Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 344041424344

Thread: Press and Discussion about Joe's New Album "Analog Man"

Default Re: Press and Discussion about Joe's New Album "Analog Man"

Congratulations to our Analog Man...Joe Walsh!!!

Great! I get that magazine.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I'm happy for Joe!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I was just thinking about this tonight.

How does everyone think Analog Man is holding up/what are your thoughts on it 2 years later?

I have to say that for me it hasn't held up well... To be honest I've grown to hate that signature ELO/Jeff Lynne gloss and overproduction on it. It seems to glossy for me and some of the tunes are just too cheesy. And not even typical Joe cheesy (I mean I do love songs like ILBTs! ). But there is a lot of filler IMO on this record.

My favorite song off of this is ODAAT. I really am glad he put it out there. The F1 version is great too.

I'm very happy that Joe put this out and that Marjorie helped get him on the right track, I just wish Jeff Lynne would have stayed away from it and that it was a bit harder edged rock n' roll ala his early solo records.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I tend to agree, WF. I haven't listened to the cd for a long time, and because my player is usually set on a single artist right now, I never hear the songs individually either. I get what you mean about the overproduction. I think Joe called Jeff Lynne because Marjorie suggested him, and it seems he really appreciated what Jeff did. But based on most of the songs on AM, you can tell that Joe has really changed musically. I guess that's to be expected; after all he's older and has been through a lot. I also agree with you that One Day at a Time is my favorite song on the album.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I liked the album when it came out, but I find that I don't listen to it very often & I haven't for some time. Maybe you have something there, WF & PM, as to why that is.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I was just thinking about this tonight.

How does everyone think Analog Man is holding up/what are your thoughts on it 2 years later?

I have to say that for me it hasn't held up well... To be honest I've grown to hate that signature ELO/Jeff Lynne gloss and overproduction on it. It seems to glossy for me and some of the tunes are just too cheesy. And not even typical Joe cheesy (I mean I do love songs like ILBTs! ). But there is a lot of filler IMO on this record.

My favorite song off of this is ODAAT. I really am glad he put it out there. The F1 version is great too.

I'm very happy that Joe put this out and that Marjorie helped get him on the right track, I just wish Jeff Lynne would have stayed away from it and that it was a bit harder edged rock n' roll ala his early solo records.
    Couldn't agree more!! But I've felt this way since day one. I was looking for a Joe Walsh album. NOT a Joe Wilbury album. I like all the songs on the album. Like, not love. What I would LOVE would be if the retired Bill Szymczyk had produced the album!

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

I agree with you guys, BUT it's still a vast improvement over his late 80s / early 90s stuff IMHO. I also appreciate that he's making new music and taking risks. That said, yeah, I'm in the "like but not love" camp for the album.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I also felt that way about it from day one; I was very disappointed with it, and I absolutely love Jeff Lynne. I always thought there was too much filler & I regard it as a lost opportunity; however I think Soda makes a very valid point.

NB: I should point out we do have a Celebration thread which is possibly where any further discussion should be posted.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...ead.php?t=3762

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I agree with you guys, BUT it's still a vast improvement over his late 80s / early 90s stuff IMHO. I also appreciate that he's making new music and taking risks. That said, yeah, I'm in the "like but not love" camp for the album.
    Well, you know I absolutely adore those 2 early 90's discs so..... I'll just say I like the songs on Analog Man but I'm not really a Jeff Lynne fan.

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69