Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Joe Walsh Memoir

Default Re: Joe in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Listen MV, I didn't say he was sober. I said he wasn't as strung out. Comparatively between Felder and Walsh there is a NIGHT and DAY difference between their composure when they were under the influence. Walsh went above and beyond to the other guys, who DID have problems but nothing like Joe. Fact.
    I had no idea you were there. Fascinating.

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I don't remember Joe ever threatening Glenn on stage with 'Only three more songs till I kick your ass, pal.'
    HEY. Let's not pretend that Glenn didn't go into the dress room and smash a beer and Glenn was saying ALL sorts of stuff to Don on that stage too including the "three more songs" bit, he even said it himself in the doc. I'm not talking about who was nicer. I'm talking about who was more doped up than the other. Glenn deserved what Felder said. Glenn got all sensitive because Felder didn't know who Alan was and really wasn't into politics. He was the one who turned it into something. And then yes, absolutely, Don said something but let's not forget that Glenn made some snide comments too. He could be a real horses @ss to him. I feel like he was a bully and I've been there and so I'm one to stick up for the underdog. I felt like Glenn got what he had coming to him. Don't make it sound like Felder started the fight. It was Glenn who turned his "I guess" comment into something and then yes, Don absolutely did say things to him onstage. I would have too. Although I probably would have suckerpunched him in the kisser onstage and said we're done buddy, you can take this band and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Visitor View Post
    I had no idea you were there. Fascinating.
    Ok, now we are to the stage of putting words in my mouth. Lovely.

I never said I was there. I, have, watched videos and seen images (that are public domain) and Joe looked and acted way worse back in the 70s and 80s than the rest of the guys. If you don't want to admit he was worse off and might suffer more damage because of his extended substance abuse, then be my guest. See you later.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    HEY. Let's not pretend that Glenn didn't go into the dress room and smash a beer and Glenn was saying ALL sorts of stuff to Don on that stage too including the "three more songs" bit, he even said it himself in the doc. I'm not talking about who was nicer. I'm talking about who was more doped up than the other. Glenn deserved what Felder said. Glenn got all sensitive because Felder didn't know who Alan was and really wasn't into politics. He was the one who turned it into something. And then yes, absolutely, Don said something but let's not forget that Glenn made some snide comments too. He could be a real horses @ss to him. I feel like he was a bully and I've been there and so I'm one to stick up for the underdog. I felt like Glenn got what he had coming to him. Don't make it sound like Felder started the fight. It was Glenn who turned his "I guess" comment into something and then yes, Don absolutely did say things to him onstage. I would have too. Although I probably would have suckerpunched him in the kisser onstage and said we're done buddy, you can take this band and shove it where the sun don't shine.

What Glenn was upset about was Felder's complete lack of respect to their guest; his rudeness & his sulking. If he didn't want to do the show he could have been professional enough to hide it.

Of course Felder didn't punch Glenn & tell him to stick it. After all, despite everything, the Eagles were all he had. I imagine he didn't see it coming when it was Glenn who called it quits. He didn't realise his behaviour that night had been the last straw.

Defend Felder all you like, but Glenn had had enough of his ingratitude & his moods. These things work both ways. Glenn was not perfect but it was his band & he had the right to expect that members would at least attempt to be professional.

Just to clarify, it was Glenn who said the 'kick your ass' line. Did he overreact? Perhaps. According to Eliot the tension had been simmering since they did a press conference about the benefit & Felder stated openly that he wasn't interested in politics. That is the opposite of keeping a united front & the epitome of behaving like a spoilt brat (Eliot makes it clear that Felder didn't want to do benefits for the basic reason that he wouldn't be paid).

I apologise for getting off topic but I don't buy the 'Felder Is A Martyr' line for a second any more than I buy the 'Felder Didn't Get As High As The Others' line.
    Last edited by Freypower; 07-07-2016 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I apologise for getting off topic but I don't buy the 'Felder Is A Martyr' line for a second any more than I buy the 'Felder Didn't Get As High As The Others' line.
    Never said Felder wasn't as high as the others, IMO, the others are all equal but Joe took it a step further. He was more addicted and IMO in worse shape (especially in the late 70s/80s) than the other guys. Just watch old videos of him.

Default Re: Joe Walsh Memoir

I don't even understand why this is being so hotly debated when there's no way we can know. Not only were we not there, but I daresay Joe and Felder themselves probably don't know which of them has a better memory of past events!

Even if we could somehow definitively quantify who was more "messed up" at any given time, we still couldn't automatically assume that the person who was worse off would be less able to remember significant moments in his life clearly enough to write a reasonably reliable account of them.

Look, we can all draw our own conclusions based on videos, photos, interviews, life experiences, etc; we can decide for ourselves what we believe about these people. We can even feel quite strongly that the picture we've drawn of them in our heads, the collage we've created from all of these little pieces we've gathered, is a realistic portrait.

What we can't do is declare that our conclusions are indisputable facts.

What we can't do is insist that everyone else must draw the same conclusions.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Very well said, Soda.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Just to clarify, it was Glenn who said the 'kick your ass' line.
    I believed that too for many years, I even checked again before attributing it to Felder in answer to the, Felder had more composure than Walsh, remark.

Since HOTE there is evidence to the contrary. I'd say the source is pretty definitive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35347075

According to Frey's account, Mr Cranston came backstage before the concert to thank the band for their efforts, but Felder responded with a less-than-enthusiastic: "You're welcome, Senator… I guess."
    It led to a huge backstage row, with beer bottles smashed against the wall. "I felt Don Felder insulted Senator Cranston under his breath, and I confronted him with it," said Frey.
    "So now we're on stage, and Felder looks back at me and says, 'Only three more songs till I kick your ass, pal.'
    "We're out there singing Best of My Love, but inside both of us are thinking, 'As soon as this is over, I'm going to kill him.'
    "That was when I knew I had to get out."

I've been searching for Walsh tidbits since the mid seventies. There was precious little until the 90s. There wasn't even a video of Life's Been good. As a consequence, most videos of Joe are of him, in the short period before HFO, drunkardly goofing around, when he was seriously ill with his addictions. His career started around 1968. Until Life's Been Good inadvertently turned him into a court Jester, he was viewed as every bit as serious as the other Eagles.

As far as I know, there aren't any videos of Felder so he could have been in a worse state than Joe but there just isn't video evidence.

I don't think "Old Videos" are sufficient evidence to judge how well someone remembers previous events.

Stuck on the Border

Not really definitive as "Best of My Love" wasn't in the setlist.

If Joe just wrote a book about the last 22, years it would be worth reading so anything else is a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Not really definitive as "Best of My Love" wasn't in the setlist.

If Joe just wrote a book about the last 22, years it would be worth reading so anything else is a bonus.
    Well said UtW. It was indeed a Frey line, not something Felder said.

And I also agree about the last 22 years. It's just been what I've seen with my experience that heavy substance abuse leads to memory impairment.