Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Eagles" LP!

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: Celebration of "Eagles" LP!

It's funny that you mention this actually, today I was watching Led Zeppelin's Celebration Day for the first time (very impressed I have to say) and my mum, who isn't much of a Zeppelin fan, was in the room with me for a few songs. To my surprise she thought No Quarter was really good, whereas (less surprisingly) she wasn't so keen on Dazed And Confused. I guess I have given some thought to a 'Led Zeppelin for people who hate Led Zeppelin' playlist - mainly consisting of thoughtful acoustic songs like That's The Way, ballads like The Rain Song or the mellow instrumentals Black Mountain Side and Bron-Yr-Aur.

If we put the boot on the other foot, my sister loves Taylor Swift and although I am not a fan I must admit there are certain songs of hers which I think are pretty good, mainly the more acoustic-type songs from the Red album (I can't stand the pop hits like We Are Never Getting Back Together etc, but the likes of Treacherous and All Too Well are good songs).

Still, hmm... an Eagles CD for people who don't like the Eagles? Bitter Creek and Journey of the Sorcerer are good ones to start with I think, the former is subtly dark and is all acoustic, which is rare, while JOTS is by their longest band instrumental. Here's a few suggestions of mine with a justification for each:
    Get You In The Mood - Their earliest R&B song, and the only one (unless you count On The Border, which I think is a mix of rocker and R&B) performed by the original line up. It is less slick than a song like OOTN, as has been mentioned before it is vaguely similar in parts to certain bluesy Led Zeppelin songs.
    I Wish You Peace - Not one of my favourites, but it's not quite like anything else they did during the 1970s - it's one of the few Eagles songs that I would say is neither rock or R&B, or country rock. I think of it as being their most pure M.O.R. song from the 1970s, it's not even really soft rock IMO.
    Try And Love Again - The only 'optimistic' song on Hotel California, also the only one which I think truly has the quintessential California rock sound. I would say its appeal would be to people who dislike the more cynical approach of, say, LITFL, VOL or King Of Hollywood.
    I Can't Tell You Why - Perhaps a slightly questionable inclusion, but not immediately recognisable as an Eagles song musically or vocally if the person isn't familiar with Poco or Tim's other Eagles songs.
    The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks - Its clear humour value appeals to some, especially to those who dislike 'serious commentary' songs like LITFL or The Last Resort (I prefer Teenage Jail but I think it is less obvious that the song isn't meant to be taken too seriously).
    I Dreamed There Was No War - Like JOTS, it is an instrumental. If the person is a fan of Dire Straits and/or Mark Knopfler, or dislikes Don or Glenn's voices, then they should hear this.

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I hardly ever listen to the Eagles when my girlfriend is with me. She doesn't care for them that much, although she certainly doesn't hate them either. But I was listening to this album today, and when she heard "Take the devil", she went "what is this?". She loved the song - especially the chorus. She hardly ever mentions guitar solos, but she also really liked Glenn's solo at the end of the song.

Reminds me of an old school friend of mine who didn't like the Eagles at all, but really loved Bitter Creek when he heard it. On the KISSFAQ forum I "met" a guy who can't stand the Eagles, but loves Journey Of The Sorcerer.

I'm starting to think that we should compile a collection CD called "Eagles for the Eagles haters".
    bwahahahahaha!!! this is a great idea lol i was driving down my block blasting "Heartache Tonight" and people were looking in the car like what the hell... and thats when i turned it up even louder. they can hate.

Stuck on the Border

Feel free to start a new topic.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

While doing some research into this album, I ran across this review of the album by The Rolling Stone, from 6/22/1972. They didn't always hate the Eagles! It may be posted in a retro thread, but I think it belongs here as well.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/al...agles-19720622
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Who woulda thunk it!

And this is how I feel about this song: But I still keep going back to the song I started with. Each time I listen to "Take It Easy," it unfurls new pleasures.

https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    While doing some research into this album, I ran across this review of the album by The Rolling Stone, from 6/22/1972. They didn't always hate the Eagles! It may be posted in a retro thread, but I think it belongs here as well.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/al...agles-19720622
    I wonder who that Mandy Meisner chick was. She wasn't mentioned in HOTE.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post

I'm in need a good laugh. Thanks NMB!

And I wad gonna complain about "Glen Frey" lol
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Maybe she was in that all-female Eagles tribute act with Glenda Frey, Josephine Walsh, Bernadette Leadon and the two Donnas.

.... and not forgetting Kimmie

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Maybe she was in that all-female Eagles tribute act with Glenda Frey, Josephine Walsh, Bernadette Leadon and the two Donnas.

The mental image of the guys dressed as women that came to my mind is soo wrong.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

That would be great! Not the Eagles in drag - please gawd, no - but an all-female Eagles tribute band. I would totally go see that.