Page 55 of 299 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you listening to right now?

Default Re: What are you listening to right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I didn't mind one little bit! Thank you MF for helping me out here! I do like the original recording best.

Oh yes, very nice lips indeed!
    Glad I could be of assistance, Brooke! I do so enjoy being of assistance. Oh, and I thought you would agree about Mike's lips...

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Love it MF!! Wasn't Sweets For My Sweet done by someone else also in the 70's? It seems I remember having a 45 single of that song but not this version.
    Glad you like the videos and eye-candy, TBF! Your thoughts are interesting. I don't recall "Sweets For My Sweet" being recorded in the '70s, but I do know that Smokie covered "Needles And Pins" during that decade. Is that perhaps the record you're thinking of?

Quote Originally Posted by Stars View Post
    MF, I think Mike Pender looks very handsome at 67! Do you know if he was ever part of the Moody Blues? (I am probably thinking of someone else!)
    By the way, I remember the Searchers very well, and always liked "Needles and Pins" a lot. I loved their sound!
    Glad you share my opinion of Mike's handsome looks, Stars! FP has answered your question regarding the Mike in The Moody Blues.

The Searchers certainly had a unique sound. They were the second most popular and successful band from Liverpool, after The Beatles. They performed on the New Musical Express Pollwinner's Concert in London in both 1964 and 1965. I believe "Love Potion No. 9" was their most successful record in the U.S..

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    I've NEVER minded you posting on ANY thread MF. In fact I'm delighted you seem to be getting a little more Glenn time (or is it Mike Time?).

I'm actually watching Jane Eyre on DVD. A dramatisation of what was my favourite book as a teenager and young adult.
    Awww, you're so sweet, GA. I'm glad to be getting more Glenn time, as well as Mike time! And then there's John Lennon , Paul McCartney , George Harrison , Ringo Starr ...

I've never read Jane Eyre, but I'm curious - how does the DVD dramatisation compare with the book?

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    You're thinking of Mike Pinder, who was the Moody Blues' first keyboards player.
    Thanks for this information, FP. I don't know much about The Moody Blues, and I don't know them as individuals, but I do know that "Nights In White Satin" is one of the most beautiful and sweeping ballads I've ever heard. I'd love to perform it in our band one day.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Frey View Post
    Glad you like the videos and eye-candy, TBF! Your thoughts are interesting. I don't recall "Sweets For My Sweet" being recorded in the '70s, but I do know that Smokie covered "Needles And Pins" during that decade. Is that perhaps the record you're thinking of?
    I couldn't take it any more---went down and found the crate of 45's and guess what ---I FOUND IT!!!! It was Sweets For My Sweet by The Sweet Inspirations on Atlantic record. The B side is a song called Get A Little Order.

I found this online http://www.answers.com/topic/sweets-for-my-sweet
    and here's what wiki has to say about them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sweet_Inspirations. According to wiki--they did Sweets For My Sweet in 1969.

I knew I wasn't crazy!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

FP-thanks for letting me know it was Mike Pinder in the Moody Blues-their names are very similar, aren't they?
    MF, I do remember "Love Potion Number Nine", and it was a GIANT hit over here. What I remember most is being at slumber parties with my friends, and when we would play the record, we would act the whole thing out-"I held my nose, I closed my eyes, I took a sip"-lol. I haven't thought of that in years-we are going back to around 1964 or '65!

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    I couldn't take it any more---went down and found the crate of 45's and guess what ---I FOUND IT!!!! It was Sweets For My Sweet by The Sweet Inspirations on Atlantic record. The B side is a song called Get A Little Order.

I found this online http://www.answers.com/topic/sweets-for-my-sweet
    and here's what wiki has to say about them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sweet_Inspirations. According to wiki--they did Sweets For My Sweet in 1969.

I knew I wasn't crazy!!!
    Goodness gracious, TBF - The Sweet Inspirations of all groups! They were one of Elvis' vocal back-up groups from 1969 onwards. I don't know much about their solo albums, so this is very interesting indeed. A link between Elvis and The Searchers - I love it! Thank you for looking it up! And thanks for the links!

Quote Originally Posted by Stars View Post
    FP-thanks for letting me know it was Mike Pinder in the Moody Blues-their names are very similar, aren't they?
    MF, I do remember "Love Potion Number Nine", and it was a GIANT hit over here. What I remember most is being at slumber parties with my friends, and when we would play the record, we would act the whole thing out-"I held my nose, I closed my eyes, I took a sip"-lol. I haven't thought of that in years-we are going back to around 1964 or '65!
    I'm glad to know The Searchers had such huge success in the States! I'm sure it was fun to do the actions to the song with your friends. I'm taking you back a bit, aren't I? How I wish I was around during that time, but 1964, when they recorded the song, was a full 12 years before I was born!

White Wing - JD Souther

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--