Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Joe Walsh Greatest Hits Survivor!

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Joe Walsh Greatest Hits Survivor!

WOW-Really? Ok all you hardcore Joe fans--explain that one to me will you? There must be something you all see in that song. Interesting!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    WOW-Really? Ok all you hardcore Joe fans--explain that one to me will you? There must be something you all see in that song. Interesting!
    I pretty much stated my reasons in post:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...&postcount=273

It's pure rock n roll not trying to make any statements, yet in it's own way, it lays out pretty much the mental state Joe was in when he wrote it. Pretty much a description of the same thing that was later repeated in "Life In The Fast Lane." It's not talking about "lost love" nor is it "protesting" the war (Viet Nam). It's just pure Joe cutting loose with some phenomenal guitar licks in a framework that allowed unlimited improvisation. It was the PERFECT song for a Power Trio to hook on during a concert that would have been hapening during the time when such songs were not played on AM radio (it was longer than 3 minutes!) Oh, he tossed in some lyrics because that was expected I think <LOL>

To me, Funk epitomizes Joe Walsh prior to his involvement with the Eagles where he willingly unshouldered the load of having to melodically carry the band by himself.

MikeA

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm not trying to speak for the hardcore Joe fans, but I'm going to take a crack at this. My guess as to why they may favor Funk #49 over Life's Been Good is because they seem to be more into the music than the lyrics of a song. Also, it seems to me that Joe fans appreciate more spontaneity and improvisation as Mike indicated. I think hardcore Joe fans seem to be polar opposites to hardcore Don fans. This is not intended as a criticism - merely an observation. Although Joe's songs tend to have great lyrics, the emphasis is always on the music. The exact opposite seems to ring true for Don's songs.

I also think that many hardcore Joe fans think the Eagles are too structured to showcase Joe's talent. I can appreciate how they feel because the one time I saw Joe solo in AC, he ripped it up. However, I am one that thinks that while the Eagles may not be conducive to maximizing Joe's creativity, they have been very good in terms of bringing an audience to him that he would not have without the band. I also think that the Eagles provide structure to Joe personally that he needs at this point in his life. Now, Joe fans, feel free to tell me I don't know what the crap I'm talking about.

And OBTW - everything I said is exactly the reason I think that Life's Been Good generally appeals more to hardcore Eagles fans. I expected it to win the Survivor game, and was actually surprised at how close some of the rounds were.
    Last edited by Ive always been a dreamer; 10-03-2008 at 12:55 PM.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Hi Dreamer and thanks for that. Im just gonna try and address a few issues that *I* have as a Joe fan (I dunno if Im HARD core- but I love his music)

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I'm not trying to speak for the hardcore Joe fans, but I'm going to take a crack at this. My guess as to why they may favor Funk #49 over Life's Been Good is because they seem to be more into the music than the lyrics of a song. Also, it seems to me that Joe fans appreciate less spontaneity and more improvisation as Mike indicated. I think hardcore Joe fans seem to be polar opposites to hardcore Don fans. This is not intended as a criticism - merely an observation. Although Joe's songs tend to have great lyrics, the emphasis is always on the music. The exact opposite seems to ring true for Don's songs.
    Joe's lyrics and Don's lyrics are different. They're both great! Sometimes Joe get very silly, but if you listen to some of his stuff, He's a poet! Don is soulful and deep, Joe is comtemplative and metaphoric (is that a word?). Both are great in their own ways but also different.

I also think that many hardcore Joe fans think the Eagles are too structured to showcase Joe's talent. I can appreciate how they feel because the one time I saw Joe solo in AC, he ripped it up. However, I am one that thinks that while the Eagles may not be conductive to maximizing Joe's creativity, they have been very good in terms of bringing an audience to him that he would not have without the band. I also think that the Eagles provide structure to Joe personally that he needs at this point in his life. Now, Joe fans, feel free to tell me I don't know what the crap I'm talking about.
    *G* you're not full of crap! It makes a lot of sense. But I think Joe and the Eagles are great for each other. Joe brings them a sense of ease, fun and playfulness that may get lost in Don's intensity. Joe has said himself that he is there to lighten the mood! Joe owes his life to The Eagles. They are why he got straight and stayed straight. As far as Joe's creativity, The Eagles call for a certain type of "Joe" song and creativity that fits within their structure, but Joe has his solo career and that with other artists he get to play with, to expand his creativity.
    I sometimes feel that hard core Eagles fans (such as we *G*) Loose the image of Joe as an incredibly talented artist in the "goofy" label. If you want to know why we prefer Funk 49 over Life's been good, this is part of it (for me anyway) also, watch him play Funk 49. He's having FUN! and he tears it up seriously! I really enjoy watching Joe play when he's having fun playing his guitar.

This is just MHO anybody out there want to add to that?

(btw Dreamer *G* Mike and I just happened to post at the same time *G* we aren't ganging up on ya!!)
    Last edited by ticky; 10-01-2008 at 06:49 PM.

I also think that the Eagles provide structure to Joe personally that he needs at this point in his life. Now, Joe fans, feel free to tell me I don't know what the crap I'm talking about.
    I disagree with NOTHING you stated IABAD (I like that abrev!) but would like to add to the quote above:

I think you are absolutely dead solid perfect in that analysis...up to a point.

From what I have been able to gather, when Joe joined the Eagles, he was approaching burnout. Burnout on carrying all the responsibilities of managing the unbelievably complex decisions that have to be conducted when working solo...or as the point guy for a band such as he was with James Gang and Barnstorm. Especially all of the pressure associated with being both the lead vocalist and the lead melodic instrumentalist.

