Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles books

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles books

I want to post something that isn't about the Eagles, although the same book has interviews with Glenn Frey and Don Henley from the late 80s. The book is "On the Record" by Joe Smith - the same Joe Smith who headed Elektra in the late-70s and sent the band a rhyming dictionary. Smith interviewed lots of people he knew in the industry and this interview with Chris Wright who managed several 70s British acts resonated.
    Ten Years After, which I did deal with, was a nightmare. I had a vested interest in keeping Ten Years After together, and if it were not for my emotional commitment to Ten Years After making it, they would have broken up before they ever made it.

The things they went through, the fights, were outrageous. It was ridiculous. They did a number called "Good Morning, Little Schoolgirl," an old blues number. The keyboard payer dropped out, and the drummer dropped out completely, although he might have done just a little high-hat to keep the rhythm going. But the guitarist, Alvin Lee, and the bass player, Leo Lyons, would stand next to each other and fight, making these noises at each other in front of 20,000 people. It gets worse. They would also throw bottles at each othere. There was many a night I did not think we were going to get through the gig. The minute I stopped managing them, it was over. That quickly. I suppose deep down inside all groups are a little difficult to manage.
    Here is Irving Azoff from the same book.
    The Eagles were breaking up from the day I met them. The first day I met them, in Kansas City, Missouri, we were driving to Springfield, and Bernie and I were feuding. There was talk of breakup on that tour. At the end of every tour they broke up. So there is no date as to an actual breakup. One day they just kind of drifted into a divorce. I still believe that someday they'll collaborated once again. Many other bands have come back for reunion shot after reunion shot. They take the money and run. Glenn and Don don't do that. That should tell you something about their integrity.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 07-14-2015 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I want to post something that isn't about the Eagles, although the same book has interviews with Glenn Frey and Don Henley from the late 80s. The book is "On the Record" by Joe Smith - the same Joe Smith who headed Elektra in the late-70s and sent the band a rhyming dictionary. Smith interviewed lots of people he knew in the industry and this interview with Chris Wright who managed several 70s British acts resonated.

Here is Irving Azoff from the same book.
    Wow, and he's still their "Satan"? I suppose Irv doesn't love the money....

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Incidentally, why did Joe Smith give the band a rhyming dictionary? Was he just being droll or was it a critique of their songwriting?

Stuck on the Border

Probably both being droll and criticising the speed of their songwriting. This was during the recording of The Long Run album.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for posting those quotes, UTW; they give us a different perspective from other stuff you may read on the internet for sure.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Well, my local library does have the Marc Elliot book, but it's checked out. I'll have a hold placed on it, so that I'll be the next person to check the book out.

I haven't had a chance to look for the other books at the library yet.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I hadn't planned on buying the Eagles FAQ book but am now enjoying the Beach Boys FAQ so much that it's got me curious about the Andrew Vaughn tome.

The "Funk #49: Guitar Talk" chapter is that, I hope, info on who plays which solos? That would be very helpful.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Incidentally, why did Joe Smith give the band a rhyming dictionary? Was he just being droll or was it a critique of their songwriting?
    After the tumultuous success of Hotel California, which made everybody tonnes of money, the record company were expecting a similar injection of Eagles cash from a follow up album in 1978. When the album didn't materialise and The Long Run sessions dragged on and on, and deadlines came and went, the rhyming dictionary was Joe Smith's little token of encouragement for get the band to finish the next Eagles album and get the cash rolling in again.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue
    The "Funk #49: Guitar Talk" chapter is that, I hope, info on who plays which solos? That would be very helpful.
    Funk #49 is a pre-Eagles, The James Gang track. I'm surprised it's featured in an Eagles book, although they have been performing it live, since Joe joined the band in the mid 70s.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Funk #49 is a pre-Eagles, The James Gang track. I'm surprised it's featured in an Eagles book, although they have been performing it live, since Joe joined the band in the mid 70s.
    The FAQ book covers a lot more than just the band, so it probably covers at least Joe's part in The James Gang. Nearly all the chapter titles are plays on song or album titles. For example, there's "The Player You Get: Hey Joe Walsh". There are even a couple of borrowed titles like "London Calling" and "The Long and Winding Road".

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

So none of us have read the faq book yet? I can get it for less than $10 on Amazon new(including shipping), so I'll probably bite the bullet a week from Monday and buy it along with the hooker book. (I've told my mom to be prepared for packages coming in sometime around the second week of August).
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time