Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The sisters that introduced Glenn to JD Souther

Default The sisters that introduced Glenn to JD Souther

We've all read the articles where Glenn talks about following a girlfriend out to LA, hooking up with her, and being introduced through her to JD Souther who was dating her sister. Well, I found this article about those ladies, Joan and Alex Sliwin! Apparently the two sisters as well as a couple other girls had a band in Detroit and the Mushrooms were their backup band. Reading this article, though, Joan makes no reference to any romance with Glenn. From this, it seems like she simply knew him from Detroit, so when he came to LA she let him crash at her place before he got one of his own. She also says he was running from a draft notice - I'd never heard that before!

And then, of course, she introduced him to her sister's new boyfriend... and the rest is history. I'm betting that these girls were the "Alexandra / Joan Claudia" thanked on the Longbranch Pennywhistle album for their "Inspirationticipation."

Just found it a cool little piece of context. FYI - in the photo - Joan is the girl with the long dark hair, second from the right. The girl next to her with the long blonde hair is her sister Alex, JD's girlfriend.

~

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: The sisters that introduced Glenn to JD Souther

I've seen this article before, soda. It's interesting isn't it?

I believe Glenn has produced some of the Laura mentioned in the article's work. (Laura Creamer)

Now I need to re-watch San Diego. I've seen recent pictures of Laura, (during a late night Google fest, no doubt), and I'm thinking that she's one of the back-up singers on the SD video. During introductions, Glenn does mention that one of them is from Detroit and sang back-up with him on Ramblin' Gamblin' Man but right now I can't remember the girl's names.

Stuck on the Border

I listened to the band intros on San Diego again. The brunette backup singer's name is Laura -different last name. Could have been a previous married name, I suppose.

It is the same lady after all! When I was compiling my tour pages, I looked up all of the backing band to make sure I spelled their names right. I looked her up and found out that she at one time went by Laura Creamer-Dunville. But it looks like she might have lost Mr. Dunville, as she's back to Laura Creamer according to her official site.

~

That's an interesting find, Nancy. I didn't realise JD had actually married his girlfriend - my impression was that things had fizzled out with the sisters pretty quickly once the two guys formed their band. I can't imagine that young GF crashing at a pad with four girls could have been entirely platonic!

~~~

This way to happiness...

I was surprised by that too, Kate. Apparently it wasn't until after Longbranch Pennywhistle was recorded that the two guys started living together sans the sisters.

~

Stuck on the Border

Too bad the camera isn't on Laura when Glenn tells his "What do you call a musician without a girlfriend...homeless" joke during SD. Laura is probably nodding in agreement!

Stuck on the Border

That's very interesting.

The other backup singer in San Diego is Rosemary Butler, who did a lot of work for Jackson Browne and other country rock mafia people (it's her singing a verse on Stay).

Thanks for posting that article, Nancy. I had never read it before. It is always interesting to me to read the backstories and biographies of the people who influenced the Eagles in any way.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yeah - this is some pretty interesting stuff, even though it is fairly vague on some of the facts. I have read and even heard Glenn say on several occasions that he came to L.A. after a girlfriend. So even if Joan didn't consider Glenn to be her boyfriend, apparently he didn't agree. If I remember correctly, I don't think they dated very long after he arrived.

As far as Glenn dodging the draft - apparentedly, he did. However, from all accounts, he did it legally. The change of residence apparently was a necessary, albeit convenient loophole. I remember this being discussed on Eagleland,so I included the link.

eaglesfans.sonicdns2.net/...php?t=5210

~~~~~~

I'm just a hired hand working on the dreams I plan to try. The days go by...