Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: JD Souther

Default Re: JD Souther

Thanks, I'm definitely going to try to catch that!

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Hey ya'll, Im home and Im PUMPED! MORE MORE MORE!! It's late tonight and I need time to collect all my recollections (does that make sense??) I'll just say this. JD Is a Sweetheart and a really nice man and SMELLS GREAT!! *G* The Music was wonderful, I have an autographed Album (Vinyl spankyouverymuch) and poster and a few stories about Glenn and Jackson Browne! Ok, whew.. more tomorrow
    Gnite

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

She got close enough to smell him, get autographs and stories!!! Can't wait to hear about it!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I took the max train down town at about 4:30 to meet my Cousin Susan at McCormick and Schmicks (and let me just say this about riding public transportation at commuter hours, PEOPLE REALLY NEED TO WATCH WHAT THEY EAT FOR LUNCH!! Stinky!) I got to M&S’s about 10 minutes early and grabbed us a great table. M&S’s is a beautiful old fashioned oak fish house with incredible seafood. Cliffy won tow gift certificates for it several months ago as a door prize at a seminar he went to. SO, we ate cr4ab and oysters and clams and it was GUUUD! Then Susan drove us up about 12 blocks to Lola’s. It’s a small venue upstairs from Crystal Ballroom on Burnside in Portland (Like ya’ll have any idea.. but still) I LOVE the people who work at these places. They’re all really nice but tattooed and pierced in ever visible spot available. They’d moved all the tables and COMFORTABLE seating back and moved in chairs for concert seating. Most all the best seats were taken so I searched all the available seating and, with the help of a very nice man, found two that weren’t too blocked by an HUGE pillar in the middle of the room (yeesh) and set my coat down to save the seats and walked quickly to concessions. I purchased a vinyl album (YEA JD!! Thanks for the Vinyl!!) and it came with a poster. The young lady selling the concessions was April Smith, JD’s opening act and an AMAZING voice! Wow! She just blew me away when she sang, sooo…. I bought her CD. I had a small opportunity to speak with her and the nice man who helped me find two decent seats and she’s been touring with JD through the entire tour. (I also noticed in Soda’s review she performed there as well.) I was really impressed with her.

We took our seats and April did about half a dozen songs and blew every one away with her pipes! The JD took the stage. He had his tech set up three guitars he said were specially made for him by a Gibson in Tennessee, where he currently lives. He also said this was his 4th trip to Portland in the last 10 years and he’d been thinking about moving here (YEA JD!! COME LIVE WITH US!! Or next door..) I can’t give you a precise set list as I was too busy enjoying the music! But Ill try and tell what he DID play.
    Off the new album:
    I’ll Be There at Closing Time
    Journey Down the Nile
    A Chorus of your Own
    The Border Guard

Eagles tunes:
    How Long ~ he told the story about this song, Ill tell it later.
    New Kid In Town
    Tequila Sunrise

His old stuff:
    Only the Lonely
    Talking to the Moon
    White Rhythm and Blues (I loooove this song!)
    Ill Take Care Of You
    Simple Man, Simple Dream

He did some others that I cant think of right now, but he also told some stories I want to relay.
    First off, I’m not sure if he’d had a few drinks or wasn’t feeling well or was just tired, but he forgot the lyrics 4 or 5 times and had to restart a few times. SO he stopped at one point and told THIS story.
    He was on tour with The Eagles in the 70’s (I think he said 77?) and Glenn was on stage singing Lyin’ Eyes. He said Glenn started singing “She gets up and pours herself a cold one….” Paused, kept playing…”She get’s up and pours herself a cold one…” pause…..keeps playing…. “She get’s up and pours herself a cold one…” He said finally Henley threw a drumstick at the back of his head or something. (I thought that was pretty cute)

