Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Other Artists

Default Re: Other Artists

I think that would be a good idea, although you guys won't have any problems with us, we will enjoy ourselves in the basement, won't we Rhonda? Plenty enough Joe and Don and Glenn and Timothy.
    Last edited by Mrs Henley; 10-11-2008 at 04:40 PM.
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

Although I am not an avid folk music follower, there are several venues in my area that host well-known and not-so-well-known artists of this genre. A couple of weekends ago, a young female singer-songwriter named Lindsay Mac caught my attention when she opened up at a sold-out show by Poco--which was part of a local concert series known as "Sanctuary Concerts." The interesting thing about the Sanctuary Concerts is that they are held in a church (as the name suggests); the musicians literally play on the altar, and "sold out" is about 400 people! (You should've heard the jokes thrown around by the 3 members of Poco during their sets regarding this! The Poco players on tour currently are Rusty Young, Paul Cotton, and Jack Sundgrun...they are drumless. They played all their hits, plus some rare gems--great show!)
    Anyway, in addition to writing some lyrically fresh songs, Lindsay wowed the audience with her musicianship...she is a classically-trained cellist who now plays her cello like a guitar! What a sight and sound--amazing! She has just released her 2nd CD, a few songs of which can be heard on her website, www.lindsaymac.com. In the last year or two, she has been named an up-and-coming artist by Starbucks, the Falcon Ridge Folk Festival (apparently a famous festival), and maybe some others. Check her out if you want to see/hear something unique!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Wow, Poco in such a small venue. A church no less! Very interesting!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Lindsey's instrumental style is certainly unique, but as "fresh" as that is, it is her vocals that I like! You can definitely see her classical background on that cello! When you watch the clips, watch what she is doing with her left hand on the neck. She is all over the place with it! You would have to be. Sort of like playing BASS as a solo instrument.

Now with all that noted....one other thing. I wouldn't want to meet up with her in an alley fight unless she was on MY side! She has to be in pretty darn good shape to handle strapping that cello on and standing up for a performance of any length!

But her vocals::::::::::such an erie minor timber to her voice. I love it!

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Wow, Poco in such a small venue. A church no less! Very interesting!
    I forgot to mention something else they do in this concert setting. Lindsay did a 45 minute set, then Poco did the first of their sets, then they break for 20-30 minutes in the church cafeteria for...get this...coffee, apple juice, cookies, and cake! (Included in the $25 ticket price...) The artists' CDs, Tshirts, etc are all for sale at that time. After the 2nd Poco set, they have a Meet & Greet in the church cafeteria with all the artists for as long as it takes for them to meet you, and sign whatever you bring for them. I saw someone with a very early Poco album, where Timmy looked about 12 yrs old!
    Anyway, when I got to the table and told Rusty Young my name was Eva, he said, "I had an old girlfiend named Eva. Then she went ahead and left me to marry Kenny Loggins...go figure!!" lol (Another HSG one, if you ask me!)
    Apparently, the band must have been served the same refreshments during their break (no liqour license in the church, I guess), because the banter on stage during the 2nd set had a lot to do with taking it easy with the apple juice/designated driver/knowing they've hit senior citizenship when their refreshments hit rock-bottom status such as "cookies and milk!" Too funny!
    Last edited by eaglesvet; 10-16-2008 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Lindsey's instrumental style is certainly unique, but as "fresh" as that is, it is her vocals that I like! You can definitely see her classical background on that cello! When you watch the clips, watch what she is doing with her left hand on the neck. She is all over the place with it! You would have to be. Sort of like playing BASS as a solo instrument.

Now with all that noted....one other thing. I wouldn't want to meet up with her in an alley fight unless she was on MY side! She has to be in pretty darn good shape to handle strapping that cello on and standing up for a performance of any length!

But her vocals::::::::::such an erie minor timber to her voice. I love it!
    Her vocals were tremendous, perfectly suited for her song lyrics and style. I really loved the song Seven Stones. The cello had such a unique sound, I just couldn't believe what I was hearing and seeing. I think she has a great chance to make it big. And yes, she was in great shape!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

She does have a beautiful voice. It and her style reminds me a bit of Jewel and Sarah MacLaughlin.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    She does have a beautiful voice. It and her style reminds me a bit of Jewel and Sarah MacLaughlin.
    Ahhhhh, Jewel.......she is VERY special!

MikeA

Last year I saw Karla Bonoff in the same setting--one of the best concerts I've ever seen. She's one of my favorite artists ever, and has been for a long time (not quite as long as the Eagles...but I'd say 1980 or so.) The collection of songs that she's written is incredible, and to hear her perform them in such an intimate setting was wonderful.

There are not many female Rockers I'd go out of my way to see. In fact, there are not that many to choose from!

Jewel, I've already mentioned.

Dilana....odd looking lady but man can she wail
    Janis....another odd lady, but no one can put across the blues like Joplin
    Wilson Sisters....they had it together and could do Led Zep as good a the Zep!
    Bonnie Raitt....she did her own thing
    Linda Ronstadt...pioneer singer songwriter
    Maria Muldaur...vastly underrated sing songwriter

Honorable mention to Sheryl Crow, Grace Slick, Mama Cass Elliot and Carly Simon but they are not for me in the same category as the ones above.

MikeA