Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Eagles Radio Sirius Channel 30 November 17, 2017

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles Radio Sirius Channel 30 November 17, 2017

As much as I love the channel, I'm afraid it's wearing a little thin, and becoming a bit repetitive. There's only so many times you can hear other people's covers (most of which I think suck), and guest DJ spots. Of course, the same can be said of all the channels on Sirius/XM, hence why I cancelled my subscription many years ago (my dad has it in his car, which I've been driving a lot, so I tune in frequently).

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I have to agree, WW. I've heard some of the stories and songs too many times already!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Out on the Border tjrrockandrollmaster's Avatar

The Eagles channel while a great concept has already gotten repetitive with same songs. Have any Don Felder solo tracks been played? If not, it's a shame. I enjoyed the Airborne album and the songs from Heavy Metal and songs from his last album.

The Pink Floyd channel they had was pulled for some reason and they shouldn't have pulled it because since they pulled it Pink Floyd released The Endless River in 2014, David Gilmour released his album Rattle That Lock in 2015, the massive 2016 Pink Floyd Early Years Box Set which has 11-CDs (loads of unreleased material) and Roger Waters released his album Is This The Life We Really Want? in 2017 so there is plenty more to play.

Adding all 15 Floyd studio albums plus the three double live CDs, the Live at Wembley 1974 and the bonuses on Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, The Wall and The Endless River boxes and the content on the 1965-72 mammoth box set you'd have days worth of Pink Floyd to play. Plus solo works from the five members (including the live albums from David Gilmour and Roger Waters). If it was influences there'd be Miles Davis (Rick Wright was a huge fan), Bob Dylan, Pete Seeger, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix (Gilmour was a massive Hendrix fan), Jeff Beck, The Stones and even some classical music and the odd Ron Geesin tune.
    How I wish, how I wish you were here.

The three surviving Pink Floyd members (Nick Mason, Roger Waters and David Gilmour) and the Pink Floyd co-founders and key figures who have gone to their rest (Richard "Rick" Wright, "Roger Keith "Syd" Barrett and longtime manager Steve O'Rourke (who managed the band until his 2003 death, God bless them all).

John Boylan (Linda's old manager) will have a Guest DJ show tomorrow at 5:00pm Eastern/4:00pm Central.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Oh man! I'd love to hear the John Boylan show. He was also Rick Nelson's manager/producer in the late 60's. He was said to be instrumental in recommending Randy for the Stone Canyon Band as well as the Eagles.

I managed to catch John Boylan’s DJ segment today. He had an interesting playlist and referenced musicians and engineers most of whom I wasn’t familiar with (or just vaguely so); hopefully I got everything right. If I have a chance I’ll listen to the repeat later tonight at 8:00 (I think) and make any corrections.

He introduces himself and says he will be playing his 5 favorite Eagles songs plus 5 other tracks that had a great influence on him and his career and possibly on the Eagles too. These are his selections and comments about each.

1. New Kid in Town- this started out as a chorus by JD Souther and he brought it to Don and Glenn to finish it. Don had described it as a song on how you can be easily replaced when you’re at the top of the heap.

2. High Sierra by Linda Ronstadt- ever since meeting LR in 1970, he believes she has one of the greatest voices in a generation; he still gets the same sense of excitement when he hears her sing. He chose this Ronstadt song b/c
    (1) she was instrumental in the formation of the Eagles (2) it was engineered by George Masberg(?) and is one of the best pieces of recorded music he’s heard (3) it’s an expression of American roots music with background harmony vocals by Emmylou Harris and Dolly Parton

3. One of These Nights - even though the Eagles are the quintessential American country rock band, they were also influenced greatly by R&B and soul music (he mentions the Philadelphia sound). Also, this song is a really good example of an interesting guitar idea—the layering of guitar parts over time, a “wire choir.” It’s an interesting technique that takes the place of the horn section in an R&B band.