Next he was playing a song for a lady named Patrice and her dog named Rosie who has been following him on tour all over the west coast. (I didn’t see her or the dog, but I could hear the dog) And he said that Jackson Browne, when he’s touring (especially this tour) has a set list for the first three songs then takes requests from the audience. He said he’s so great about this, he’ll play whatever they say, whether they’re his songs or not. He said at one concert someone called out Peaceful Easy Feeling, JB Shrugged and said “Okay” and played it. He said people would yell out other artists and JB’d play em, like Warren Zevon, and he played Lawyer’s, Guns and Money.
    Ok, my one really embarrassing moment was when I took out my camera. Lots of people had them and were taking pictures. I had borrowed Cliff’s and I don’t know it very well, but I had preset it so it was ready. I took it out, zoomed in and clicked, it was set for redeye reductions and FLASHED LIKE 6 TIMES!! OH man.. I was SOoooooo embarrassed. BUT I think that’s when JD saw Susan cuz he kept looking over our way all night. (see later story)

He told the story of How Long. It was written about a man who was drafted into the Vietnam war and did not want to go, but went anyway. While there, he was on leave and got drunk. He came back to the base AWOL but just a few hours, but he got into a scrap with one of the MP’s who got killed. He was then thrown in jail where he would stay for the rest of his life. JD said he did want to make it up beat though, because why dwell.

He did one encore and left the stage. I was first in line at concessions to get everything signed and April was there so she signed my CD and we chatted a little about her music and JD. It wasn’t long till a long line formed behind me so I stepped aside to wait for JD.
    Now I gotta saw my cousin Susan is pretty terrific. She and I had planned this concert a while back. She bought the tickets (her treat) and was pretty excited about doing this. She was diagnosed on Wednesday with walking pneumonia and is currently on antibiotics, but refused to stay home. She left her 10 yr old daughter home alone for the first time to come to the concert (neighbors were checking in on her so she wasn’t in any danger). So Susan would periodically excuse herself to call Jessie (her daughter at home). Susan was waiting for me in the hall way as I was waiting for JD. Pretty soon she poked her head around the corner and beckoned to me. She said JD had left. She saw him leave! SO I started down the hall and here comes JD! I asked if he’d sign my Album. He turned and smiled at Susan and said Hi. Then he said, “OH sure. I was going to do that. I forgot and was on my way home (haha)” I showed him where the concession stand was and he signed my album. We chatted about the benefits of vinyl over CDs and he said he had about 7000 vinyls and three digital turn tables. I told him I had an old one but had fixed it so it worked on my computer. We talked about tech stuff a little and I told him I’d been a fan since my best friend in 6th grade introduced me to Longbranch Pennywhistle. We laughed about that. I was going to ask about a picture, but, like I said, there was a long line of pissy looking people behind and Susan was not feeling great, SO I said thanks and good bye.

On the way out I found out WHY JD had said Hi to Susan and smiled at her. As she was in the hall waiting for me and JD passed by, Susan didn’t recognize him at first. She saw a good looking well dressed man and being a very attractive single woman she smiled and said Hi. He stopped and said Hi back. She then recognized him and got scared. LOL! He was FLIRTING with her!!!! And she said “ Thanks for the show” He smiled and she turned and WALKED AWAY!!! LOL. She wasn’t trying to be rude, she just got flustered and kind of freaked out.

SO that was our big adventure. We have decided to try and do this at least once a month. I have to start looking for next months!!

Thanks for the reviews. Despite JD's flubs, sounds like a good show! The "Lyin' Eyes" story made me laugh!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wow ticky. Thanks for such a great review. I'm glad you had a great time and got some 'face' time with J.D. After reading yours and Soda's reviews, you have both convinced me that I really need to try to make to Norfolk this Tuesday night to see him. He will be in Charlottesville on Monday night, which is actually a bit closer, but I know can't make it to that show.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Definitely worth it Dreamer! it's a great small intimate show and he's a very nice man and April Smith has a great voice (Im listening to her right now *G*)

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Cool review Ticky! Did your cousin get his number?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Fantastic review ticky! I'm so glad you got to meet JD and got his autograph. The whole night was just way too cool!

Man, I wish he would come to my area!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Ok... so now I am kicking myself in the butt for not blowing off the stupid budget deadline and going to see him when he was here on Tuesday...