Add to that the death of his young daughter Emma and his ensuing divorce plus the effects of all the cocaine and booze....well, you know the story I'm sure. At that time, Joe was what the Eagles wanted for the sound they were after (though they had huge reservations about bringing Joe on board at first!) and there is no doubt in my mind that the Eagles and their organized structure was EXACTLY what Joe needed. Joe himself has pretty much confirmed all of that.

But that was especially true in the 90's when they regrouped for Hell Freezes Over and the Millennium Tours. Joe was going through Rehab in AA at that time and the discipline enforced by Glenn and Don had to have played as great a part in Joe's success in getting clean and sober as his own determination. I have a copy of a legal document spelling out to a promoter everything down to the type soap each member of the band wanted. In that rider, it is very clearly stated that there was to be NO alcohol backstage. They were VERY serious about seeing Joe through that difficult time.

I do think that Joe is beyond needing that kind of discipline (not self-discipline but enforced discipline..he'll always need the self-imposed kind, we all need that kind!) I don't think that he needs to be forced to be "glued down" on stage these days. HOWEVER I sincerely believe that he simply enjoys being part of the Eagles Machine and knows his role very well and accepts it without qualms.

When JOE wants to strike out on his own or with someone else, that's when I'd like to see him do it. I can speculate about a solo Joe or a reunion with either the James Gang or Barnstarm, but I do not want to see that happen until Joe is at a point at which he wants to do that.

He would definitely NOT be as successfull today as he is had it not been for the Eagles. I seriously doubt that he'd have survived the 90's at all without them. But survival aside, the shear popularity of the Eagles bolstered Joe's popularity and Joe contributed significantly to the success of the Eagles...and he has continued to contribute.

Right now, they are a good match.

MikeA

Very interesting comments, everyone, thanks!

Congratulations to Life's Been Good for winning!!!

I'd be hard pushed to say which Joe song I wanted to win, but Walk Away has lived in my heart since I first saw the Eagles live in Dublin in 2006. Of the ones on the greatest hits album, that would have been my favourite, with RMW and LBG a close second, and the lovely HMTTN a close third. Having said that, the live version of Turn To Stone that I have on You Can't Argue With a Sick Mind is stunning, with many inluences reminiscent of Genesis, Jethro Tull, possibly even Yes and Floyd. I'd love to know a bit more about the credits and musicians on that album. I could swear it's Ian Anderson playing the flute on TTS! Then there is Joe's But Seriously Folks, with the lovely Indian Summer, Tomorrow and Over and Over. Well, all the tracks are good. Honourable mention to Time Out, with its fine backing musicians!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Quote Originally Posted by glenneaglesfan View Post
    Having said that, the live version of Turn To Stone that I have on You Can't Argue With a Sick Mind is stunning, with many inluences reminiscent of Genesis, Jethro Tull, possibly even Yes and Floyd. I'd love to know a bit more about the credits and musicians on that album.

I copied this from
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Can...th_a_Sick_Mind

• Joe Walsh: Lead Guitars, talkbox, Keyboards, vocals.
    • Don Felder: Guitars.
    • Willie Weeks: Bass guitar.
    • Jay Ferguson: Keyboards, organ, piano, synthesizer.
    • David Mason: Keyboards, organ.
    • Joe Vitale: Drums, percussion, keyboards, organ, piano, flute, vocals.
    • Andy Newmark: Drums, percussion.
    • Rocky Dzidzornu: Percussion.

Notable on "Sick Mind" is:
    "Help Me Through the Night" (Walsh) – 3:4
    Featuring Glenn Frey, Timothy B. Schmit & Don Henley on vocals.

Small wonder that those on THIS forum like HMTTN <LOL>

My favorite version of "Turn To Stone" is the second one he recorded and put on "So What". It was on "Barnstorm" first, but the version on "So What"...I don't know, it sounds "finished, polished" something. I just like the way it all came together on SW.
    Last edited by MikeA; 10-02-2008 at 07:42 AM.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

This is all very interesting to read and hear everyones insight as to why Joe has been so successful with and without the Eagles. Mike that is very interesting about the rider--would love to see that posted if possible, that would be good reading. I think it is great how Joe has "cleaned up" and how everyone was and has been so supportive of him. He truly is a great talent.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    would love to see that posted if possible, that would be good reading.

Well, this is the only page that I have scanned in. One of these days I'll pull it out and scan the entire document. Note the last entry in the contents.

MikeA

Wow, Mike, thanks for that! That's exactly what I wanted. So it's Joe Vitale on flute. He's a very talented guy. I must try and get hold of his book that Soda told us about. And I hadn't realised about the backing vocals on HMTTN either. Must give i another listen tomorrow (it's in the car at the moment).
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    I copied this from
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Can...th_a_Sick_Mind

• Joe Walsh: Lead Guitars, talkbox, Keyboards, vocals.
    • Don Felder: Guitars.
    • Willie Weeks: Bass guitar.
    • Jay Ferguson: Keyboards, organ, piano, synthesizer.
    • David Mason: Keyboards, organ.
    • Joe Vitale: Drums, percussion, keyboards, organ, piano, flute, vocals.
    • Andy Newmark: Drums, percussion.
    • Rocky Dzidzornu: Percussion.
    Notable on "Sick Mind" is:
    "Help Me Through the Night" (Walsh) – 3:4
    Featuring Glenn Frey, Timothy B. Schmit & Don Henley on vocals.

Small wonder that those on THIS forum like HMTTN <LOL>

My favorite version of "Turn To Stone" is the second one he recorded and put on "So What". It was on "Barnstorm" first, but the version on "So What"...I don't know, it sounds "finished, polished" something. I just like the way it all came together on SW.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...