Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cool New Features

Default Cool New Features

This board has so many new features that it's going to be hard for us to find them all. I thought, when we discover something new about the board that we like, we can put it here to help others find it as well.

I'll start off, and add more as I go; you can do the same!

Enhanced, easy-to-use signature panel

Our board has always been made more colorful and interesting with the use of signatures. Now, we have a whole menu for signatures alone in our CP under "Settings and Options." You can upload a signature photo rather than using photobucket if you like; you can turn an image into a link easily; you can format your text, etc.

Ignore List

Thankfully, this board hasn't had any serious conflicts since I started the Border back in December of 2006. Still, this is a feature that can come in useful whenever you think someone's posts are never worth reading. Nothing this person posts will be visible to you once you put them on "Ignore," although you can edit it to un-ignore them if you change your mind. It too is located on the side of the CP.

On the top menu of the board, there is a link called "New Posts." That lists all the threads that you've visited which have had new posts since your last log-in. It's handy to have them all in one place, rather than having to click on different forums.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Cool New Features

Okay - here are a couple of my favorites so far -

Top button

Down at the end of each page, there is a button that will take you back to the top of the page with one click instead of having to scroll back up.

Calendar feature

I love this feature - it is uber cool. We had the birthday feature on the old board, but in addition to member birthdays, this is where the admin or moderators can put up all kinds of events and reminders. For example, we could use it to put up important news events about the band or a reminder that something important is happening on a certain date. Soda already has one up today signifying today as the official opening of the new board.
    Last edited by Ive always been a dreamer; 08-18-2008 at 01:56 PM.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

The Admin Ability to Move Posts

Accidentally post in the wrong thread? Never fear! With this function, I can move them!

Seeing If Others Are Viewing Certain Threads and Forums

Now, if you go to the index page, you will see by a forum name "1 viewing," "2 viewing", etc. Unless the person is on "invisible" you'll also be able to see names once you click on the forum, down at the bottom under "Currently Active Users." A global version of this feature can also be accessed at the bottom of the front page. If you click on "Currently Active Users" there, it takes you to "Who's Online" where you can see what threads people are viewing regardless of forum.

This includes guests. If you post a thread, you'll also be able to see if guests are viewing it.

Whaa that's cool!
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

They are all great additions Soda. I also love the 'friends' section! Very cool!! The thing is.......over 150 friends to add!!!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I'm already enjoying it, Soda! I like the 'new posts' feature' and the 'Friends' section. Thank you, you rock!!!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border

Well, I've gone into Calendar and added the band's birthdays, but I didn't try to make them recurring events.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Okay - here are a couple of other new features that I really like about this board:

When you are replying to a post, Soda changed the default to the WYSIWYG view. However, if you want to see the tags, you can click the 'A' button in the upper right corner to change the view.

Also down at the bottom of the page, there is an Archive button that gives a really helpful view of all of the threads on the board.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Yep! That archive button is great!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP