Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Music Documentaries

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Music Documentaries

Dawn - If you get HBO they may repeat it. They usually do with specials like that. Like I said, I thought the first part was much better than the second part.

Ok, I'll keep an eye open for it! Thanks!

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Just a note - In case you missed the RS documentary it is on HBO tonight at 9pm EST.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I caught a new George Michael documentary on Showtime or HBO. Has anyone else seen it? He wrote and directed it, and its not that good - he should have let someone else do it. BUT, I think we took him for granted! His voice and singing....really amazing. I mean, nobody sings like that now - I can't think of anyone. I have moved him up into my top five singers along with Freddie Mercury and Eddie Vedder. Some of the music and entertainment industry luminaries who appear in the doc cried as his songs were played. I honestly never realized just how good he was.

Stuck on the Border

Hi Mary, it must have been on Showtime. Did you see the show today ? I don't get Showtime - I can't afford it. I just paid my $173.00 cable bill today. And that only includes major networks, CNN, TLC etc. The only prime channel I get is HBO. And, this is only internet and cable - not my phone.

Stuck on the Border

I watched the George Michael doc a few weeks ago. It was very stylish but lacking in good "storytelling". Despite all the big names who took part, I found those parts rather dull.

The part where George described performing in the tribute to Freddie Mercury at a time where his own lover was dying of AIDS was quite moving. Also interesting to learn he directed his anger about the death of his lover into his legal battles with Sony.

I recorded George's documentary, but I haven't had the time to watch it.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border

Hi Shun - Was that on Showtime ? Just wondering as I would watch it if I can. Thanks.

Yes. It was Showtime.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I watched the George Michael doc a few weeks ago. It was very stylish but lacking in good "storytelling". Despite all the big names who took part, I found those parts rather dull.

The part where George described performing in the tribute to Freddie Mercury at a time where his own lover was dying of AIDS was quite moving. Also interesting to learn he directed his anger about the death of his lover into his legal battles with Sony.
    UTW, totally agree about being stylish, but lacking in good storytelling. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't "better" with all of the material they had, but then I saw that he did it himself. I liked how they played the records on that turntable, and I'll watch Mark Ronson in anything! He's in the Lady Gaga doc, too!

George's voice is just amazing in that Freddie Mercury tribute - crazy good.

I hope a legit director does another documentary about him.