Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: The Long Story

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: The Long Story

Ticky-just an idea---but I think after this is all over, you need to print it into a book and sell it. I can think of at least a dozen or two you will sell easily.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

We-e-e-e-e! I've never played a fiddle before!
    Last edited by Prettymaid; 10-28-2008 at 08:36 PM.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Im just glad you guys like it *G* I cant tell you how much fun I have writing it. I'll be doing some every day chore and start giggling over something I've thought of for the story. It can be pretty embarassing if Im at the grocery store of talking on the phone. *G*

PM, it's not so much the fiddle as it is the Fiddler *G* (I love the image of you as a milk maid *G* I almost gave you one of those outfits with the little dutch girl cap and wooden shoes, but I thought, nahhh *G* this is better.. LOL)

Ok Jess, sorry this has taken so long, Lets give you and Don some attention...

James pulled his attention from Sheriff Soda and looked at Jessica. "Hey Jess. What are you doing here?" James smiled genuinely at the pretty woman.
    Jessica looked tired, but smiled back. "Seems Don tied one on last night, and from what I hear, early this morning!"
    Sheriff Soda turned her attention to Jessica. "So everyone's alright, though, right?"
    "Oh yeah, no harm done, well except by Don, and only to himself. The big dope." Jessica said this with love and frustration.
    Sheriff Soda smiled "Well good. I think I will, however, go have a little talk with Stewart and maybe Fiddler too. Those to worry me sometimes."
    "I think Fiddler is helping Cathy in the barn. I saw him run off that way earlier. Im not sure where Stewart is. He was showing the new ranch hand around."
    Jessica directed Sheriff Soda to the barn.
    "Oh good! Frank hired a new guy!" James seemed genuinely pleased. He knew the ranch was a lot of work and Frank always seemed to take it all on his own shoulders. It was good he was starting to hire some dependable men.
    Jessica grinned at James. "Well, I dont know about a new hired MAN, but he hired a new hand. She's pretty smart and seems to be a hard worker."
    "She??" James was shocked.
    Jessica laughed. "yeah, I thought you might feel that way. She said Frank told her he'd give her a chance. I think Fiddler sent Stewart to break her in because he knew Stewart wouldnt pull any punches with her. They may not like each other much, but I think Fiddler respects Stewart's abilities."
    James looked down at his boots and laughed to himself. He knew to trust Fiddler and he knew he was right about Stewart. If Fiddler wanted to give a girl a chance to be a hired hand, James wasnt going to interfere.
    "I just hope Stewart has the same respect for Fiddler. I really dont want to see a war break out between those two." Sheriff Soda was still thinking about the job that brought her here.
    "If you two will excuse me, I need to go talk to Fiddler. I'll hunt down Stewart later. Jess, it's good to see you." The Sheriff smiled at the young woman. "James," Nancy's eyes glowed and her smile revealed her fondness for this man. "Will you be around later? I sure would like to catch up with you."
    James' mouth turned up and he looked at her. His smile was so real and honest, it made her heart skip a beat.
    "I'd like that Nancy." Again he kissed her hand, keeping his eyes on hers."I think I'll be keeping pretty close to home for a while." He grinned at her. She let out a long deep breath she hadnt realized she'd been keeping.
    "Okay then, I'll see you later." She nodded to the two and headed off towards the barn with only one or two glances behind her.
    James watched the Sheriff walk all the way to the barn, never once looking away till she entered the barn and was out of sight. Jessica kept her eyes on James, watching him till he looked away from the now deserted yard. She shook her head and smiled.
    "I will never understand you two."
    James gave Jess a confused, questioning look. "What do you mean?" Jess stared at the older man for a few seconds, rolled her eyes and shook her head. She turned away and walked up the steps to the front porch. She found the rocking chair nearest the front door and sat down as if she'd been on her feet for hours and let out a deep sigh.
    "men."
    James looked down at his boots and grinned to himself. He didnt know why he and Nancy had been playing these games so long. It seemed like just so much Waisted Time any more. Maybe that would have to change. He turned and followed Jessica up the steps and sat slowly in the rocking chair next to her. The two friends sat companionably in silence rocking and looking out at the late morning.
    "How's Don, by the way." James turned towards Jessica.
    Jess smiled more to herself then for reassurance to her friend. She'd been through a lot with Don. This was just a part of the ride.
    "Oh, he'll be fine. He's got one nasty hangover, but I've got the cure brewing on the stove top."
    James cringed. He was familiar with Jessica's hangover cure. Her grandmother had invented it for her grandfather who'd had a penchant for home brewed grain alcohol that came out of a neighbors still. Grandma would brew up a batch of her hangover cure which looked, smelled and had suspiciously similar characteristics to roofing tar. Grandpa would wander home in the early hours and pass out on their front porch. Grandma would come out in the morning, roll him over and pour some of this stuff down his throat. Grandpa would scream, vomit and let out a string of expletives then he'd be fine. Jessica had learned how to deal with drunks from the best. Don would be right as rain soon enough.
    There was the sound of a small explosion from the kitchen.
    "Oh good, it's done!" Jessica hopped up from the rocking chair and headed towards the kitchen.
    James smiled and waited. Time past. James looked out over the yard. A chicken came scuttling by pecking at the gravel. The horrible sound of wretching and a sting of expletives that would make a sailor blush came wafting out the front door. The screen door flew open banging hard against the clapboards. Don stood leaning with both hands on the door frame. He was wearing levi's and his sunglasses and nothing else. His pallor was still a little green, but he looked nearly human.
    "Don.." James said without looking at the man. "how ya doin?"
    Don stood uneasily in the door swaying slightly. He took a moment to make sense of the words coming out of James' mouth.
    "James..Uh, Im ok I think. yeah, better, thanks." Don made his way hand over hand to the rocking chair Jessica had vacated. He sat down gingerly and let out a deep breath. James smiled. He'd been there.
    Jessica came out the door and handed a large glass to Don. He turned his head away and cringed. She picked up his hand and put the glass in it.
    "Its just orange juice! Drink it!"
    Don made a face and sipped at the thick orange liquid. It was cold and sweet and cut through the God awful taste that seemed to be growing in his mouth. He sipped again. He picked up Jessica's hand and kissed it.
    "Thanks baby, I'd give you a proper kiss, but I think something's taken up residence in my mouth."
    James grinned out at the yard and the three friends sat and rocked and the world was quiet except for the creak of the rockers and the cluck of the chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Ticky-just an idea---but I think after this is all over, you need to print it into a book and sell it. I can think of at least a dozen or two you will sell easily.

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    Cathy was wearing overalls. They werent terribly flattering but they were practical. Cathy pulled on her hip waders too a large straw hat that hung down over her face.
    What a coincidence! That's what I'm wearing right now!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

PM, I know! can i borrow the hip waders when you're done? I have an idea...

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    A thought just crossed my mind as I was driving home from some late-night errands listening to LROOE...this book had better be packaged in a plain brown wrapper, or else there'll be a lot of 'xplaining to do if it gets picked up and read by the wrong parties...if you get my drift!

Whadaya mean? I just sent copies to Glenn, Don, Tim and Joe with all the addresses and phone numbers of everyone I could find *G* I thought you all might appreciate it *G* I KNOW they're going to LOVE it! *G*

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    Whadaya mean? I just sent copies to Glenn, Don, Tim and Joe with all the addresses and phone numbers of everyone I could find *G* I thought you all might appreciate it *G* I KNOW they're going to LOVE it! *G*
    Timmy---Please call before 4:30 in the afternoon when Larry walks thru the door!
    He sings it high, he plays it low