Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Beach Boys

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Re: Beach Boys

I loved "Love & Mercy" and thought the cast did a great job, especially Paul Dano and John Cusack. I wasn't too familiar with what really happened so I was judging it more by the acting. Also fun little discovery yesterday for me as I finished watching Netflix's great new comedy "Atypical" and the actor who plays the daughter Casey's sweet, dorky boyfriend Evan, Graham Rogers, played Al Jardine in the movie. So that's why I knew him. LOL
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    My beef with the "Love & Mercy" film is that it very much downplays the role that Brian's brother Carl and their mom Audree played in getting Dr. Landy out of Brian's life. Melinda was the producer of the film, so of course she's made out to be a saint and Brian's savior. Some artistic license there, methinks.

Austin, I think you're selling the other Beach Boys' contributions a bit short! No one can match their heavenly vocals. Compare "Can't Wait Too Long" from Lucky Old Sun to the BB's released in 1990 as a bonus track on the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey compilation, originally recorded in 1966-67.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKhb-BJDJT4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIc-39ewcGk

Also compare the Beach Boys' "Our Prayer" with the version done by Brian's band. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqXibjCZy5Y
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS3LNn7HGyE
    Wasn't my intention to sell them short.

I was mostly referring to songwriting genius, which to me Brian stood above everybody in that, on Pet Sounds alone. I'm more in the Brian camp than Mike camp. I think Mike is an @ss lol. In terms of contributions, Mike didn't contribute enough to be worthy of carrying the band on it's own. I'd go see the guys with out him before I would see his band without Brian or Al.

Their vocal harmonies as a band cannot be denied and Carl and Al especially including the songs where they are lead.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Cool! Mike Love is an arse, no denying that. His wife must be a saint to put up with him. But if you've ever heard the original lyrics to "Good Vibrations" - written by Tony Asher I believe, until Love stepped in and re-wrote them - I think you'd be quietly grateful for Mike's contributions.

I saw the Beach Boys on their big reunion tour in 2012. Have to admit that Mike Love is a good front man, he keeps everyone laughing.

Cool! Mike Love is an arse, no denying that. His wife must be a saint to put up with him. But if you've ever heard the original lyrics to "Good Vibrations" - written by Tony Asher I believe, until Love stepped in and re-wrote them - I think you'd be quietly grateful for Mike's contributions.

I saw the Beach Boys on their big reunion tour in 2012. Have to admit that Mike Love is a good front man, he keeps everyone laughing.
    Oh I think he's talented to be sure, I just don't think he's to the level of talent that allows him to act the way he does. Maybe it's because I'm a diehard Brian fan but to me he's just crazy. LOL. I think he's a good frontman, but a lot of great frontmen can be a bit full of themselves. Hahaha. They don't call it Lead Singer Disease (LSD) for nothing!

Good Vibrations is a great example though of his songwriting ability. Much better than "Fun, Fun, Fun"... I prefer the later BB stuff, less of the surfing lyrics over a Chuck Berry rhythm type of thing...more inventive, more original.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    @WalshFan88

Have you heard Brian Wilson's solo album 'Lucky Old Sun'. Others seem to disagree, but I think it is his best solo album. The whole thing just seems to work. For me, at least.

Here's a song off it. However, it's one of the more rock-and-roll ones, but it's on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD4GUErAEM8

If you like the Smile era BB more, then you might like the album BW did with Van Dyke Parks, 'Orange Crate Art'. More challenging and it took me a bit of time to get into it, but now I have I think it's a good album. The title track is a good indication of what the album is like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qbQcmK72bo

Apologies if you didn't want these unsolicited recommendations.
    I will check them out.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

This is amazing!

----------------

Dec 8, 2017

"The Beach Boys unearthed more archival material, including dozens of previously unreleased songs, with their two new retrospective sets, 1967 – Sunshine Tomorrow 2: The Studio Sessions and Live Sunshine – 1967. The digital audio collections, available to purchase or stream now, follow the June-issued double-LP, 1967 – Sunshine Tomorrow.

All three of the releases document the group's pivotal post-Pet Sounds period – including sessions for Smiley Smile and Wild Honey, the two 1967 albums they recorded after shelving the famously ambitious SMiLE LP. 1967 – Sunshine Tomorrow 2: The Studio Sessions includes 29 studio session recordings, and Live Sunshine – 1967 features 109 live recordings, most of which are previously unreleased.

Highlights from the Studio Sessions set include an a cappella version of "Heroes and Villains," the previously unreleased "Tune L" and outtake "Good News." The live set includes recordings from Hawaii, Detroit, Washington D.C.; White Plains, New York; Pittsburgh and Boston.

The Beach Boys oversaw the creative process for all three collections, which Mark Linett and Alan Boyd co-produced. 1967 – Sunshine Tomorrow included Linett and Boyd's first-ever stereo mix of Wild Honey; the previously unreleased "live" album Lei'd in Hawaii, studio recordings from the Wild Honey and Smiley Smile sessions and concert recordings spanning 1967 to 1970."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...tracks-w513652

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

The Beach Boys: 1967 – Sunshine Tomorrow 2: The Studio Sessions Track List

All tracks previously unreleased

1. "Heroes And Villains" - A Cappella
    2. "Vegetables" - Track And Background Vocals
    3. "She's Going Bald" - Track And Background Vocals
    4. "Little Pad" - A Cappella
    5. "With Me Tonight" - Session Highlight
    6. "Wind Chimes" - Track And Background Vocals
    7. "Gettin’ Hungry" - Track And Background Vocals
    8. "Whistle In" - Track And Background Vocals
    9. "Aren't You Glad - Stereo Single Mix
    10. "I Was Made To Love Her" - Track And Background Vocals
    11. "Country Air" - Track And Background Vocals
    12. "Darlin’" - Track And Background Vocals
    13. "I'd Love Just Once To See You" - Track And Background Vocals
    14. "Here Comes The Night" - A Cappella
    15. "Let The Wind Blow" - A Cappella
    16. "How She Boogalooed It" - Track And Stereo Last Verse
    17. "Lonely Days" - Session Highlight And Track
    18. "Time To Get Alone" - Backing Track
    19. "Cool Cool Water" - Alternate Mix
    20. "Can't Wait Too Long" - Alternative Mix With Tag
    21. "Tune L - Session" - Unreleased
    22. "Good News" - Outtake
    23. "Surfin' - Lei'd In Hawaii / Studio Backing Track
    24. "Heroes And Villains" - Lei'd In Hawaii / Studio Version
    25. "With A Little Help From My Friends" - Session Highlight And Track With Background Vocals
    26. "Barbara Ann" - Lei'd In Hawaii / Studio Backing Track
    27. "California Girls" - Lei'd In Hawaii / Studio Stereo Mix
    28. "God Only Knows - Lei'd In Hawaii / Studio Stereo Mix
    29. "Surfer Girl" - Lei'd In Hawaii / Studio Stereo Mix - Alternate Take

I saw them too in California. Loved the show and it is true, Mike Love is a very good front man. The tribute to Dennis and Carl had me in tears.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Some "new" tracks are available on streaming services. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...tracks-w513652

Some "new" tracks are available on streaming services. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...tracks-w513652
    Awesome hope they are still streaming, been crazy busy. Did you get a chance to check any out? If so, what do you think?