Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Documentaries

Default Re: Music Documentaries

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Coincidentally, "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" shuffled onto my iPod yesterday and I decided to find a live performance on YouTube. The one I found was from The Last Waltz and I must have replayed it half a dozen times. Levon Helm was absolutely amazing. I want to see the whole thing now!
    Ain't In It For My Health: Levon Helm. Just another one you might like. Available on Netflix.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I watched a fantastic one on PBS last night about the "Hamilton" musical called "Hamilton's America". It followed Lin Manuel Miranda and his journey of how he created the musical and I'm even more impressed with him than I already was. He put everything he had into this show and made it the success it is. It's amazing how he blended the history and created all these songs from different genres to tell Alexander Hamilton's story and how he helped create the US government. At the same time they told the real history of Hamilton, Aaron Burr, George Washington, and all the other real life characters in the play and took the cast to the actual places in New York and Virginia where the events took place. It was such a great doc and hopefully one day I'll get to see the musical in person.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    The VH1 episode of Behind the Music dedicated to Fleetwood Mac was absolutely fascinating. Really, any factually accurate documentary about that band is compelling because they're a band full of drama - not boring drama like fighting over money but romantic angst and heartbreak, angst that lasts YEARS, which is a lot more interesting!
    Soda, have you seen the Behind the Music episode for Lindsey Buckingham? I found it to be very informative. It used to be up on YouTube, but I think it got taken down. I think there may also be one about Stevie Nicks.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    I watched a fantastic one on PBS last night about the "Hamilton" musical called "Hamilton's America". It followed Lin Manuel Miranda and his journey of how he created the musical and I'm even more impressed with him than I already was. He put everything he had into this show and made it the success it is. It's amazing how he blended the history and created all these songs from different genres to tell Alexander Hamilton's story and how he helped create the US government. At the same time they told the real history of Hamilton, Aaron Burr, George Washington, and all the other real life characters in the play and took the cast to the actual places in New York and Virginia where the events took place. It was such a great doc and hopefully one day I'll get to see the musical in person.
    buff, I, too, saw part of that last night. It was great and I was enjoying myself very much- until the (almost new) water heater broke and flooded the utility room. Then I spent the evening with the plumber, instead. Now, today another plumber.

I'm just grateful for plumbers today.

I guess I'll catch the Hamilton doc in its entirety another time. Lol...

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I'm so sorry about that LuvTim. Hope it's fixed soon. Knowing PBS it should be on again soon and on their site.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    I'm so sorry about that LuvTim. Hope it's fixed soon. Knowing PBS it should be on again soon and on their site.
    Thanks, buff. You're sweet.

Yes, new one installed today.

I'll look for the doc on the PBS site.

I watched Hamilton's America on PBS last night, too, and enjoyed it very much. Amazing story.

Sorry about your water heater, LT. Mine is in a closet with the washer/dryer in the middle of the first floor of my house and I spend an unhealthy amount of time worrying about just what happened to you. Glad to hear you're back underway with a new one. I hope you get a chance to catch the show ... it really was good.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I'm glad that you were able to get a new water heater installed, LT. It stinks that your old one busted. The water heater in my home is inside my closet, which is where I have to store my vinyl records. I hope it never busts.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Thanks, everyone, for your good thoughts!

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    Soda, have you seen the Behind the Music episode for Lindsey Buckingham?
    I'm not Soda, but I need to see that episode!

Shoot. There's also a Gene Clark doc, The Byrd Who Flew Alone, from a couple years ago that I still haven't seen. It sounds kinda grim. I guess that's unavoidable. The last few years of his life were some very rough sledding, so to speak.
    Last edited by NightMistBlue; 10-31-2016 at 02:58 PM.