh, I have to buy new ones, will find some string monday after college.

Ahhh, NOW I'm beginning to "get it". It has to be that your friend was talking about the neck of the guitar. Not knowing what brand and model it is and since I can't see it, I was suggest that you take it into a music shop and have them adjust the truss rod if it has one. That's what it's there for.

If it has one, the nut that is turned to adjust the neck is probably underneath a shield looking thing up on the Headstock right behind the "nut" that the strings first touch after leaving the posts of the tunning machines.

YOU don't want to try to adjust it though. Let someone who knows what they are doing give it a twist. Walsh had a VHS tape out (maybe still does) where he talks about neck adjustments. It's not hard, but you sort of do need to know what you are looking for as you adjust it. They (music store) might not even charge you for it if you bought strings from them.

MikeA

Haha, I don't know the brand also.

Thnx for the info

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Ahhh, NOW I'm beginning to "get it". It has to be that your friend was talking about the neck of the guitar. Not knowing what brand and model it is and since I can't see it, I was suggest that you take it into a music shop and have them adjust the truss rod if it has one. That's what it's there for.

If it has one, the nut that is turned to adjust the neck is probably underneath a shield looking thing up on the Headstock right behind the "nut" that the strings first touch after leaving the posts of the tunning machines.

YOU don't want to try to adjust it though. Let someone who knows what they are doing give it a twist. Walsh had a VHS tape out (maybe still does) where he talks about neck adjustments. It's not hard, but you sort of do need to know what you are looking for as you adjust it. They (music store) might not even charge you for it if you bought strings from them.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Ticky! If you think its difficult to get from Oregon to Kansas for practice can you imagine hubby's reaction when I suggest going from Ireland to Kansas!! But somehow if 'Borderline' makes it, I will too!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP