Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles books

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Eagles books

All I can tell you is I checked the copy of Bernie's father's obituary and he had a Catholic burial. So, Bernie would be a Christian if you presume he was raised Catholic and never converted to a non-Christian religion.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Thank you, Dreamer. It looks like the album "Ever Call Ready" consisted mainly of traditional bluegrass and gospel songs. It's not unusual for rootsy bands to have some of those songs in their repertoire, regardless of their religious affiliation or lack thereof.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/ever-c...y-mw0000474316

Stuck on the Border

From the Book Club thread
    Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Irving Azoff and the Eagles get a lot of mentions in "The Mansion on the Hill: Dylan, Young, Geffen, Springsteen and the Head-on Collision of Rock and Commerce," by Fred Goodman. Has anyone here read that? If the library has it, I may check it out - if only to pick out the references to our guys. I'm sure the author rakes them over the coals for their alleged greed.
    I've found my copy of the book and this is the closest the author gets:
    Among his clients Geffen's closest personal relationships were with Mitchell - with whom he shared a house - and Jackson Browne, His professional match, however, would prove to be the Eagles. Like all great managers, Geffen was as creative in his own sphere as any of his artists were in theirs. The Eagles, conversely, took their business as seriously as they took their music, and they were the only clients whose greed and ambition matched his own.
    Some more extraccts:
    "Glenn and I were on the same team," says Henley. "It was he and I against everybody else. We felt like it was our group. Glenn and I both had pretty stong work ethics; we're both pretty anal about rehearsal. We rehearsed a lot."
    The following spring, Asylum spent $125,000 of Atlantic's money to record the groups debut album. The Eagles, at Olympic Studions in London. But Geffen faced an uphill battle with Atlantic which was not enthisiastic about the band.

"At that point, David knew very little about the record business," says Paul Ahern, Asylums first director of promotion. "However, there's one thing you can never argue about: David beat the shit out of Atlantic with the Eagles. David would come out of a meeting with all the staff and say the Eagles were going to be bigger than Crosby, Stills and Nash. He was in there fighting for them. And the Atlantic people would say to me 'What is he, kidding? The Eagles are going to be bigger than Crosby, Stills and Nash?' There was resistance, and he did go the distance."
    "It's my assumption that David Geffen called in a lot of favors in seventy-two for 'Doctor My Eyes' and 'Take It Easy,'" says Frey.
    NB: The cost of the album given above is at least ten times the figure I've seen elsewhere and seems unlikely given it was recorded in 2-3 weeks.

Great information - thank you for taking the time to do that, UTW. It sounds like my kinda book! I don't know why I love those nerdy "inside the music business" books. I must be a frustrated mogul.

Fascinating remark by Henley regarding his and Frey's work ethic (implying the other members were less industrious perhaps, or at least had to be led - according to DH anyway).
    Last edited by NightMistBlue; 07-06-2015 at 09:45 AM.

Stuck on the Border

There's a radio interview with Bernie from 2103 (you'll find a link on one of his threads) in which he pretty much confirms that Glenn and Don lived the band 24/7 which is why they were so productive whereas he took time to go to the beach and be with friends and Randy went home to his family.

I'm a fellow nerd as I like to read the business stuff. You can't understand the decisions if you don't know the environment.

The book describes the coming and goings of Eagles managers and that is interesting reading. It seems like Frey/Henley dropped John Hartmann in it but he doesn't hold a grudge.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Since reading Felder's book, I decided to read this thread to see what books about the Eagles are good reads.(unfortunately, I'm broke until August, so I'll have to wait a few weeks to order anything) I'll probably get the "hooker" book because it's available for a few pennies on Amazon, and I'm extremely interested in the chapter about Glenn, .

I'll probably also try to get the Forres and Vaughn books because those seem like the overall best from what I've read in this thread. Plus, I'll enjoy staring at the photos!

ETA: I'll have to come up with an explanation for the hooker to give to my mom. I can only imagine her reaction if I told her what the book is about.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border

Let us know what explanation you come up with for the hooker book! I haven't come up with one yet.
    I recommend the Marc Eliot book if you want information but maybe the Ben Torres Fong one for pictures. Or "Flying High" if you want someone who gives Glenn his due, even if it's all from secondary sources. Maybe your library has some of the books.

Has anyone read the Eagles FAQ book? (I'm waiting for it to be cheaper)

ETA: After this, I had a look for the hooker book on amazon, and then realised, to my horror, that I was still logged in as my husband in the account that is used by people at work. Luckily, it's possible to edit the browsing history.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 07-13-2015 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    Since reading Felder's book...
    You're finished already? What did you think of it?

I had the hooker book on cassette. I don't even remember why I bought it (this was before I became a full-blown Eagles addict). It was kinda depressing.

P.S. I got the "Mansion on the Hill" book from the library and will ferret out all the Eagles references using the index.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I wrote a small opinion about Felder's book in its thread. I didn't want to bring up anything that's already been talked about to death over the past 8 years.

I'll check out my libraries for any of the books when I return Felder's book. That way I can decide if I think that any of the books are worth the price of a decent copy on Amazon. I think that buying the hooker book is better than checking out of a library. It just feels wrong to do that, . I'm probably not going to say anything about that book to my mom unless she asks. Alot of times, she's the one gets the mail, so that's why I'll have to try to tiptoe around her. Even though I am an adult, this kind of subject is taboo here.

Oops, UTW . I'm glad that I'm the only one with an Amazon account in thus household!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

I concur in UTW's recommendation of the Marc Eliot book. The author had Henley's cooperation for a time, if I understand correctly, and obtained some remarkably frank and personal comments.

Also, I appreciated Eliot's detailed account of Randy's pre-Eagles career as a (literally) starving musician.