Thread: Remembering 9/11

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Default Re: Remembering 9/11

"tHERE ARE NO WORDS".......

09-11-2001....NEVER FORGET......

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    I wish I was a fly on the wall when our guys got together that night and started writing that beautiful song...did any other major music acts write a song about that day?...God bless the USA...can't believe it's eleven years...I would love to visit the memorials in all three places someday.
    Zelda, I shared Alan Jackson's song on Facebook, check it out. You don't need to like country music to enjoy it!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I remember that day like it was yesterday. It was a beautiful & sunny day here. When the first plane struck the tower, Katie Couric broke in with the news story & at first it was reported as a possible accident, but when the second plane hit, we all knew it was a terrorist attack. I had worked across the street from the WTC a few months before it happened & would go there every day for coffee or at lunch time to shop in the beautiful shops on the lobby floor. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I was crying. My friends husband was in the lobby when the plane hit. He said all the glass shattered, the building shook violently & they were told to leave immediately. One of his coworkers was in an elevator on the way up to a meeting.....The rest of the people from his company were killed on a very high floor above the hit.

Later many of us went up to our roof where we have a view of the city & we could see the smoke & even smell the fire. Many people who lived in my building had to walk from Manhattan to Queens because the city was in total emergency lock down...Everyone was sent home from work. I think I was in shock for several days after. It was the saddest day in NYC history.....RIP to all that passed that day & bless those heroes that saved many lives. 911 will never be forgotten.

It's good to hear from New York Borderers who saw this tragedy first hand. For many of us it seemed surreal. We were hearing the news but couldn't believe what we were hearing. As I've mentioned here before, Hubby and I were vacationing at Disneyworld Florida and were on our second day there visiting Epcot when we heard the news. The park was immediately closed, and we went to our hotel room and turned on the TV.

This is how the picture of Hubby turned out, taken just minutes before we found out that the Towers had been hit.

~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

thanks TK for your recollection...It is special to hear from someone who was actually near one of the three sites that day...

My friends husband, who was in the lobby had stopped to get Dunkin' Doughnuts coffee before his meeting. That single act saved his life. They were having a breakfast at 8:30 & a meeting at 9:00, but he wanted DD coffee instead of the coffee they were having at the breakfast. All the others were already upstairs except that one guy who was in the elevator, who also survived. When you think about how fate stepped in here to save him, it's really a miracle. He had 2 young daughters at the time.

A few days after the attack, my fiance & I went down to a Memorial service that was held in Union Square Park, not that far from downtown Manhattan. There were hundreds of flowers & candles laid out. I remember people were singing "Give Peace a Chance" & "Imagine" by John Lennon. There were signs everywhere with photos of people who were missing; their relatives praying that they would be found. Sadly most of them were among the dead. It was a sobering moment, to realize that most of these photos were of very young people who had so much to live for. Life is fragile; enjoy it while you can because you just never know what is around the corner. Very sad today as I look back on it. The sun is shining & it is clear as can be out there, exactly the same as it was 11 years ago.
    Last edited by Topkat; 09-11-2012 at 11:30 AM. Reason: addition

I can only imagine what that must have been like, TK. Thanks for sharing.

As I've said before, over in Houston where I was teaching at the time, they locked us down just in case there were attacks on NASA. People were panicking all over the country, even thousands of miles away. Thank God something like this hasn't happened in this country again in the interim 11 years, and I pray it never will.

That's why I never complain about security at airports. At least they're trying.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

I've been a blood donor since 1987 -- I've got the "good stuff" O negative, CMV negative -- so that morning I immediately went to donate. Within an hour there were hundreds of people lined up and waiting to give blood. It was sobering and heartening. I'd never seen anything like it.

I remember the streets were chaotic because the highways and mass transit were shut down and the thousands of cars that would normally travel on the expressway and parkways were forced to use secondary roads, but unlike a "normal" day in NY traffic, people were actually civil to one another. I didn't hear one horn honking.

I live near one of the flight paths for JFK Airport so I'd normally see and hear planes on approach for landing all day. I remember it being eerily quiet, except for the fighter jets that patrolled the skies for days afterward. To look up and see low-flying, high-speed aircraft was surreal.

I remember feeling horrified and helpless watching the rescue effort turn to a recovery mission -- realizing that with each passing hour the likelihood of seeing missing friends and family alive again was greatly diminished.

Now I try and remember to celebrate every day I'm given and to remember that every day is a gift.
    Last edited by Henley Honey; 09-11-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Because I have epilepsy and have had a grand mal seizure within the past 12 months, and also because I am on anti-convulsant medication, they won't let me donate blood. (I have not gone an entire year without at least one grand mal seizure in a long time.) I applaud those who do, however! It's moving to think of so many people willing to help.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I remember that day like it was yesterday. It was a beautiful & sunny day here. When the first plane struck the tower, Katie Couric broke in with the news story & at first it was reported as a possible accident, but when the second plane hit, we all knew it was a terrorist attack.
    One of my first thoughts this morning was of you TK--- I guess because I knew you live in NY and I often wonder what all of you must go through every year on that anniversary. Here in the Midwest, the fright was bad enough, I can't even fathom how scared everyone in that city must of been that day and for several months afterwards and probably to this day on occasion.

I also remember what kind of a beautiful day it was and I was watching the Today Show also. I remember vividly watching it unfold and the looks on Katie and Matt's faces. I remember that Matt was on the phone with an eyewitness to the first plane and remember her stating she had just heard another plane fly in very low and within seconds, we watched the 2nd plane hit the 2nd tower. Everyone in this country was in shock and we instantly knew we were under attack.

How many of you remember hearing the sound of a plane overhead for the first time after the no fly had been lifted? It was something that could easily send a chill down your spine, that's for sure.

It's a day and a time in all of our lives that none of will ever forget.
    He sings it high, he plays it low