Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering 9/11

Default Re: Remembering 9/11

Here's something I've been working on all day - I'm still not completely happy with it, but I wanted to post it before the day is up. I took footage I found on YouTube of 9/11 and cobbled it together, underlaying it with "Hole in the World."

https://myspace.com/eaglesonlinecent...orld/108181358

As a New Yorker, I watched this unfold from my rooftop. The smoke just covering the downtown area. I think of all those lost that day....
    The song by Don Henley,New York Minute, though written well before this happened, is haunting me today. Words never so true.

Soda, I just watched your video and it brought tears to my eyes. You did a wonderful job compiling newscasts from that fateful morning. I especially love the end, showing the American people come together as we always do during difficult times. Never forget? I wish we would never forget that the American people - dare I say the whole world - could come together not just in times of sorrow, but always.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Soda, loved your video!It is very much empathetically!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Beautifully done video, Soda. Haunting. Disturbing.
    The ending says it all: "Never Forget".
    Well Done.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post

This weekend, MSNBC is rebroading the live coverage of the Today show that was airing at the time this happened.
    That is exactly what I was watching the day it happened. Since I work from home, I had it on like I did every morning and remember that they were talking about it being such a beautiful sunny morning as it was here in Indiana also. I remember watching Matt Lauer & Katie Couric and the others and watching their reactions as it all unfolded on live TV. It all seemed so unbelievable.

The other thing I remember most of all about that day, I watched several kids after school and my own kids were only 10 & 8 also. I remember thinking how many questions I would have as they came home from school and had touched base several times during the day with all the parents on how they wanted me to handle it. The bus stop was only on the corner, 1/2 a block away and usually I stood out in front of the house as they got off but that day I walked to the corner to meet them as they got off. Those kids were all excited, scared and confused and talking a mile a minute. We all went home and talked about it till all their parents showed up to pick them up. I can honestly say, I've never had a talk with a child like I did that day before or since. In all the years of watching children, that had to be one of the hardest days I've ever had with them. I realized, as I listened to all of them, that this would change everything for them and their futures. It would define their lives unlike any other American tragedy has ever defined a child's life before. KWIM?

Soda-- what a stirring video.
    Last edited by TimothyBFan; 09-12-2011 at 01:08 PM.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Thanks for the feedback, guys. HH, since you are New Yorker, your approval is especially meaningful.

TBF - I can't imagine having to explain that to all those kids. How could they understand?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

TBF - I can't imagine having to explain that to all those kids. How could they understand?
    That was actually the problem, Soda. They really couldn't (as most of adults couldn't either). They had been watching coverage on TV at school of planes flying into buildings, etc. and knew something was definitely not right and scary but didn't comprehend exactly what was going on or why everyone seemed so "on edge", teachers, sitters, parents, everyone. I answered questions the best I could with answers that would not scare them more and let the parents take it from there. I think I listened more than anything else too. Definitely not something I would want to ever have to do again.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

10 years ago on September 11th 2001, my eldest daughter started school. Aged 4 years and 4 months. A parent had to go in with the kids first week on their day, (Hannah had just 2 days that first week), and I was that parent in our case. Andy stayed home to look after Rachel, who was 2 years and 4 months. Hannah and I had a good morning and came home at the end of her first day at lunch time 12 o'clock.

About an hour later my Mum rang to see a) how Hannah had got on and b) to ask us if we were watching the news. We weren't but I put it on and once we saw what was unfolding, we sat glued to the TV and couldn't believe our eyes. The poor girls played for nicely quite a while then when they got bored and wanted the TV, we put the TV on in our bedroom to the kids programmes for them. It was an effort to remember to cook any dinner that day and I'm sure that if it hadn't been for the girls we might well have gone without.

My first trip to NY was in 1991 and a friend and I stayed in the Vista International hotel, the hotel in between the twin towers. We had made the trip up to the observation deck on floor 107 to see out over NY early one morning during our stay in NY. The height scared the living daylights out of both of us, but I went round all four sides ...... twice. Once taking photos for both of us as my friend Sally couldn't move. I came back round to her and the second time I went round with my video camera. I wasn't brave enough to go up to the roof though.

Watching that video brings that day back so well. Such a dreadful thing to happen.
    Melanie

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

I didn't think I would post anything here, cause it's still too raw -- even after 10 years, but in the spirit of "Never Forget" it's important to share.

I was home on 9/11/01 enjoying a beautiful Indian-summer morning when all hell broke loose. I immediately called my brother-in-law who was a Captain in the FDNY. I told him they'd announced an "All Hands" (All Fire Fighters go) and wished him luck. He made it home safely -- eventually, but 343 of his "brothers" did not.

Within a half-hour of the second tower being hit all transit into & out of NYC was shut down -- everthing. The only aircraft left in the sky were fighter jets. That was surreal but somehow comforting. Then began the waiting. Who made it out? Who didn't? Has anyone heard from Florence? How about Eddie, Bernie, Kevin, and on and on and on. Some made it out. Some didn't. Everytime the phone rang you'd get a burst of hope. Sometimes the news was good. Most times not.

In the midst of all the sorrow, though, there was a growing sense of community that I later learned extended all over the globe. So in that sense, "they" didn't win.

In watching yesterday's memorials on television and attending several as well, I was struck again at the ages of of the victims. One was 3-years old and one was 89-years old, but it seems most were in their 20's and 30's with so much of life still ahead of them. Sad. Very sad.

Even though it's hard to do, I think it's important to watch the rebroadcasts and documentaries and to remember.

Never Forget.