Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The return of Bernie Leadon

Border Desperado GettheLeadonOut!!'s Avatar

Default The return of Bernie Leadon

So I finally got to see the great Bernie Leadon play with the Eagles and I must tell you I am completely gobsmacked. There have been many lineups of the Eagles but this one is especially unique and special for several reasons.

I know a lot of fans lament that Don Felder is not in the band, but to me the guitarist I always missed in the lineup was Bernie. Felder was and is amazing but, perhaps because I'm a purist, I wanted the guy who played and sang on all those early records. The other night I got to see that. Bernie played all his old solos, "Take It Easy", "Tequila Sunrise", "Peaceful Easy Feeling", "witchy Woman", "Already Gone", "Lyin' Eyes" etc. And his harmony vocals, such a key part to those early records, really anchored the band, "doolin' dalton", "desperado" & "reprise" were especially sublime.

The best part about it was seeing him share the stage and interact with his replacement Joe Walsh, who I worship as much as any musician. You put Tim Schmit, Glenn Frey and Don Henley on top of that, my God what an incredible Eagles lineup. The only place I might have missed Felder was on Hotel California and the solo for OOTN. But truth be told, Steuart Smith does more than a stellar job handling those solos.

I understand Bernie is only a "special guest" this tour, I doubt he would want full membership anyway. He's not really into being a rock star, never has been. But his being on this tour is a brilliant stroke by Glenn. Basically, it helps bring the band full circle and gives fans one of the finest Eagles lineups ever! My only hope is that Bernie doesn't go surfing at the end of this tour. Please stay Bernie!!
    High up on his own, the Eagle flies alone and he is free...

Default Re: The return of Bernie Leadon

I'm with you! Such a thrill seeing Bernie again. Regardless of whether or not it's an "official" line up, seeing those five out on the stage together - hearing his harmonies, hearing "Train leaves here this morning," hearing the solos.... Who would have thought it would happen in a million years? I feel very lucky to have gotten to see it and I wish every Eagles fan could.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Troubadour

Agree it's great to see him back. I just wish he'd whip out the rare instruments he used to play, like banjo for Take It Easy or mandolin for Tequila Sunrise (he could well play it on that, I can't recall!) The only slight reservations I have with it all is that for songs like TITTL and whatever you end up with four or five guitarists covering only two or three separate parts. Whilst it is great to see them all together and whatnot I miss the days when Henley was on drums and and Glenn split his time between piano and guitar Also, and this is absolutely nothing personal, he seems a little out of place at times, like after Desperado ends on the recording I saw, the other four all do their usual waving at the crowd and he just wanders around with his hands in his pockets. But it sure is great to have him back regardless. Just a shame Randy couldn't make it due to his health; and Felder because of ongoing legal matters

Border Desperado GettheLeadonOut!!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Agree it's great to see him back. I just wish he'd whip out the rare instruments he used to play, like banjo for Take It Easy or mandolin for Tequila Sunrise (he could well play it on that, I can't recall!) The only slight reservations I have with it all is that for songs like TITTL and whatever you end up with four or five guitarists covering only two or three separate parts. Whilst it is great to see them all together and whatnot I miss the days when Henley was on drums and and Glenn split his time between piano and guitar Also, and this is absolutely nothing personal, he seems a little out of place at times, like after Desperado ends on the recording I saw, the other four all do their usual waving at the crowd and he just wanders around with his hands in his pockets. But it sure is great to have him back regardless. Just a shame Randy couldn't make it due to his health; and Felder because of ongoing legal matters
    He does play his banjo for "Doolin' Dalton> Desperado Reprise" but I agree, he could be given a showcase like the early days ("Blackberry Blossom" anyone?). I also love those guitar stings he does on DD. And btw, that is Bernie you hear on mandolin during "Saturday Night", albeit backstage. I'm certain of it.
    High up on his own, the Eagle flies alone and he is free...

Stuck on the Border

I wonder if it will give a boost to his future projects. All of us who had maybe forgotten about him might pay more attention now we know he "still has it".

I was looking back at the speculation when he was first rumoured and it's funny to see that so many thought he'd just show up for a few dates. I'm thrilled that he's going to be on the european tour, too.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I wonder if it will give a boost to his future projects. All of us who had maybe forgotten about him might pay more attention now we know he "still has it".

I was looking back at the speculation when he was first rumoured and it's funny to see that so many thought he'd just show up for a few dates. I'm thrilled that he's going to be on the european tour, too.
    Has that been confirmed?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Has that been confirmed?
    Not officially but I remember a blogger who's interviewed Bernie said that Bernie had confirmed he'd be on the european leg.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Thanks for the great review Gettheleadonout.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Gtlo, I had wondered if Bernie was playing the mandolin on SN. I hope it is and if it is, I wonder why they don't mention it after he walks on stage? They could mention it when they introduce him.

I love seeing him!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Good to hear from you, GTLO and so happy for you that you were able to see Bernie and the boys in L.A. I love having Bernie back as well. I agree with you about Bernie playing mandolin on Saturday Night. I believe that is him also. But, like Brooke said, I wish they would mention it, if that is the case. And I also love the interplay on stage between between Bernie and Joe. If appearances onstage mean anything, it appears that all the band is having a really good time on this tour.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016