Page 91 of 129 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

Thank you for that, UtW. Glenn was certainly a charmer and a gentleman. I didn't know (or maybe I had forgotten) that he did a beer commercial in the 80s.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I remembered the part about the cinnamon toast (not sure I believe it!). What a charming guy.

Should we pit Randy's beer commercial against Glenn's beer commercial?

Reading these little entries from around the web makes me smile. Thanks, guys.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stories about Glenn Frey make me smile too especially this one ...

"Billy, whoever writes the song wins." - Glenn Frey

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lBKnuPccmPI

Edited to add link to Eagles performing Glenn's mega hit song You Belong to the City with Billy on sax. OMG was Glenn on fire or what? What a blast it would have been to be front and center for that performance. Don Felder solo at the end was spot on too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=twkf5e0SEbM
    Last edited by Dawn; 03-15-2017 at 06:06 PM.

Stuck on the Border

I do enjoy that interview with Bill Bergman - I even have that quote in my signature line. He tells another good story (also on youtube) about The Who playing in his high school gym.

On the live Eagles clip, I'm sure it's Al Garth playing sax. I'm surprised at how many different sax players have played on Glenn's records considering that Al Garth was part of Glenn's touring band from 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I do enjoy that interview with Bill Bergman - I even have that quote in my signature line. He tells another good story (also on youtube) about The Who playing in his high school gym.

On the live Eagles clip, I'm sure it's Al Garth playing sax. I'm surprised at how many different sax players have played on Glenn's records considering that Al Garth was part of Glenn's touring band from 1982.
    Thanks UTW for the clarification that's the first time I've seen the live clip and I kinda wondered if that was Bill. My apologies, I wish I had double checked. I plan to check out the story about The Who playing in Bills HS gym. What a trip!

Stuck on the Border

No need to apologise - I felt slightly bad about correcting you. I find it interesting to see how often different musicians show up - there are some who played with Glenn over a thirty year period. Quite a few who played with him in the 80s moved to Nashville around the late 80s/early 90s and I wonder if that was behind Glenn's plan to record a Nashville album around 1993/94.

Stuck on the Border

Looking back through this thread, I found I'd posted a link and an extract of comments from Joe Vitale and I can't think why I didn't post the whole article. So I'm doing it now in case it gets archived.
    Legendary Canton rock drummer reflects on late Eagles co-founder
    By BJ Lisko
    CantonRep.com entertainment writer
    Canton's own Joe Vitale remembered Eagles co-founder Glenn Frey as an icon, a leader and an immense talent, but above all, a gentleman and friend.

Vitale, a veteran rock drummer, is a close-knit member of the Eagles family, having played with the group and its members in various stints. Frey, 67, died Monday of complications from rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative colitis and pneumonia, the band said on its website. He had fought the ailments for the past several weeks.

"Glenn had some health issues, but I don't think anyone realized how serious it was," Vitale said. "I don't think Glenn did even."

Vitale first met The Eagles in 1972 as a member of Barnstorm, which was led by legendary guitarist Joe Walsh.

"The Eagles were just starting out, and they actually opened for us," Vitale said. "We kind of teased them about that a little bit, but that can only go so far. They're one of America's biggest bands."

Walsh joined the Eagles in 1975, and Vitale played with Crosby Stills & Nash and the Michael Stanley Band, but the pair remained collaborative partners.

"I was still working with Joe and his solo stuff," Vitale said. "In '79, the Eagles went out to do 'The Long Run Tour,' and they needed an extra set of hands. They did quite a bit of Joe's music live, so they pulled me in. Also, I could play some stuff while (Eagles drummer) Don Henley would sing, to lighten his load."

Vitale played for two years with the band and appeared on the group's platinum-selling live record, 1980's "Eagles Live."

The Eagles broke up shortly after, and Vitale continued working with Walsh, including 1993's "Walsh/Frey Tour," which eventually led to a full-blown Eagles reunion.

"Glenn is such an icon," Vitale said. "He was one of the founding members and an amazing ideas guy. Anytime we were recording or rehearsing or doing gigs or putting set lists together, if we were stumbling, we'd always go, 'Ask Glenn,' because he always had the answer. He was really smart. He was smart in life and a smart showman."

Vitale has always remained in of contact with the Eagles and last saw the band in August.

"I went to see them and hang with them, and Glenn really included the audience," Vitale said. "He just made the audience feel welcome and really gave them a great show. That's one of the things that impressed me when I played with them. They insisted on being great live. When you're one of the leaders of a huge band like that, and 20,000 people paid a lot of money for tickets, you've got a lot of responsibility."

Vitale said he was amazed at Frey's ability to lead while also being a great communicator.

"He wanted 100 percent, but he was very patient," Vitale said.

"We'd work out drum parts together if there was an issue, and we smiled and laughed. It wasn't like school. We hung out and tried to find what worked. I never forgot that. He always understood you're dealing with people with feelings, and you have to be careful. That's what I take away from him. Learning how to deal with problems. He was just so skilled at it."

Vitale, 66, said that recent deaths in the music world including David Bowie and B.B. King, have hit close to home, but none more than Frey.

"We were very close," Vitale said. "I've known Glenn since 1972, and the Eagles are like a big family. Just like any family, when you lose a member it's sad. Glenn was a gentleman and a leader and tough. But a good family man and a gentleman."
    http://www.cantonrep.com/entertainme...-bandmate-frey

UTW, I appreciate your posting of that article. I love stories like that I have read since Glenn's passing. Probably most people haven't a clue the tremendous amount of work he did for the band outside his role as a writer and performer.
    He had the vision, determination , and drive to start them up and see them through. He had a great ear for talent, choosing other members and working out parts. He demanded the hard work and excellence necessary for a group to last. His love of the music, friendliness and warmth with an audience, and pure HEART are a few of the many things he brought that will be forever missed. IMO they never would have (or will) reach the same heights without him.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    IMO they never would have (or will) reach the same heights without him.
    I think that's very likely though all Eagles past and present are supremely talented IMHO Glenn was the match that lit the fire and kept it burning.