Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles

Default Re: The Beatles

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Beatles: Grew up on them in the 60's. They defined the music and culture of that era. They pretty much unlocked the fetters holding the kids in check and gave the adults something to unite in hatred of <LOL>

I've heard it said that Harrison "invented" the guitar lead!

I think most people would pick Sgt Peppers as their favorite album but for me, it was always "Abby Road". I remember literally wearing the gooves off of my first Abby Road vinyl. Then bought another and recorded it to reel to reel tape and never played the vinyl other to re-record it if the tape became unplayable because of rewinds or something.

The only thing I'd change in Austin's list of all time greatest rock bands would be to toss Led Zeppelin in ahead of the Stones. Both were deserving of the selection as one of the top three but I liked Zep's music and contributions to the industry more.
    Funny you mention Abbey Road - its my favorite Beatles album as well!

My top 5 favorite Bands goes like this. Eagles - Stones - Beatles - Led Zeppelin - AC/DC or Aerosmith. For my 5th band I'm constantly trying to decide if I like Aerosmith or AC/DC better. I really love both band's music so it's a hard choice.

The Stones is kind of funny for me, I'm a huge Keith Richards/Mick Taylor fan but there are times where I'm not such a Mick Jagger fan. I really love the 70s stuff (Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street, Ya Ya's Live, etc). My favorite album of theirs is Exile. Just a great album.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

I'm glad this has been revived. I could talk about the Beatles all the time. Every time I listen to them I get more & more out of them.

Although Revolver is my favourite Beatles album & also my favourite album of all time I'm finally starting to get the whole Sgt Pepper 'mystique'. One of the reasons why it's great is because it is so English. People always say the Kinks & the Who wrote better songs about England but the Beatles did too (don't forget that the amazing single Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever is from this period & it is as English as you can get).

Examples: the whole brass band thing of Sgt Pepper itself with Billy Shears (Ringo) - you can just picture the crowd maybe at one of the south coast seaside resorts like Brighton watching the band.

Good Morning Good Morning & Lovely Rita - perfect descriptions of English suburban life ('it's time for tea & Meet The Wife... watching the skirts you start to flirt now you're in gear').

She's Leaving Home -while this could be anywhere, the girl is meeting a man from the motor trade & the parents' lament ('we struggled hard all our lives to get by') seems very post World War II Britain.

Fixing A Hole & Getting Better - 'mustn't grumble'!

A Day In The Life - the ultimate Beatles song & has so many references from 'nobody was really sure if he was from the House of Lords' to '4000 holes in Blackburn, Lancashire' & the Albert Hall to 'the English army had just won the war'.

As for Top 5 bands mine are Beatles/Eagles/Rolling Stones/Dire Straits/Led Zeppelin.

NEWS FLASH: The entire Beatles catalogue is finally on iTunes.
    Last edited by Freypower; 11-16-2010 at 07:13 PM.

I've said this before, but I think the fact that I grew up with The Beatles has something to do with my love for their music. As Mike has said, they are responsible for changing our culture at the time, and I was a young person eating it up! It's almost like I evolved with The Beatles. I loved their first songs as they were played on the radio, but when Rubber Soul came out everything had changed! Even the album's title was telling. And I still loved everything I heard. Revolver was even more evolved. When you read books about them in the recording studio during these albums and Sgt. Pepper, you learn that they were like children wanting to try anything and everything to see what it sounded like. You guys know me and lists, so I don't have a favorite album, or even a favorite song. For me, nobody can touch this band, simply because of the effect they had on the world at the time. It also doesn't hurt that their message was peace and love.

FP, it's funny that the lyrics you quote as being very English were at the time for me very hippy/trippy. It wasn't until I read about how these songs were written did I know that they were about real places!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

What cumulatively, Jack Nicklus, Arnold Palmer, Gary Player and Tiger Woods were to Golf, The BEATLES were to music. And they did it in ONE GENERATION where the golfers spanned four overlapping generations.

But as has been said, it wasn't just their profession the Beatles revolutionized, it was Culture itself!

I can think of little recently other than the H-Bomb and the Cold War that impacted culture as much as the Beatles! And depending on your point of view, one was as good or bad as the other!

MikeA

I also was a child of the 60s and grew up with the Beatles. Can't consider a world without their music. As a younger kid, my favorite was Paul, 'cause he was Cute. But as I matured and became a more enlightened gal, John was my favorite. What lyrics and insight. The last couple nights PBS has played some Lennon material to commemorate his 70th birthday and 30th anniversary of his death. I resent missing out on all the new things he would have had for us in the last 30 years. Tonight was a show called LennoNYC, about his and Yoko's time in America. The quote that stood out for me was Yoko's "He was an artist. Why would anyone want to kill an artist?"

My favorites are the Red, White and Blue albums, Sgt Peppers, but most favorite is Abbey Rd, I also wore the vinyl out on this one.
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5316660629_4a27633c34.jpg
    Good morning my ...
    ~Deb~

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Default The Beatles

For Beatles Fans...in the UK only I guess 10.35 ITV Tonight

I Was There When the Beatles Played the Cavern
    Documentary marking the 50th anniversary of the group's first appearance at the underground Liverpool venue. Fans and fellow musicians - including two members of John Lennon's first band the Quarrymen - recall their memories of the former fruit warehouse, where the Beatles performed nearly 300 times. Including contributions by Ken Dodd, Gerry Marsden and Willy Russell, archive footage of the band performing at the Cavern, plus a rare interview with original drummer Pete Best
    Category General Music/Ballet/Dance
    Director John Piper
    Executive Producer Mark Robinson
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

Thanks Carole. Guess I'll have to hear all about it from you!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Yes - it sounds really interesting!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Now do I sense a "boot" in the offing?

MikeA

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Sadly Mike I don't have the facilities to do all this modern techy stuff
    but I have to admit it was actually quite ggod! It'll probably appear on You Tube or a more up-to-date member will have recorded it and be able to pass it around!
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here