4. Respect by Aretha Franklin - records that Jerry Wexler made with Aretha Franklin had a profound influence early in his career and he listened to them intently. He mentions the Muscle Shoal rhythm section and despite some of the background politics going on while making the record, he knows that Roger Hawkins and Jimmie Johnson played on it. Don, Glenn and he used to sit and listen this and marvel at Hawkins’ playing, not to take anything away from Jimmie Johnson’s rhythm guitar and Telecaster. Written by Otis Redding.

5. Desperado - this title track from their 2nd album is one of their most enduring songs. It’s strongly influenced by the great Ray Charles. Its enigmatic lyrics can be interpreted in many different ways which is a reason for its universal appeal. Glenn’s masterful piano playing is precise and right on the money; he also praises Don’s vocals. Also, he wants to mention Jim Ed Norman’s absolutely perfect string arrangement which adds color without getting in the way.
    Last edited by Delilah; 01-15-2018 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Correct year

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Thank you, D! No mention of Randy? I'll have to get my own darn radio show and call it "It's All About Randy"

I think Boylan would have met Ronstadt in 1969

John Boylan’s playlist continued...

6. Against the Wind by Bob Seger - Glenn gave a lot of credit to Seger for helping with his career. Seger not only produced Glenn’s band’s first album but also introduced them to a record company. Glenn sang backing vocals on “Rambling, Gambling Man” and later Glenn and Don add backing vocals to this one. It’s a mid-tempo ballad that ponders the effects of fame and loss of innocence. There’s a terrific piano part by Paul(?) Harris. It’s a 1980 release.

7. Ol 55 - although the majority of Eagles songs were written by the band, they were always willing to record some that they didn’t e.g Peaceful Easy Feeling by Jack Tempchin. He chose this one b/c (1) it’s a tremendous song (2) the Eagles brought a different sensibility to it (3) Tom Waits was an enigmatic sensational singer-songwriter of that era.

8. She Belongs to Me by Bob Dylan - without question, Dylan was the most important singer-songwriter of John’s generation; he influenced everyone including the Beatles (he says something about Dylan writing material that weren’t just maudlin love songs). This is one composition he especially liked; he liked it so much he produced it for Rick Nelson and it was one of his more successful songs.* This is the original Bob Dylan version and includes the wonderful guitarist Bruce Langhorne.

9. Bluebird by Buffalo Springfield - one of the most interesting and influential rock bands was BS. The principals (Stills, Young, Furay) went on to greater glory. He chose this Stephen Stills song b/c (1) the amazing acoustic guitar sound boosted the compression, creating a glass-like and (?) quality (2) it uses a jazz technique of trading off a guitar solo or short snippets of guitar solos (3) the delightful appearance of Charlie Chin who uses a banjo effect called “frailing”

10. Long Road Out of Eden - for his last song, he chooses a brave undertaking in this current environment of 30-second soundbites and culture of instant gratification. It’s a challenging piece of work with multiple rewards for the listener. The first verse is a portrait of a soldier trying to stay alive, the second verse is about the consumption-driven life of the average American and then there’s a guitar solo. The third verse is a cautionary tale about where the human race is headed and how to avoid it. This title track is masterful.

Mr. Boylan ends by saying he enjoyed offering this little playlist and that these songs have meant a lot to him over the years and hopefully will mean something to listeners too.

*just an added note: Rick Nelson recorded this song with the Stone Canyon Band which included Randy at the time; his cover version peaked at #33 on the charts.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Thank you, D! No mention of Randy? I'll have to get my own darn radio show and call it "It's All About Randy"

I think Boylan would have met Ronstadt in 1969
    I would be calling in your radio show with plenty of requests, lol.

I thought 1970 seemed later than I remembered.

Stuck on the Border

Delilah - Many thanks for the recap of the John Boylan DJing stint. He sounds like someone who could write a great book on the music business for that period of time.

Didn't he hook up with LR in around 1969 ? I thought he produced her 1970 album.