Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Music Documentaries

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Music Documentaries

What did everyone think of the RS documentary ? I missed the first part as I was watching Dancing With The Stars - lol. The last hour was very interesting. Boy, Annie L. looks like she has been through a winger. It is amazing the amount of drugs around then. Hard to believe they were able to get work done. I had forgotten how young Cameron was -16-18 years old ! I have to say my parents would never have let me do something like that even if I had been a boy.
    Part 2 tonight.

Border Rebel

I haven't watched last nights recording yet, but appreciate you posting again about it. I guess I didn't read closely enough to realize it is a two part show. Will be sure to record part 2 tonight! Thanks NKIT!

I thought the documentary was interesting. I missed the very beginning too b/c I forgot it was coming on. AFAIK the Eagles were mentioned only once, when Cameron Crowe was being featured. It was cool to see how it got started and the vision of defining rock music not just as art but as part of the cultural landscape.

It seemed there was a lot of use of outside non-RS footage to explain current events at that time, like the Patty Hearst kidnapping; but the actual RS write-up was not discussed much.

And where did they get the video of all the groupie stuff? Did that come from the magazine?

I look forward to seeing Part 2 but I have a feeling it’s going to be kind of dry with the magazine settled in its new digs in NYC and going all yuppie-ish.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Delilah - I wondered where they got that footage from too. I'm not sure if it was general file footage or RS footage. It was hard to tell.
    Wonder if they will talk/show anything about the baseball game with the Eagles ?

Border Rebel

I just finished watching part 1. I liked the beginning of it with the old footage of Monterey with Joplin, Hendricks. etc. I really enjoyed the parts about Tina Turner and John Lennon too. I thought the political part toward the middle with Hunter Thompson kind of dragged on. I was familiar with the Patty Hearst story, but not about the RS writer and how they were going to break a story about it all when she was caught.

I'm with you Delilah on wondering where some of the footage came from. It seems in all documentaries they just call up someone and say, "Hey, we need some footage of naked hippies!"

The Eagles were mentioned again briefly near the end when punk music was being discussed. The RS writer was discussing how at the time, so much of the music that was being played was either disco or groups like the Eagles or Linda Ronstadt who were becoming boring.

Quote Originally Posted by My My View Post
    The Eagles were mentioned again briefly near the end when punk music was being discussed. The RS writer was discussing how at the time, so much of the music that was being played was either disco or groups like the Eagles or Linda Ronstadt who were becoming boring.
    Oh ok thanks, My My. As you can see I wasn’t paying as close attention as I should have. I blame my husband who kept walking in and out of the room distracting me.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Rebel

LOL, Delilah! Blaming the hubby is my usual MO too!

Stuck on the Border

I have to say I found the second part kind of boring and changed the channel. It was like watching the news. I thought part one was better.

Border Rebel

I agree NKIT. I fast forwarded some of it myself.

Darn, I haven't seen it, sure wish I had.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016