Page 25 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles books

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles books

The errors in the Tom King book are minor - he's taken a story from another source and tried to simplify it but instead loses accuracy. For example, Henley originally told Cameron Crowe the story of Geffen in the sauna with Glenn, Jackson, JD and Ned Doheney but when King retells it, he puts Henley in the sauna, too.

In Mansion on the Hill by Fred Goodman, there's a good chapter on the Eagles and their management problems. The author interviewed Glenn Frey, JD Souther, Don Henley, Ned Doheney, Irving Azoff, John Hartmann, Harlan Goodman, John Boylan, Paul Ahearn and others in 1992/1993. i've seen bits of it in other books, but this is the clearest and fullest account.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    A woman I work with has a copy autographed sweetly by Mr. Henley - a friend got it for her at a local book signing. It says, "Rosemarie, I've heard you're very beautiful. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to see you." What a charmer, that Don.

Talk about smooth!!! Don could teach James Bond a thing or two.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Need I mention it was a male friend who got the autograph for Rosemarie. Don Juan was trying to help a comrade out

Stuck on the Border

Has anyone heard of "Palm Tree 13" by Camden Joy? Here's a review at goodreads:
    A western starring all of the country-rock stars of the Southern California seventies. Glenn Frey is fistfighting hero, bemoaning his drowned horse. It turns out that the whole western is only going on in the heads of the self-obsessed musicians, who have ritualistically eaten handfulls of tequila worms that they have been saving all summer. Hilarious.
    I'm guessing it's not one for fans.

That can't be for real!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

It sounds intriguing, very imaginative:
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Tree-13-Camden-Joy/dp/0970085885[/ame]

I just ordered the book Canyon of Dreams from Barnes and Noble. Amazon surprisingly was sold out. It depicts the famous people that lived in Laurel Canyon during the 70's. Henry Diltz has photography in it. The Eagles are suppose to be featured in it. It is in paperback and hardcover. I got the paperback not very expensive. Hope it's good. I'll report back.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

I received my copy this week - it's really lovely. I enjoyed all of Randy's quotes. There is at least one Henry Diltz photo, of Glenn and his ol' 55 Gladys. Henry talks about the contrast of photographing Glenn and Randy, with their differing personalities and energies: sensitive Pisces man Randy vs. outgoing, extroverted Glenn.

Stuck on the Border

Has anyone read any of Rand Bishop's books on songwriting? It seems he hung out at the Troubadour and his books include anecdotes about that time, including tales of one-upmanship from his rivalry with Glenn.

Google books allows you to read a sample from one of the books with Eagles/Frey anecdotes on pages 112-114.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Has anyone read any of Rand Bishop's books on songwriting? It seems he hung out at the Troubadour and his books include anecdotes about that time, including tales of one-upmanship from his rivalry with Glenn.

Google books allows you to read a sample from one of the books with Eagles/Frey anecdotes on pages 112-114.
    I've never heard of him, and therefore I was unaware of any rivalry with Glenn, so what he had to say didn't mean anything to me.