Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The View From Behind

No longer in Southern California.We're now in Northen New York, the St. Lawrence Valley. :)

Default Re: The View From Behind

I'm a little late for the party with your post , but I have a couple of questions. I never saw the Eagles, per se. But, I did see Linda Ronstadt a couple of times at UC Riverside gym/auditorium (I'm from Riverside,BTW). I swear Glenn Frey & Don Henley were her back-up band at the time. This would be 1969-1971-ish. Does that sound about right? I was only 14 at the time.

Border Desperado

They started the Eagles in the summer of 71, so I'd say the timeframe is right for them to have been with her, right up until then.

No longer in Southern California.We're now in Northen New York, the St. Lawrence Valley. :)

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    They started the Eagles in the summer of 71, so I'd say the timeframe is right for them to have been with her, right up until then.
    Thanks. I thought so. It's all a blur to me now, but I thought it was so.
    I also have a friend who is older that I am that tells me stories of hanging out at The Troubadour & Dan Tana's with the then young & cocky Glenn, Don & Neil Young.

Banned

Cool Re: The View From Behind

Linda Ronstadt had a revolving cast of backup musicians in the early 1970s, including Glenn Frey, Don Henley, and,occasionally, Bernie Leadon.

Back in those days, she played dates at the Swing Auditorium in beautiful downtown San Bernardino (YUCK!), the Inland Empire Fairgrounds (MORE YUCK!!), and the Performing Hall at Redlands University (with The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band as opening act, as I recall), in addition to UCR.

Then there was the free concert in Taquitz Canyon in Palm Springs, an event so rowdy that the Coachella Tribe, upon whose property the concert was held, closed off the Canyon to non-tribal visitors for decades.

Dan Tana's, once the hangout of singers like Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin, was not exactly friendly to longhaired people in the early days - until they realized that those same longhaired rockers had LOTS of money.

Remember Ian Hunter, from Mott The Hoople? (A great name for a band, btw).

He almost got tossed out of Dan Tana's because of his English accent. The manager thought he was cursing up a storm, but it was just non-offensive English slang. Well, he did call someone "a bloody wanker," but, hey...

I went to The Swing quite a bit. My first concert there was Jefferson Airplane & Iron Butterfly. But UCR had a lot of concerts as well. I saw Poco on my 15th birthday, Kris Kristofferson & Rita Coolidge outdoors, Commander Cody, Jim Kweskin, and Linda a couple of times.
    I was always high, so it's a blur, but I do recall thinking how hot Linda's guitar player was.
    Those were the days.

Quote Originally Posted by MarthaJo56 View Post
    I went to The Swing quite a bit. My first concert there was Jefferson Airplane & Iron Butterfly. But UCR had a lot of concerts as well. I saw Poco on my 15th birthday, Kris Kristofferson & Rita Coolidge outdoors, Commander Cody, Jim Kweskin, and Linda a couple of times.
    I was always high, so it's a blur, but I do recall thinking how hot Linda's guitar player was.
    Those were the days.
    Both of you are so lucky! How I'd wish to see those artists in their prime! I'm only 16, and the only replacement is a bad quality bootleg

1977, 1980 are my favorite years and there is very little from those years.
    The chemistry... nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    Both of you are so lucky! How I'd wish to see those artists in their prime! I'm only 16, and the only replacement is a bad quality bootleg

1977, 1980 are my favorite years and there is very little from those years.
    There is that meme going around.."I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands". I've seen it on a t-shirt, too.
    But you might want to take it easy. I was so busy trying to be a grown -up, I missed California Jam in 1974.

Banned

Cool Re: The View From Behind

I was so busy trying to be a grown-up that I WORKED at California Jam.

Quote Originally Posted by peneumbra View Post

Quote Originally Posted by peneumbra View Post
    Not going to California Jam, getting married for the first time at 19 are two of my greatest regrets.
    Who did you work for at CJ?